Do you keep a listening diary?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The_Windmill, Nov 13, 2016.

1. dynamic73

dynamic73 Forum Resident

I've been keeping a diary of sorts using Discogs. I keep track of when I bought the album, it's condition, cover condition, and how much I liked it. I use the side notes at the end. To write down the sound quality and other personal notes. I really like discogs for keeping track of what I have and how much I enjoyed it. I've been doing this for about 4 years now.

2. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

No, but I wish I had.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  3. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

I am cataloging my vinyl as I listen to it, I suppose that is a diary of sorts.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  4. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Question to those who do this online: is there a simple site that allows daily posts with miminal fuss on which you could post your listening diary online – and index it? Something with the on-the-move conveninece of Twitter but the searchability of Blogger?

Edit: this is for albums only, not individual track titles. Thanks.

5. Klassik

Klassik Guerilla BeatLOLogist

It was a lot easier 20 years ago than now, when 'presenters' tend to be presenting the content of their brain, not the tunes. Thank Rod for DAB 'Playing Now' info

6. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

This place IS my listening diary.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  7. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

I'm going to do this this year. Got a nice week to view diary that I'll use to record every album I listen to and every gig I go to. I'm only going to log albums that I play on the hi-fi and I'll write a sentence or two about the album and sound quality, and give a rating out of 10 :)

8. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

I've been keeping track of the albums I listen to in Microsoft Access DB since 2012. It's handy to see what albums I haven't listened to in a long time. I'm often surprised in how long it's been since I listened to a particular album. Time flys!

LarsO likes this.
  9. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

That's not a diary/journal. Which means you probably aren't a diary kind of guy! :D

Robert C likes this.
  10. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

Interesting concept, but I've never kept any sort of listening diary. I do pay attention to my iTunes "play count" (as I do almost all of my listening from iTunes, whether mobile or at home). The play count gives me actual numbers, so I know how many times I've listened to any given track in my current iTunes library, which dates back to about 2010. It's a fascinating glimpse into what I actually listen to vs. what I think I listen to the most.

11. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident

All I care about is how many hours I'm putting on my Jico SAS. That I'll track, so I don't have to wonder/guesstimate later.

12. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

I've been keeping a listening log for about 4 years now. Once my wife and I bought a house and I was able to 'organize' my collection into a 'rock room' I then started to keep track of my sessions in spiral notebooks.

I note a quick specification of the medium played, date, title and maybe a notation of some musical anniversary. Bootlegs get a bit more detail.

Like has been previously stated, it's cool to be able to back reference your listening habits in order to keep things fresh.

Brenald79 and LarsO like this.
  13. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

I only keep a listening diary for the Grateful Dead as I listen to so much that if I have any chance of remembering most of it, I better write it down! :D

RockRoom likes this.
  14. Probably not. I will make a note and on my digital device it keeps a list.

Zeki likes this.
  15. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

16. John54

John54 Senior Member

In 1998 I started listening to a lot of records I hadn't listened to much, and made notes. I still have the notebook and I look at it once in a while. Mostly I would note which tracks I liked, and sometimes a whole LP would be pretty good. One, offhand, was self-titled by a band called Eclection.

17. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I am starting to this year. I use a yearly day planner book where I'm going to write my top 10 most played and favorite albums of the week.

18. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I haven't read all 5 pages, but iTunes keep track of when and how many times you've played songs. You can also like (heart) your catalogue. But I don't pay attention to stuff like that or do a dairy. :shrug:

19. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I like to write down albums and rank the tracks 1-5.
    I also list out all the albums I own

20. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

Sure, I log every listening session... there's too much stuff going on to keep track of it just with my memory ;)

I use a simple Excel file, every record I buy goes in it with all details (name/title/matrix/cat-number/barcode the date of purchase, price and where) and I mark, for each LP, the number of times I played it, and the date of the last time I played it... as well as my music/sonic impressions :)

Robert C likes this.
  21. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I wrote diary about which song I recorded on which day, including take and mastering number and stuff, back in 2008-2011.
    But a diary about listening to music isn't a bad idea, maybe I will do this sometime.

22. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

I've been following the "10 last albums you listened to" thread over at the Long And Winding Threads. This is for inspiration and an overview of my own habits. I make a note on my iphone and copy it into a more tidy version in word. I have one such word document for each year since 2013.

23. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Not a diary per say, but I have my methods...usually I'll rip a disc into iTunes and make a playlist. I keep the discs next to my desk and use the playlist and/or disc as a reminder that I have to get to it.

I do have old playlists I made as a teenager (vinyl transferred to cassette) that I sometimes go back to and chuckle...I used to like to see how to get from the heaviest of songs to the popiest of songs in the fewest moves.

24. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Yep, digital. I have a few things, constantly being tweaked. One is a spreadsheet for each year that tracks all of the albums I buy each year that notes album details, when I purchased it, tentative ratings, number of listens, etc. I also keep monthly "Listening Logs" on RateYourMusic, where I list every album I play, with off the top of the head thoughts and comments, along with a rating (that ties in with RYM's rating scale) and my two favorite tracks.

The_Windmill likes this.
  25. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

Just deleted some posts... Please remember to NOT feed the trolls, but to simply report the post and the staff will take care of it.

Keep discussions civilized and respectful.

Thank you.

The_Windmill and SergioRZ like this.