Do you keep a listening diary?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The_Windmill, Nov 13, 2016.

1. street legal

street legal Senior Member

For anyone answering in the affirmative to the OP's question, I have to wonder how active their sex life is. ;)

I admit that mine is not quite as active as I would like it to be, but for an entirely different reason . . . I am a married man! :)

2. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

I think about this a lot. Chances are we all have things in our collections we won’t have time to play again. The collection gets bigger as time gets shorter...

Folknik likes this.
  3. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

I read about Henry Rollins keeping a log of his listening. He includes notes, the format (vinyl/CD), everything.

I tried keeping one, but realized I'm not as interesting as I thought I was. I might listen to a wide array of artists, but on paper I just listen to that same group of freaks over and over.

4. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

I'm trying to imagine how enormous a fifty-year "listening diary" would have to be, and why I would ever look at it.

5. Dave Gilmour's Cat

How are the listening diaries going?! Anyone else still keeping theirs?

RockRoom likes this.
  6. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

12-9-2018

Stones On Air CD
    John Martyn Grace and Danger LP
    John Martyn One World LP
    Grateful Dead 11-19-72 II FLAC

;)

Dave Gilmour's Cat likes this.
  7. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Still keeping mine; 2011 to date.

RockRoom and Dave Gilmour's Cat like this.
  8. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

A good and a bad thing at the same time. I'd rather have more records than time to listen. I remember having these same 20 CDs for years because I couldn't afford more; I knew them by heart. Not a good thing.

Dave Gilmour's Cat likes this.
  9. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

Yep! Still log everything in my spreadsheets.

Most frequent listen this year is Bent Knee’s “Land Animal”.

10. BillyMacQ

BillyMacQ Forum Resident

Sorta/kinda. I have a monthly Friday happy hour vinyl listening party with friends (and yes, believe it or not, there are women involved, too). During the party I'll document what we're spinning in posts to a Facebook Group that includes people from all over the world. It's great fun to post the pics and sometimes even short videos and then read the comments later that night when I'm back home. Sometimes they'll even inspire a long distance request via text for us to play a record. We take turns choosing/playing a full side from an album. Mostly hard and heavy classic rock - Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, AC/DC, ZZ Top, Grand Funk, James Gang, Motorhead, BOC, to name just a few. We also recently started digging more into funk like Curtis Mayfield, Isley Brothers, Ohio Players, James Brown, Parliament/Funkadelic, etc. We started doing this a few years ago. At the time, everyone brought a few albums with them. My friend hosts the party in his office. It's classic. Like something right out of the 70s. Huge leather couch, shag carpeting, wood paneling, beer logo clocks on the walls. Nice Marantz receiver and a Technics turntable. Kind of a Frankenstein speaker set up. Sounds great. Over the past year or so, everyone's been making "donations" to the "inventory" of records. We've quickly built up a nice collection so it isn't necessary to bring records any more. I'd say there are at least a few hundred albums on site. We've even gotten some of these donations from our "fans" on Facebook. Great stuff, lotta fun, lotta fun. My avatar pic was taken at one of the parties.

Love,
    Billy

E.Baba likes this.
  11. acemachine26

acemachine26 Forum Resident

I have a pretty good memory and I memorise the album cover. I can tell if I've listened to an album simply by looking at it's cover. I only write down a want list of records to get and which particular pressing I'm after.

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, in my head...it's all filed.

melstapler likes this.
  13. Soopernaut

Soopernaut Forum Resident

Not a diary, but I have lists. I have notebooks of songs I've heard, lists of bands and albums.

I listened to lots of college, community and other non-commercial radio and was exposed to lots of unfamiliar music. As a teenager I would write down blocks of music I listened to and put a mark by it that determined how much I liked it. Now I only write down songs that I really like.

I also have a spreadsheet of bands I've discovered this year that numbers 200, although there are several hundred more that were written in a notebook and haven't been transferred yet. I list the band, where they are from, the type of music, the years they were active, the number of albums/EPs/singles/etc and a space for any other information.

14. ScaryMercedes

ScaryMercedes Forum Residents

Kind of. During the mp3 era, every few months I would keep a "favorites" playlist. It would, of course, be different every time. A few years in I realized I should probably keep hanging onto these, and amazingly, I found them all. I've been keeping these intact and available to me, from platform to platform, for over 15 years now. When I pick one, it brings me straight back to who and where I was then. I don't do any other sort of journalling; that does it for me.

The_Windmill likes this.
  15. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Recently, I started getting serious about such a diary. Essentially, I jot down stream-of-consciences notes while enjoying music. It has been rewarding.

mr.datsun and The_Windmill like this.
  16. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Just music or generally?

17. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Asking me?

18. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

Jim_Parkin’s Library | Last.fm

It has become 100% accurate and reflective of all my listening thanks to the scrobble function in the Discogs app which I cottoned onto last month for the first time. I believe it was first included by the app developer at the end of 2018. About 10% of my classical music collection is still missing on Discogs but that's another sad chapter to a mostly very happy story!

19. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I should, but don't.
    I can try and keep it in my head, but often when I look through the collection to see what I want to listen to, I wrongly tell myself that I have listened to something recently ... when it has been years and I am just very familiar with it, and seeing it there

20. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

For my LPs, CD, and cassette listening on my stereo system, I use Instagram link in the signature below as my own journal.

21. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Still keeping one? I am.

22. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Yep... handwritten notes.

Detailing SQ and any EQ I need to apply to make some songs sound better.

And when playing songs on Various Artists comps (I love Various Artists comps :righton: ) which are Mono or Stereo or, most importantly (when Stereo), if they have the vocals (and bass and drums) centered...

The problem is, I always intend to transfer my notes to a place where I can take advantage of them... but rarely do! :shake:
    :doh:

23. modela

modela Forum Resident

Did you eventually decide on an online solution? I saw your post about suggestions above. I think Evernote or Standard Notes could be a good choices.

24. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

If I want to make a note of what I'm listening to, I generally post somewhere on SHF! :p Sorry to anyone who thought that my prolific forum participation was entirely altruistic ... :D

The_Windmill likes this.
  25. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident Thread Starter

Oh, I ultimately dropped the whole thing. I'm too lazy and the need for that is basically gone.