Do You Listen to Indonesian Songs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Umbari, Jun 2, 2023.

1. acemachine26

acemachine26 Forum Resident

This is another fascinating record. I think this genre is called Jaipongan? Very unique vocals:

lschwart and speedracer like this.
  2. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Their parents either served in the KNIL (Dutch East Indies Army) in 1945-1948 or one of their parents.
    This music than called "Indorock" introduced Holland to rock music, without them there would be no Golden Earring, Motions, Tee Set, Shocking Blue who all admitted that Indorock inspied them to pick up an instrument.
    The most important ones included Tielman Brothers, Jumping Jewels and Blue Diamonds. Some of them played the bigger venues in Hamburg in the early 60s and were more highly regarded by the German club owners than the English bands. The show element played a role here.
    Next to that there are bands formed by people from the Maluku Islands such as Massada.

speedracer likes this.
  3. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

4. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

Here's Dewa Budjana with the great bassist from Mumbai, Mohini Dey:

5. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

This is great, thx. Bingo, Qobuz has Dara Puspita. Qobuz rules for this sort of thing.

Whoa! Fantastic sounds. This bears further exploration. When was this made? Qobuz fail. Defeated Spotify too.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2023
    Sweet Cheerio likes this.
  6. speedracer

Last edited: Jun 5, 2023
    acemachine26 likes this.
  7. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

That is way cool!

I don't know of any Indonesian music, traditional or otherwise. However, as a native of Hong Kong, I often see HK pop stars play to packed arenas in Indonesia. I also heard of the anti-Chinese violence in Indonesia every so often. Is that still a thing?

From the above link, I tracked down a various artists album that included Samuel Hui from the early 70s. He just played to a packed Reno (Nevada) Event Center last Sunday.

8. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member Thread Starter

A clone of The Rolling Stones from Indonesia. :D

starduster and speedracer like this.
  9. acemachine26

acemachine26 Forum Resident

Almost forgot to mention this great record:

Melele likes this.
  10. speedracer

The Rolling Clones! Not bad at all

starduster likes this.
  11. Indonesia has a slew of talented vocaloid producers. Perhaps my favorite of these is Damval:

Damval - "Angeloid" vocal by GUMi

12. ostrichfarm

ostrichfarm Forum Resident

Very cool! I sadly don't know much Indonesian music beyond the obvious things (e.g. kecak) and/or traditional music, Nyi Tjondro Lukito being one name that comes to mind. Lots of good stuff in this thread to catch up with.

13. Umbari

It's kinda ironic. Because most Indonesians don't care about our own traditional music. :sigh:

ostrichfarm likes this.
  14. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Here's a little song that's gonna please you
    a little town down in Indonesia

Bangkok

15. Jim Fixx

Jim Fixx Forum Resident

Traditional Balinese music gives me a massive headache but their pop scene isn't too bad.

16. Melele

Melele Groover

Yes! Itje Trisnawati, Elvi Sukaesih, Koes Plus, Lin Dan Bimbo, Qasidah, Rhoma Irama, Mansyur S. I’m a big fan of old school dangdut.

17. You mean stuff like Superman is Dead? :) I remember this was all over Indonesian MTV almost 20 years ago.

starduster likes this.
  18. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

There was a girl who released some 10" LPs in the late 60's called Aida Mustafa. She did some pretty swinging stuff

19. Umbari

Oh my god... :D
    Try this one. Rhoma Irama's son.

20. Umbari

Yes! That's what I'm talking about. SID were very cool when we were in high school, about 11-12 years ago. They're like our version of Green Day/blink-182.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  21. Melele

Melele Groover

Wow, terimah kasih Umbari. That was a crazy video! He’s got a nice voice, similar to his dad’s. Big shoes to fill.

22. Umbari

Sama-sama (you're welcome), Melele. :agree:

He did a great job. His version of his father's songs are more interesting to our generation (born in 1990s). And the female music lovers were crazy abot him!

Melele likes this.
  23. Melele

Melele Groover

I only have a few records from Indonesia, but one of my favorites is “Sedikit Dangdut” by Trio Bimbo with Lin on the Remaco label. It probably sounds dated to the youngsters, but I love the sunny harmonies and pop melodies. My favorite era.

24. Umbari

When it comes to Indonesia's old records, they sound really dated. Young music listeners usually can't stand it.

Melele likes this.
  25. You could probably just say:

Most _______ don't care about our own traditional music. (Insert name of random country)