Do you need to spend a lot of money on a cdplayer?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Slayne, Dec 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slayne

Slayne Proper geezer Thread Starter

When it comes to vinyl i get the impression that you need to spend $1000 and up to get some decent stuff, you know the whole thing with them being more delicate, getting some good cartridges etc.

Can the same be said for a cd player? Or did the premium technology from a decade ago, or longer, get so cheap to make that you now get it in budget players?

I would mostly play records, but there's quite a few albums out there that's only available on CD that I would like to play but I rather not spend $1000 or so for a cd player... how does the current genertions of say, the Yamaha cd players around $500 or so hold up? Or is this one of those times you should try the second hand market.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  2. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I don't think so- you can get into a basic Cambridge Audio or NAD for less than $300... definitely $500 can get you something decent new. Of course, you'll get more for your money used- if you pay close attention to the local thrift stores, you might even score something really nice for next to nothing.

PhxJohn, longdist01 and bluesky like this.
  3. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Just be aware that the older the player, the less likely it will play burned CDs. My dads old Onkyo player from the 90s sounds great, but won't play anything but redbook CDs... and even then it can be picky. I also have an old Sony DVD player I use for the burned CDs and hi-res I've burned to DVD.

4. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Yamaha makes nice CD players as well as other stuff!

5. Slayne

in my case i do think it needs to be fairly new as i would like to at least be able to play flac on recorded cds (or even from a usb-stick, unless that really has a negative effect on the sound quality). i'm not a big fan of streaming even though i have noticed that some cdplayers these days comes with a lot of streaming options included as well. so i suppose that will narrow the selection down quite a bit.

rcsrich likes this.
  6. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Yes:cheers:

The Pinhead, Tim 2 and F1nut like this.
  7. George P

George P Notable Member

If you only want to play CDs, this $500 Denon should give you great sound: Denon DCD-800NE Single-disc CD player with front-panel USB at Crutchfield

I own the Denon DCD-1600NE SACD player, which uses the same DAC as the 800NE. I had the $300 Yamaha CD-S300 before that and it was very reliable, but the Denon was a clear step up. Better clarity and detail.

SandAndGlass, longdist01 and Slayne like this.
  8. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I find it odd that the response is you don't need to spend a lot, just a few hundred. :eek:

I would think a CD player should be well under $100. I'm talking a pure disc player, nothing more i.e. no expensive DAC (assuming one already has a good DAC in their amp).

What exactly are you paying for when spending multiple hundred?

JimmyCool and SandAndGlass like this.
  9. Slayne

most cd-players start at $200 and over, if youre buying new regardless of features.

10. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

11. Slayne

thanks that's a really interesting suggestion as it seems to focus on the, for me, two most imporant things: playing cds and flac via usb-stick. ill check that out for sure.

longdist01 and George P like this.
  12. George P

George P Notable Member

Good luck!

Tim 2 and rcsrich like this.
  13. Razakoz

Razakoz Forum Resident

Plenty of good CD players can be had for under $500. It's a mature technology at this point, and there's no need to spend a ton for a decent player.

SBurke likes this.
  14. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

I think, if we are talking about a dedicated CD transport, because person has a separate DAC, well, who is going to buy such a machine? Probably an audiophile. So those machines are likely to be built to a higher standard and wouldn't be cheap. Personally, I wouldn't expect much from a transport costing less than $100.

But a lot of us don't have a separate DAC, including the OP if I am not mistaken. So we should consider the DAC and analog output section.

I don't think one has to spend a lot, but higher priced players generally sound better. Just like most things in this hobby. If the budget is $500,I would probably want a player with a digital out so that the DAC can be upgraded if you choose to down the road.

Andy Pandy and Lebowski like this.
  15. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Yes, but only if you like music.

Nice Marmot likes this.
  16. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Things aren't better just because they cost more. They are better because of something...

What is that "something" when it comes to a CD player? You say expensive generally sounds better and I'm trying to learn why. Aside from a great DAC, what particular aspect(s) warrant spending that much?

Deano6 likes this.
  17. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Budget CDP's do not sound anywhere near as good as more expensive ones. If one does a direct comparison it's quite evident.

Mr.Sign, MackKnife, scobb and 5 others like this.
  18. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Great sound ?

Mr.Sign, bhazen, Bradd and 1 other person like this.
  19. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Because of what, a magical laser? A digital fairy? Please enlighten me, I'm genuinely trying to learn.

20. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

The only way you'll learn is by listening. Start there.

21. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Better built chassis, higher quality transport, separate power supplies, high grade components, better circuit topology, better designed DAC, etc.

22. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Your mocking says otherwise.

finn, Francois1968, scobb and 5 others like this.
  23. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I was trying to illustrate that until I get an answer that's all I'm left to assume.

Thankfully you answered my question above.

24. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Ok, very good.

In addition, some think the DAC chip is the major difference between players. While the chip(s) obviously play a role it's of equal or greater importance as to how that chip or chips are implemented in the circuit.

25. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

And talk about mocking - "listen for yourself" is not an answer to my question and carries a very condescending tone.

kannibal and Deano6 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.