Do you prefer Red Rose Speedway as a single or double-album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Jan 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

And my copy of the 45 has a skip on Side A, so I only listen to the B-side. .. ;)

2. Arnold Grove

As I have previously posted elsewhere:

Commercially and critically, from a 1973 standpoint, the decision to go with a single LP was the correct choice. However, the inclusion of certain songs at the expense of other songs on the single LP is debatable, and it is likely a better single LP could have been cobbled together. (But you can be sure that everyone would have a different version of what should have been included or not.)

With hindsight though, from a 2018-2019 viewpoint, a sprawling, somewhat noncohesive, slightly messy double LP is way more INTERESTING. And in general, a flawed double LP typically gets more critical acclaim than a similarly flawed single album. People tend to judge double LPs differently than single LPs, giving them more leeway in a critical sense.

HOWEVER: Critics in 1973 would have inevitably compared Paul's double Red Rose Speedway to The Who's Quadrophenia and The Stones Exile On Main Street, or even Todd Rundgren's Something/Anything. And I think Paul's album would have been deemed lightweight and inconsequential compared to those albums. However, in a 2018-2019 assessment, Paul's double version would have gained approval---as it seems to be judged now.

Wil1972, Ludger, Dr. Pepper and 10 others like this.
  3. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

Glad you mentioned Todd Rundgrens Something/Anything. That one is a true desert island disc for ne
    RRS is lightweight and inconsequential but that s the way Paul is. However I personally find tracks like Dragonfly or Mommas little girl far from lightweight. In their own way they are both heartfelt and emotional

Arnold Grove likes this.
  4. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

I've been loving the double album. In fact the first disc I think would have made a great single lp. My critique is that the Medley really weighs the album down . It's the most uninteresting thing on it so to me it really hurts the original release.

fdsfd and FJFP like this.
  5. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

I agree. I have the double vinyl version and it is quite enjoyable. It's one of those times when the single album feels like a truncated version of something meant to be longer.

Dr. Pepper and FJFP like this.
  6. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

I haven't heard the 2LP version yet but I'm familiar with most (all but twonot sung by Paul) of the tracks there and my feeling is that there is not enough quality material for a 2LP there.

However, I will refrain from voting until I actually hear it.

7. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

Single. Good to listen to the double version now but I can’t imagine the critical/commercial reception at the time.

There’s some nice songs in the double but also some throwaways IMHO.

8. Arnold Grove

Also:

If the double-LP version of Red Rose Speedway had been released, it is possible that "I Lie Around" and "Country Dreamer" would NOT have been used as B-sides (for "Live and Let Die" and "Helen Wheels", respectively). In that case, Paul would have needed 2 other non-LP songs to use as B-sides (presuming that he would continue to use non-LP B-sides).

What could those other songs have been?

9. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

Of the two options, the double . . . simply using the "more is better" theory.

At the time, a single lp consisting of the following would likely have fared better still:

1. Hi, Hi, Hi
    2. Country Dreamer
    3. Big Barn Bed
    4. Live And Let Die
    5. Tragedy
    6. I Lie Around

1. The Mess
    2. C Moon
    3. My Love
    4. Get On The Right Thing
    5. Little Lamb Dragonfly

10. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

See what I mean? He’s even catching flak for that masterpiece. :D

Dr. Pepper and Arnold Grove like this.
  11. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

I always thought there was something off about the sequencing of the original album. Get On the Right Thing sounds like a better opener to me than Big Barn Bed and My Love should have either closed side 1 or opened side 2.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  12. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Interestingly, this song was released back in the day actually. It was the b-side of the single 'Helen Wheels'.

13. HeavensAbove

HeavensAbove Forum Resident

I appreciate finally having all of the extra tracks on the 2 LP edition, but I believe the 1 LP edition plays better as a coherent album. The 2 LP edition feels a bit overlong and disjointed, kind of like Wings' own version of The White Album.
    :hide:

Of course, my opinion might be due to having lived with the 1 LP version of RRS for so long (it's one of my fave McCartney albums).

14. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

Was never a huge fan of this record...until I heard the 2lp version. I firmly believe this is how it should have been released initially.

15. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I just put together a playlist with the double album running order, and I think it gets my vote.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  16. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Love the 2 LP version it has been in heavy rotation on my turntable since I got it I think it flows really well and it was a great idea to have it released now, better late than never.

Dr. Pepper and JDeanB like this.
  17. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

If one were to buy the double cd deluxe edition, are all the songs from the double LP on there?

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  18. Arnold Grove

Yes.

But you would have to put the 20 songs into a different order to match the proposed order of the double-album version.

Dr. Pepper, linclink and Tom Daniels like this.
  19. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

I think it comes off better as a double ,but that doesn't mean a single lp with new track list wouldn't be better too

Dr. Pepper and linclink like this.
  20. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

Thank you Mr Grove. I put all my CDs on my hard drive, so it is just a playlist.

21. Cachiva

Cachiva Forum Resident

I'm with you, Alexpop. Mostly high marks for the original
    tracks, and mostly meh for the added tracks.

Yep. Mostly all of the original tracks survive, and you
    only get the new ones by having 6 tracks per side!

Whaaa??? You did! Oh my goodness, you are inscrutable, Alexpop!

alexpop likes this.
  22. Arnold Grove

Then you will be set. Plus the other bonus tracks on the second CD, like Hi Hi Hi, Live and Let Die (original and take 10 versions), and C Moon, are excellent too.

Dr. Pepper and andrewskyDE like this.
  23. supermd

supermd Senior Member

True, but Paul's single-LP version was already judged lightweight against the other single-LP heavy hitters of 1972/3, so I'm not sure if it would have made a difference on that front.

But great post and insights. :)

Arnold Grove likes this.
  24. supermd

supermd Senior Member

"1882 (Live)" would work on "Live and Let Die."

Mechanical Man, Dr. Pepper and FJFP like this.
  25. Saul Pimon

Saul Pimon Co-hosts Nothing Is Real Beatles Podcast (Jason!)

I’m now beginning to wonder whether RRS should’ve been a triple album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.