Do you prefer Red Rose Speedway as a single or double-album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Jan 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

No, that would be the White Album. :p

Saul Pimon, andrewskyDE and linclink like this.
  2. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Love the Double album. I'd still close off the album with the medley though.

3. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

Love the double album.
    RRS is one of my favorite archive sets

Dr. Pepper and Bemagnus like this.
  4. dylankicks

dylankicks Forum Resident

Does it have some flaws, yes, but RRS has really grown on me over the years. I like the "Medley" more and more as time goes. It's a shame to me that "Mama's Little Girl" has been sort of an obscure tune over the years; it's one of the best from this era IMO. Yes, some of the songs are underdeveloped in spots, but there are tons of great piano melodies and he was singing fantastically during this era. I voted Double!

5. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

I guess RRS always will be the original one-on real Life that is. For my listening pleasure the Double-album will be the prefered version
    One thing some of us already knew but the archiwe-releases gives proof of is that the WL and RRS era was a much more creatively fruitful period than it s generally given credit for. It s very easy to prove this by just making a playlist from the era that s rather impressive
    Some people never know
    Dear Friend
    Tomorrow
    Wild Life
    Hi,Hi,Hi
    Soily
    The Mess
    C Moon
    Live and let die
    Little lamb Dragonfly
    Mommas Little girl
    Big barn bed
    My Love
    Country dreamer
    Best Friend
    Also should add that at the end of this era Paul composed and started to rehearse what became Band on the run. Those who claim Paul did not do much before that album are flat out wrong. I mean before this period we have McCartney and Ram with songs like Maybe Im amazed or Uncle Albert plus singles like Another day
    Amazing how Paul keot his creativity but also changed his musical language in a short period of years
    And imo the double album RRS almost equall Ram and Band on the Run when it comes to melodic strenght and musical colouring

Dr. Pepper and supermd like this.
  6. Bemagnus

So far it seems the Double-album is a winner among the fans.

Dr. Pepper, Eska68, supermd and 2 others like this.
  7. RJD1954

RJD1954 Forum Resident

How true. This is to me a dire album, the less of it the better.

Mechanical Man likes this.
  8. Bemagnus

Good to know
    :)

somnar likes this.
  9. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Take the rest of the deluxe set's bonus audio and there you have it.^^

10. Voted for a double in this poll, but my true preference is for a better single album-
    Big Barn Bed
    Little Lamb Dragonfly
    My Love
    Get On The Right Thing
    I Lie Around
    Country Dreamer
    Mama's Little Girl
    The Mess
    ... and whatever else to fill it out as needed (Night Out & When The Night... prefer singles like Live & Let Die etc)

That core of 8 songs- 4 from the original album & 4 from the additional album & whatever else... that's my preferred choice- a distilled, best of all possible single albums...

somnar likes this.
  11. BZync

BZync Senior Member

Tough question as they are such different experiences. Either configuration has its problems.

The double is a fun listen and adds MUCH needed rock to the project. But it also brings with it some third tier material. Great highs and deep lows.

With the exception of Loup, every track on the single is, at least, good. So it's a more consistent listen.

To answer the question, I think I prefer the single but would love to reconfigure it a bit. Hell, even if you just swapped Loup for Night Out the album would be much improved.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  12. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

Single. Dislike most revisionism.

13. Bemagnus

Anyway so far q huge majority prefer the double

andrewskyDE likes this.
  14. django68

django68 Forum Resident

A couple of quick questions - I apologise if this has been answered elswhere but I couldn't find the answers...

Are the mixes of the double album in the super deluxe set the same as the standard mixes.?
    I think all of the double album songs are on the 2-disc set, so it could be compiled from that, right? [I can't afford the big box.]

15. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

^^^
    Are the mixes of the double album in the super deluxe set the same as the standard mixes.? YES.
    I think all of the double album songs are on the 2-disc set, so it could be compiled from that, right? [I can't afford the big box.][/QUOTE] YES.

django68 likes this.
  16. django68

django68 Forum Resident

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

17. rjp

rjp Senior Member

well, :hide:

i think it could be a single: 'my love' with a b-side from somewhere other than the 'red rose speedway' album.

Mechanical Man likes this.
  18. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I burned myself a CD with the double album lineup. It plays much better than I thought it would but it still seems like too long of a journey with too little reward. Lots of quaint tracks but it just doesn't scream "epic length double album" to me. And having the big medley in the middle seems wrong.

Another pet peeve of mine is live tracks mixed with studio. I find myself getting antsy by "Best Friend". I wonder if I put the studio version of "The Mess" in the slot instead of the live version if it would help, but I don't have the studio version at my disposal to try it (only bought 2 disc set, el cheapo).

Ludger likes this.
  19. soniclovenoize

soniclovenoize Forum Resident

The studio versions of The Mess and 1882 are not quite "there". They weren't "the" takes, if that makes sense. They are more run-throughs. Listening to them, you can understand why they chose the summer live versions of the studio cuts for album contenders, as they are more energetic and cohesive. The sound quality is great, but the performances just weren't at 100%.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  20. supersquonk

supersquonk Forum Resident

Agree with you on The Mess, though my peeve with that one is it's too similar to Shape I'm In by the Band.

For 1882, I think the studio vocal is outstanding and makes it preferable.

Best Friend has always kind of bored me. I skip it if I'm running through those versions of Cold Cuts.

One of the versions of the double album that he was considering omits the medley. I think if he'd thrown Hi Hi Hi and Live and Let Die on Red Rose, no medley (just Hands of Love on its own,) it would have been a keeper. Three hits, some Denny songs, mix of rockers and folky tunes...

But.....that success might have meant he didn't try as hard for Band on the Run.

Ludger likes this.
  21. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

I'll preface by saying when I first listened to RRS about 15 years ago, I thought it was pretty weak and lazy for the most part. Years later and with more listens, I've come to truly enjoy it a great deal, and it has a few of my favorite McCartney tracks.

With that overall growing appreciation for the album in mind, I now far prefer the double album, even if I haven't had time to hear it all in one sitting. I think there's a lot of stronger stuff on it now. Mama's Little Girl has long been a fave. Same with Tragedy, I've had those takes for years. Love them more than much else on RRS. The rockier tracks, like the live stuff and Night Out, give the album more of a dynamic edge than before. Also, I've always thought the medley was a bit naff, but it works better for me on the double album. Perhaps because it's not at the end, trying to give it this epic Abbey Road feel that falls short. Ending the record with my favorite track "Little Lamb Dragonfly" instead is great.

On the original, the standouts for me were Little Lamb Dragonfly, Big Barn Bed, My Love, and Get On The Right Thing. The rest I've been iffy on, so I find that many of the double album's additions are stronger to me than those iffy tracks.

Listening to the double album, I've wondered if it was abandoned not only for solid artistic reasons, or financial, because hearing it now I wonder if it would have been compared (unfavorably) with semi-related multi-record sets like All Things Must Pass or even The White Album.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  22. soniclovenoize

soniclovenoize Forum Resident

Yes, Paul's vocal is great. But let's just say the rest of the band had trouble keeping up with it...

Dr. Pepper and FJFP like this.
  23. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

I find myself loving this album as is!! Of course I mean the DCC with the bonus tracks!! Sorry!

24. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Single LP by far. The songs they cut were weak. I Would Only Smile, Tragedy, Momma's Little Girl?? C'mon!

Night Out is good but it needed a full set of lyrics.

25. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

The double album is amazing, and it sounds even better when you swap sides D and C.
    Highly recommended.

Dr. Pepper and andrewskyDE like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.