Do you regard "Real Love" and "Free as a Bird" as real Beatles songs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychsound, Mar 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Yes and No.
    Officially yes but personally no.
    John had no idea that when he was writing and recording demos of FAAB and RL that he was writing and singing the next Beatles songs.

RickH, ParloFax and Zeki like this.
  2. Mumbojunk

Mumbojunk Forum Resident

Absolutely, yes. And very fine Beatles songs they are, too. Just a pity we didn't get a third one. I would have loved a new McCartney-Harrison song, but it wasn't to be.

jammincrowe and Lewisboogie like this.
  3. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

I was going to say, no more or less than An American Prayer was a real Doors album.

4. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

I like them a lot as they are, but would have far preferred they'd been fully developed Lennon tracks (even with one or two Beatles in attendance) on his 1980 LP - instead of the Yoko tracks.

5. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

I'm inclined to believe that George Martin's polite excuse to not produce these was only half a story, and that what he actually said was "Either my ears aren't what they used to be, or these songs are f#%$ing awful."

6. BeatleJay

BeatleJay Active Member

I like the songs but it feels almost like a form of necrophilia to me. I don't think John would've ever gotten back with The Beatles had he lived past 1980. I think for him, going by interviews, that part of his life was behind him forever. To paraphrase what he said near the end, you couldn't ask them to walk on water again. While I have no doubt he would've contributed to other members' solo projects as he had done, I do not believe if John was alive that you'd have ever seen a new song under The Beatles moniker. I can see him reuniting with Paul the way Robert Plant reunited with Jimmy Page, but John was smart enough to know that a full Beatles reunion would serve to diminish the legacy, because no matter how good the material they'd put together might be, it'd never match an entire generation's memories and nostalgia. They did their job between 1960 and 1970.

As such, I view them as a tribute to John. Not really Beatles songs because the other three weren't even The Beatles at that point. It was just Paul, George and Ringo working together for this specific project. There was no reunion in the sense of "Paul, George and Ringo are carrying on, here's some tracks featuring John's voice to tide you over." It was just, to me, a tribute piece to John, and emotional closure for the other three and for the fans. Not a real set of songs in any real band context.

7. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

She's really not that bad. ;)

Lewisboogie likes this.
  8. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

Beatles songs all the way, May as well ask if Brainwashed is a real George Harrison album.

9. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

How many times has this very question been asked on here?
    Surely people are bored to death by now of discussing these two songs...

10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

They did the best they could with them under the circumstances.

11. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

"Yesterday" and "The Ballad Of John And Yoko" and other tracks didn't have all Beatles musically performing together. However, part of what made the Beatles what they were was the personal interaction between them, which they fed off and influenced their music, whether it be a collaborative musical relationship or as a passive-agressive act/act of defiance, or act of independence. Which is what I meant in my definition, quoted above for reference (apologies if I didn't express it clearly in my original post).

In comparison, Lennon's "Real Love" and "Free as a Bird" contribution were demos for his solo work decades after he had anything significant to do with the others. It's not like it was an unreleased song demoed by him during the Let It Be sessions, where there was interaction with the others. He wrote and played it not having any explicit intention of involving the other Beatles. So essentially they are session men padding out a Lennon solo song. Which to me isn't Beatles.

12. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

[​IMG]

Frankenstein Beatles.

angelees, Tristero, imawalrus and 2 others like this.
  13. hayden10538

hayden10538 Well-Known Member

IMO John recorded the demos intending the songs for eventual solo release. That the three others overdubbed them with new music and vocals leads me to believe that, technically, they should have been credited to John Lennon featuring The Beatles.

It's not the same as, say Queen's Made In Heaven album which was assembled after he had died, from his vocal recordings, as Freddie fully intended them to be used by the other three and released under the Queen banner, whereas John didn't.

That John didn't expect the other three on his recording, means that just because they are on there, doesn't make it a Beatles record, despite what Paul, the others, the record label etc. think. They were guests on his recording and really should have been credited as such.

:shh:

JL6161, Zeki, andybeau and 1 other person like this.
  14. hayden10538

hayden10538 Well-Known Member

Hey, i knew his sister Phyllis.

:nyah:

Purple Jim, imawalrus and vince like this.
  15. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Officially they seem to be. Otherwise they have a solemn and dirge-like quality that I don't really recognize from the Fab Four... Only the Spectorized The Long And Winding Road comes to my mind.

16. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident

No, It wasnt written while they were officially together. I am sure it was just used to promote the anthology series

Kwai Chang likes this.
  17. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

You gotta hand it to them...
    They put those out while the 'industry' was still selling millions of actual 'product'!

18. utopiarun

utopiarun "on the road to Utopia"

I vote no and will vote no each time someone else posts this question again.

Gumboo and Zeki like this.
  19. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

It's very possible, in Martin's case at that point, it may've been a combination of both. I think it was hearing issues that led him to retire as an active producer around then. But even someone whose hearing was going, I'll admit, would know rubbish when they're able to hear as best they could.

20. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I like them but for me they're not. If George Martin had produced them it would have gave them more weight. If they had done an entire album where everyone got their turn I might have felt differently. If it was just the three of them doing new originals along with some Lennon penned tunes I would have accepted that too. As is, it's too much of a freaky gimmick for me.

Zeki likes this.
  21. cosmicdancer

cosmicdancer Doin' it to you in 3D! So Groovy that I dig me.

They are Beatles songs. The three remaining members at the time regarded them as such, at least to the point that they got together to do the project and release them on official Beatles merchandise. I would have loved for George Martin to have been involved for nostalgia's sake, but they chose to go with Jeff Lynne. I don't think that makes them any less Beatles songs. Of course, John isn't there in the present and I see why that bothers people, but I have no issue with him being flown in via the demo's Yoko provided.

22. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

No:cheers:

Gumboo likes this.
  23. Exactly how I felt and still feel.

qwerty likes this.
  24. Mogens

Mogens Forum Resident

They don't sound like Beatles songs to me. They sound like a band trying to sound Beatlesque. I realize they are technically Beatles songs but my brain rejects them.

25. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I appreciate people like them....maybe if I was 15 when they came out id become attached but they do nothing for me and I don't consider them beatles songs, more of a curiosity

CaptainFeedback1 and Gumboo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.