Do you regard "Real Love" and "Free as a Bird" as real Beatles songs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychsound, Mar 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

Well, for just one position, Free As A Bird doesn't appear on the 1 album, if this happen, do you think that know this track would be a Beatles track? :whistle:

2. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

Bizarrely, yes

3. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

What is all this 'we'? I certainly don't hold The Beatles to any higher standard than any other band and this reunion was a very different affair to most 'reunions'. This work while obviously much later is The Beatles.

4. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Which will be in another couple of weeks probably...:D

5. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

"Yesterday" has just one member.

Seltarb and ccbarr like this.
  6. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

No more than I Am The Greatest

John Porcellino, vince and ParloFax like this.
  7. This is the Hoffman forum. We do everything "umpteen" times.

The Beave and rxcory like this.
  8. AlecA

AlecA Forum Resident

Interesting curiosities, nice marketing gimmick, but certainly not Beatles.

9. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

And producer George Martin. The other thing at the time was Paul was still just a Beatle and not a solo artist. Ironically, they could have released it as a Paul single but everyone would have said it sounded like a Beatles track.

no.nine and JLGB like this.
  10. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

A fair few Beatles songs were 'written' before Ringo joined but they are still Beatles records. A lot of posthumous records have been released where the artist had no editorial control (Jimi Hendrix, Elvis Presley, Buddy Holly and even as mentioned previously George Harrison) so I think it is probably the lesser of two evils. Yes, John would have done them differently but I think what Paul said at the time is pretty close to what John would have agreed with: "Let's just pretend John has slipped out for a while and asked us to finish the song." There are quite a few instances of that happening within the Beatles catalogue. They let George Martin add music and edit/mix tracks and were not always all present on all recordings. We could also say is the original Let It Be album a Beatles record since some of Paul's songs were added to by Phil Spector without Paul's OK. I know he has moaned about this and even had a go at amending history, but even he would not delete the original as it is what everyone grew up with. We all looked forward to the Anthology and new singles and it is now part of the band's history. We may have differing opinions about the tracks but they stand within the the band's discography and always will going forward. No-one tried to hide the method by which they were produced.

I think they are fine and were perhaps the best way to pay tribute to a missing member of the band when compiling the Anthology.

foxylady likes this.
  11. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I accept that they were released under the Beatles name but do not view them as genuine Beatles tracks. They were Lennon demos--not particularly good sounding demos either, though I like the underlying songs well enough--posthumously embellished by the others. As others have noted, he did not write them with the band in mind and had no input over their final arrangements as he normally would have. The makeshift method of their construction doesn't sound natural to me. I don't blame them for having a go at it, but I don't view them as part of "the official canon".

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    TonyR, no.nine and ParloFax like this.
  12. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

No.

Gumboo likes this.
  13. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Yes, these two songs are by the Beatles.

14. ExHead

ExHead Forum Resident

NO! I regard them as Traveling Wilburys songs. Jeff Lynn's production is horrible. That ****ing snare sound!! Just awful. Why was he chosen to produce? He wrecked so many records around that time--Tom Petty, Roy Orbison

Gumboo, vegafleet, no.nine and 3 others like this.
  15. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

Yes I consider it the Beatles.

16. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

Agreed, A dreadful snare sound

17. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

I seem to recall George H insisted on it.

18. ExHead

ExHead Forum Resident

How did he get that sound? It's like a terrible drum machine

19. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

I guess so but I always forget about them...after all these years I'm still amazed how terrible they are and how they couldn't of done any better. Surely there were better unfinished songs of John's to work on?

20. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

I dunno, I'm sure someone here will have an answer

21. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

I don't know but it goes all the way back to his ELO days.

22. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

I wish FAAB had been a hidden track at the end of Anthology 3. That's where it belongs. And I wish it hadn't been hyped to the nines, and I wish they'd just said "Well, we did this, and it's no big deal, but it turned out quite nice, and we thought you'd like to hear it." Because its reception, and its place in the Beatles' canon, would be quite different.

....but wishing all that for The First New Beatles Song In 25 Years!!! isn't realistic, really......

Don't know where that would leave Real Love. Not a better track, but IMHO a better single......

23. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Is "Unforgettable" by Natalie Cole a real Nat King Cole song?

John Porcellino and Mickey2 like this.
  24. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

I agree, but as I said up thread - I'm glad they did them, they represent closure

25. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

I think I know I mean a 'Yes' but it's all wrong, that is I think I disagree.

That is, no, no more than I consider Natalie Cole's "Unforgettable" a duet with her dad.

However, they were a nice treat anyway, and as close as we could have gotten to a true reunion. And to be honest, I don't know if I would have considered them "real Beatles songs" even if Lennon were alive and recorded it with them in '94-95, 25 years after the breakup. It's the old saying, "you can't go home again." The Beatles were as much about the time and place as it was about those 4 individuals. As much as we would have liked it to go on forever, I think it ended when it should have (more or less). In the end, they were struggling to keep it together artificially. I'm glad we don't have a whole number of decades' worth of Beatles recordings that overstayed their welcome to the point of irrelevance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.