Do You Remember The First 45 You Bought?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildest cat from montana, Jan 25, 2022.

1. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

I bought a number of KISS and Beatles LPs as a kid in the 70s but didn’t buy a 45 til I was 13: Go-Go’s We Got the Beat... think I’d got McCartney’s Coming Up the year before but it was included with the McCartney 2 LP packaging I bought, not a separate purchase

2. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Another Brick In The Wall part II circa 1997.

3. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Bought with my own pocket money rather than bought for me: Blue Mink ‘Banner Man’.

4. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

As a 2 year old toddler I apparently convinced my grandmother to buy me She Loves You by the Beatles - green sleeve 1976 issue, and Brotherhood of Man Save All Your Kisses for Me.

It was clearly an important crossroads in my life. Thank heavens I took the right road…

5. January 1973,
    Blockbuster by The Sweet.
    I was 9 years old.
    It cost 45p.
    I still have it!!!

6. Scotsman

Scotsman Forum Resident

On the Regal Zonophone label....the A side was mono and the B side stereo.
    The first single I bought was Sugar and Spice by the Searchers back on 1963.

7. KaBluie

KaBluie Forum Resident

I do not remember the first 45, LP, DVD or Blu-ray I bought.

Even though I do not remember the first 45, I’m pretty sure I would still have it.

I do remember my first cassette, it was Totally Hot - Olivia Newton-John. I still have the tape but the cassette wore out so I took the tape out and put it in a blank cassette and it still played the last time I played it. I haven’t played it for a while because I have the CD now.

The first (and only) 8-track I ever bought was The Rutles. I found it at a flea market. It also wore out but is long gone now. But I have the 1990 Rhino CD which is the first CD I ever bought!

The first VHS I ever bought was Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid (1969) I laid it back along with Risky Business (1983) paid on it every week. When I got it out Risky Business turned out to be that other video format Betamax but they exchanged it no problem. They did not have Risky Business on VHS so I got something else, I don’t remember what. I now have both these on Blu-ray.

The first VHS I ever rented was Amadeus.

I always buy a dozen or so items in a format before buying the player so when I get the player I have something to play on it. I had The Rutles, The Bonzo Dog Band - Cornology, The Best Of Tommy Quickly, Johnny Sandon, Gregory Phillips & The Remo Four, The Legendary P.J. Proby At His Very Best ... Plus, Liverpool 1963-1968, The Sixties Explosion - Volume One 1961 - 1967 and a bunch of other See For Miles CDs that I ordered from Midnight Records in New York before I bought a CD player.

I bought a bunch of Blu-rays before I bought a Blu-ray player too.

8. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

Little Willy - The Sweet
    1972ish - 6th grade
    It is sitting across the room from me right now.

9. mr. k

mr. k Master of the Rummage (retired)

Del Shannon's "Hats Off To Larry", in 1961:

10. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

You sold "She Loves You"?

ARK and Rigsby like this.
  11. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

I always wondered whether "Little Willy" was a name or an attribute....

ARK and Wildest cat from montana like this.
  12. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

No.........that's too difficult.
    I would think "was it Elvis? The Beatles? Simon and Garfunkel?". Add to the fact that when young my mom and I had these records that were 'family' - my dad had bought some, she did too I believe,
    etc, that I would listen to - it's just confusing.

Those sure were better days though. Young, a real HOME, not alone, cared for, and I had my case thing of singles, and my cheap crappy turntable stereo (which folded out) - those were better days.
    A MILLION times better.
    I'd give anything to go back in time. :cry: I don't like this world now. :(

13. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

“Joy To The World” by Three Dog Night was a hit amongst us 1st graders in 1971.

14. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I remember that place very well! As a small child in the ‘60s, I couldn’t understand why the mall had the same name as the TV show. The mall had a great neon sign at the entrance, with a boomerang shaped arrow, very mid century modern.

The only record I can recall buying at Sam Goody’s at Green Acres is the LP by Dolenz, Jones, Boyce & Hart in 1976. Most of my records in the early’70s were bought at TSS, a now defunct department store chain in the NYC area.

15. GoldmanT

GoldmanT Forum Resident

It was either I Wanna Be A Winner by Brown Sauce, or Flock Around The Clock by The Singing Sheep - anyone who says theirs was something cool is lying.

16. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

Exactly and now I sing in a Brotherhood of Man tribute band, wearing double denim, a shirt with collars you could land a plane on and sporting a fabulous moustache.

17. John V

John V Forum Resident

In September 1963 I persuaded my grandfather to buy "She Loves You" for my 14th birthday. I must have played it a thousand times. A good start to a lifetime's obsession with records and The Beatles.

18. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I bought “I want to hold your hand” and “Twist and Shout” the week after the Ed Sullivan show.

19. Hi Desert Chris

Hi Desert Chris Well-Known Member

The first 45 I bought with my own money was the Kinks (Tired of waiting for You / Come on Now)....1965, I was 14

Last edited: Oct 18, 2022
  20. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Not counting the box of juke box 45s (Beatles, Beach Boys etc.) I was given by an Uncle in the late 70s. I'm pretty sure it was Joan Jett. I know I still have this.

Joan Jett - I Love Rock n Roll

[​IMG]

If it wasn't Joan Jett, it may have been Yvonne Elliman - If I Can't Have You...I think they used to play it a lot at the local roller rink. I don't have this anymore.

[​IMG]

21. steviebee

steviebee Always playing Ese and The Vooduu People

Not my own money (didn't have any at that age) but my Mum bought me The Kinks' "Dedicated Follower Of Fashion" because I was always going on about it.

Bless her.

22. dunkoid

dunkoid Forum Resident

23. ripdan

ripdan Forum Resident

She Loves You, still have it.

24. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

Pretty Woman - Van Halen

25. darbelob

darbelob Senior Member

1964 Manfred Mann - Do Wah Diddy Diddy