Do You Remember The First 45 You Bought?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildest cat from montana, Jan 25, 2022.

1. glittering-girl

glittering-girl Beatles/Who/Todd R.: My Mount Rushmore of Rock

Other than children's records, "Sugar Town" by Nancy Sinatra.

2. Pete @ Petersham

Pete @ Petersham Being Boring

It was either Devil Gate Drive or Fox on the Run.

3. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

Let the record show that Nancy is 82.

4. Here it is....!!!
    [​IMG]

Man at C&A, donohed, Jim B. and 6 others like this.
  5. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Very long ago, I was nine years old at the time I bought The Osmonds Yo Yo(I thought then - and still do - that they borrowed from Day Tripper for that one!)
    [​IMG]

Around that time I also bought :

Rockin' Robin - Michael Jackson
    Hot Rod Lincoln - Commander Cody
    I'll be There - The Jackson 5
    Have you Seen Her - Chi-lites
    Outta Space - Billy Preston
    Isn't Life Strange - Moody Blues
    Season of the Witch - Vanilla Fudge
    Toast and Marmalade for Tea - Tin Tin
    Joy to the World - Three Dog Night

Well , I grew up right down the lane from a record shop - a five minute-bicycle ride !
    :)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2022
  6. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

I wanted that one too but somebody told me “don’t even set a price”

Milk and kisses likes this.
  7. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

I’ve given this some thought and I think I’ve only. Ought one 45 with my own money in my entire life; U2’s “Desire”

8. ctoelle

ctoelle Well-Known Member

Indeed I do remember.

It was Paul McCartney, Coming Up. Radio played the studio version when it 1st came out, but soon they would only play the live version. I really liked the studio version, so I bought it. Still have it, with the picture sleeve

9. Peter Mork

Peter Mork Forum Resident

Yeah, well to me the old square designs were timeless, in that they connected the present to the past. Think of Jefferson Airplane, in full Revolution mode, shouting "Up against the wall!" on a record with that dog going around and around, the same label that Perry Como and Al (He's the King) Hirt rode to fame and fortune - yes, even Elvis - now Nipper is exhorting the kids to tear down the walls! Must have terrified the heads at RCA, but what could they do? Too much money to be made, and Hank Snow just wasn't raking it in anymore.

Of course, what they did do was drop the old logo and replace it with a "modern" RCA logo (which looked suspiciously influenced by San Fracisco psychedelic lettering as filtered through a three-martini graphic department), which was okay in its way, but wouldn't you know it, wasn't timeless enough and within a decade they brought the old mutt back to everyone's relief.

I repeat, the Apple label was interesting but had a "get back to the land" hippie vibe that was doomed to expire eventually. I don't miss it, but at least it was a standard, recognizable trademark. Now everybody has to do these gimmick labels, customized for every release. That was radical 60 years ago, when ESP was putting out Albert Ayler and the Fugs - now it just seems a shade indulgent.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2022
  10. Nogoodnik

Nogoodnik Celebrity Jeopardy and Mini Crossword smart

While I do have a memory of possessing The Sweet’s “Little Willy” on the Bell label, I have a hard time believing I would have been able to buy that at age 6. It likely came from the older brother of one of my neighborhood friends. The first one I would have bought was most likely “Rock And Roll All Nite” by KISS, with the Alive version on the A side and the Dressed To Kill version on the B side. Either that or Alice Cooper’s “I Never Cry”/“Go To Hell”. Wait, maybe is was KISS’ “Detroit Rock City”/“Beth”. It was one of those for sure.

11. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Olivia Newton-John's Physical. I saw her in Grease and had such a crush.

12. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

“Hot Rod Lincoln” by Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen

13. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

"The Entertainer" from the movie The Sting (which I have never seen). I was five years old.

[​IMG]

14. cnath

cnath Senior Member

The first "adult" 45 I bought (and still have after all these years) was " Windy" by the Association - They were also the first real concert ( in an auditorium ) that I got to attend ...

15. Newton John

Newton John Forum Resident

Waterloo Sunset by The Kinks

Buddybud likes this.
  16. paul_gooner

paul_gooner Well-Known Member

Squeeze - Cool For Cats, pink vinyl

17. loosehandlebars

loosehandlebars Forum Resident

On Christmas Day 1963 Santa came through with a Dansette record player and a trio of Parlophone releases - I Want To Hold Your Hand, Twist and Shout E.P. and the Billy J Kramer Hits E.P. I must have been good that year.

[​IMG]

Man at C&A and Chazzbo13 like this.
  18. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

I was 4 years old in 1978. These were my first two (which my parents went out and bought these for my birthday):

My first single: "Magnet And Steel" by Walter Egan
    My first album: "City To City" by Gerry Rafferty

The first single I bought with my allowance money was later in the same year (1978). I bought the 45 of Nick Gilder's "Hot Child In The City".

Chazzbo13 likes this.
  19. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

It was a Marc Bolan single, but one of the later rubbish ones, although it did have the special label. I may still have it somewhere.

20. tonymasiello

tonymasiello Forum Resident

Cliff Richard - Devil Woman

I was ten or eleven. My Mom was English, and when I told her I liked this song, having no idea who Cliff Richard was, she soon drove me down to the local Sam Goody and bought me the seven inch.

21. Tony Wilkinson

Tony Wilkinson Forum Resident

Telstar- Tornadoes, bought from the Shack, Cannock Road, Wolverhampton.

22. BPMC

BPMC Forum Resident

I'm not 100% sure, but the earliest memory I have of buying any record (actually, I picked it out and my mom bought it for me) was the 45 of "The Letter" by the Box Tops back in 1969 when I was six years old.

Purchased at Kmart in Orange, CA

23. Chazz Avery

Chazz Avery Music Addict

When I was very young, I listened to my mother's or family's records. The first record that was actually mine was given to me as a gift at Christmas 1962 when I was five years old. It was the 45 of "Little Drummer Boy" by The Harry Simeone Chorale. It wasn't so much that I wanted it, it was simply that my parents knew I liked the song. I still have the record but not the sleeve.

[​IMG]

However, the first record that I wanted was a Beatles record. I got it in late January or early February 1964. I first learned of The Beatles in January but I don't recall if I got the record before or after their first Sullivan appearance on February 9. The record was the "She Loves You" 45 on Swan Records. I still have the record and sleeve.

[​IMG]

The next 45 I got was on Easter March 29, 1964. The Beatles "I Want To Hold Your Hand" on Capitol. This is a photo of me that day with the record. I still have the record and sleeve.

[​IMG]

The first album I ever had, I got on April 14, 1964. My 7th birthday. "The Beatles Second Album". I still have it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2022
  24. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

Le Freak - Chic
    The single had just came out.
    I was barely nine years old.

25. Dunedin

Dunedin Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Millie 'My Boy Lollipop'