DCC Archive Do you save your cardboard slipcovers?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by eBay Feed, Oct 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eBay Feed

eBay Feed Automated Thread Starter

Hi,

I was just wondering if you guys save your cardboard slip covers that most of the DCC gold CDs come in??

Some of mine are so tight it is very hard to get the discs out to play them. I don't expect to be trying to get rid of any of my DCC CDs, but I wonder how trashing these little monsters would affect the value? :confused:

Take care,

Tony

2. Matt

Matt New Member

I rarely throw anything out, and that includes those slipcovers. I actually just store them in a drawer somewhere. The rest I place with the rest of my CD's.

3. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

I have about 30 discs, with slips for most all of them. At this point I have them stacked in a closet, and they will probably get flattened out later.

You can see that a lot of effort went into their production, but if you've ever seen the case inserts of say, L.A. Woman or Court & Spark or Wheels Of Fire, you can tell that that is what's most important. I'm not too worried about value, to tell you the truth. They're already paid for!

4. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I save mine when they have em. Of course, I bought a lot of them used, and in many cases the previous owner had already trashed the slipcover.

I *always* replace the liftlock jewel box, though. I hate those.

5. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

I save 'em, but I store them away from the discs. Right now I'm actually wishing I didn't save 'em ... I'm in the middle of a move and it's little things like that that drive me NUTS when I'm packing ...

I guess I save 'em with the vague notion that they'll up the resale value if I ever want/need to sell the discs. Not that I can imagine any circumstance in which I would, but ...

6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Good call...I've replaced most of mine, but I still have a few cases that I haven't replaced yet. One of these days...

7. Unknown

Unknown Guest

I save 'em all. And I love the lift-lock cases.

8. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Never!!! Waste of paper...

9. Matt

Matt New Member

Maybe DCC should do away with them, save some paper and money. Or, if they still want to make their product a bit easier to find, go with the small slips that some companies use to cover the top ridge of their jewel cases. Honestly, does anyone feel an attachment to them?

10. Mike

Mike New Member

Save everything! I even save the shrinkwrap. Just kidding. But I do cut the promo sticker from the shrinkwrap and put them in a box. I saw a guy about a year ago selling empty longboxes on ebay and getting 20 bucks a pop for some of them. Lol.

Mike

11. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Huh. I just threw out a bunch of longboxes I had been saving for years. I think "Gretchen Goes to Nebraska" was the only one I kept, and only for the cool cover art. I need an LP of that one.

12. Unknown

Unknown Guest

I think Jeff secretly did a Vulcan mind meld with me while I wasn't watching and channeled my spirit into those words.

Collecting stuff is fun, until you realize that you've moved 12 times in the last 10 years and you've had to keep up with and carefully maintain:

OBIs
    gold CDs and all the accouterments (I still have my longbox for the MFSL Wall)
    inner/outer sleeves
    collectible flats and promo posters
    all the little junk you need for a turntable (stylus force gauge, 2 or 3 cartridge alignment tools, LAST stylus cleaner and brush, protective cover for stylus, stylus replacement tool, etc etc etc)
    all the stuff you need to clean records

I've gone on a spree of selling and giving away stuff and I know still that (if I ever actually get a job) my next move will suck.

13. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

There's a lot of product that I've put in jewel boxes over the years just for practicality. I just have a few large ziplock bags for the cardboard art, sometimes I open the boxes completely, so they fold down flat, just as they were made. Good preservation act (hehe) and I don't feel like a weeny later for throwing the original presenation out.

DCC product included. Heck, I re-shrink wrap my Japanese LP slipcase covers, delicate stuff like that. It's not very hard to do, even with ziplock sandwich bags. Keeps em fresh! Just press all the air out and seal em up. Keep them out of harms way ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.