Do you still buy music or do you only stream?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bherbert, Sep 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

In large font

2. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist Location: Irrelevance.

I don't stream at all. I want hard copies.

3. Converse

Converse Well-Known Member

Yeah,
    Someone should start a Worldwide National LARGE FONT DAY.
    WEVE GOT DAYS FOR EVERYTHING ELSE.:edthumbs::targettiphat:

4. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

If I stream something and like it then I have to own it. I think I have a mental illness when it comes to buying music.

slipkid likes this.
  5. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

Both. Spotify Premium is a good way to audition albums to see if I want to add them to the collection. It's also nice to use my phone for music on the go.

I buy CDs because I enjoy organizing them; I still have a CD player in my car; and I want to keep the used-CD guy down the street in business.

I buy records, too, but not nearly as many as I used to due to cost and storage considerations. That said, I sink a good chunk of change into Record Store Day every year.

6. Converse

How many CDs and LPs do you own ?

7. sunking101

I need to recount because there are 300-450 more now...but almost 1600 at the last count.

8. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

Sounds like me, though I only have a free Spotify account. Those ads are annoying sometimes, especially since they often come in much louder than the music I listen to. But 'free' is good enough for me just to check if certain releases are worth acquiring or not.
    LP prices have gone up over the last few years, esp. second hand titles from artists that are worth collecting. So yes, my vinyl acquisitions are slowing down. I buy more CDs nowadays, esp. second hand stuff. Partly because it's easy to find them cheap and partly because I think this era may be the last hurrah for lovers of tangible music carriers.

9. Converse

Record Store Day started out as a good thing many years ago.
    Now it's just a pitiful scam to make money.
    Same as Pledge music.
    It started off as a brilliant way for none signed artists and bands to get there music out there on vinyl and CD.
    The line got crossed a few years ago because of MONEY Yet again and has spoilt it for the people it was originally set up for.

10. Converse

Man 1600 isn't a illness and nothing to worry about.
    Many on here have many thousands more.
    My over 7,000 CDs and 4,000 LPs are small collections in comparison to some on here.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  11. sunking101

I bave 1900 ish in total but regularly purge and I put 700 on ebay once to get my collection down to stuff I was genuinely 100% into. Yes you have a ridiculously large collection and need some medication.:D

12. Converse

A good friend of mine 6 miles down the road from me has over 20,000 LPs in his record collection.
    I would probably be well past that if children and CDs weren't invented in the early 80s.:D

13. sunking101

There must be a whole load of tat in amongst that lot. I couldn't even think of much more than 2000 albums I really wanted...

14. Converse

Die before you hit 60 is the answer.

sunking101 likes this.
  15. Beefalo

Beefalo Living the high life. Bungalow ranch style....

I focus on sacd and multichannel. The only regular CDs I will buy are the old first pressings. I kept all my vinyl from years ago so I don't need to add to that....

16. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

Both. I'll buy the LP if it's something that I love, but usually I'll stream. I was buying more before records became popular again, but now it's just too expensive to buy them regularly. I don't buy CDs anymore because I figure if I'm going to have a physical copy of something it may as well be the LP.

17. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I have a godawful amount of records/cds (uncountable, a long story) so really don't need to buy for older music....yet I still popped for a couple recent box sets....ive got Spotify/amazon streaming but tbh don't use it much

18. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Remember, if you have trouble starting a stream you should consult your physician.

Terrapin Station and melstapler like this.
  19. Converse

Anyone got the first XTC English Settlement CD with tracks missing?
    Because the whole album couldn't be fitted on a CD ?

20. TheSaltman

TheSaltman Heaven or Las Vegas?

I stream via Spotify Premium (I know... lossy even in hi quality and stuff... but it's the best I can manage currently) but also regularly buy CDs and Records, the latter more sporadically since my turntable setup is currently K.O.

coffeetime likes this.
  21. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

I buy and stream. I hear more music on my commute or at work than at home these days which is on spotify in car or youtube at work.

coffeetime likes this.
  22. WowBobWow

WowBobWow Forum Resident

CDs are harder and harder to find these days.

23. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Me Too.

melstapler, dalem5467 and Grand_Ennui like this.
  24. jacden

jacden Senior Member

I stream losslessly via my Tidal Hi-Fi subscription. I also buy lots of vinyl, both used and new, as well as the occasional hi-res download from HD Tracks. I hardly ever buy CDs anymore though. They just don't have much appeal to me these days, except for super deluxe box sets from my favorite artists.

coffeetime likes this.
  25. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

Stream music at work - Spotify

Stream music in the car - Sirius

Excluding youtube, only listen to physical media at home - 95% LP and 5% CD

maui jim likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.