Do you still buy music or do you only stream?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bherbert, Sep 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

I only buy music.
    Besides, how would I stream the Beatles in Mono and the Elvis FTD catalogue...

2. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Apt home balance!

melstapler likes this.
  3. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

I replied earlier in the thread but I am thinking of going 100% streaming rather than 50/50 with streaming and purchasing CDs still. Honestly, its cheaper to pay the $149 for a full 12 months of Spotify than the more I end up spending on CDs each year especially given all the artists I listen to are on Spotify anyway.

4. McCool71

McCool71 Forum Resident

I did exactly that more than 10+ years ago. Have never looked back. Haven't even seen the vast majority of my physical collection in years.

Gaslight and bherbert like this.
  5. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Stream and buy. Latest example Eric Dolphry lunch..- been listening to it on Spotify for about a year - finally bought the LP. Even at 300kbits etc per second - the LP surprisingly sounds richer. It was an added bonus.

6. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram

I use Pandora (mainly for Christmas playlist streaming) and Deezer for streaming songs and albums. Deezer is wonderful and allows me to discover tons of new artists and music.

I also purchase vinyl and CDs. I listen to the CDs on my NAD and/or B&O CD player and also copy them onto my NAS drive for streaming around the house on our Sonos system. Main system is listed in my gear description.

7. hifisoup

Me thinks the point of purchasing individual albums is to support the artist(s). Plus IMHO, CDs or vinyl still sound better than streaming.

crp207 and Grand_Ennui like this.
  8. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Mostly just buy Hendrix these days, will stream what's there on Prime if the mood strikes me.

9. HardTimesRoughLines

HardTimesRoughLines She learned me life is sweet and God is good

What would be the point of having all that empty space anyway? The wife getting a new piece of furniture or the kids leaving more toys? Well, I live here as well. So shall my records.

Best regards,

HTRL

10. Sighlence

Sighlence Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly. Listening to compressed crap gets old....REAL old. Plus, i’m old school. I still get excited about holding the music in my hand and looking at the artwork.

11. hifisoup

Yeah my wife has been streaming Christmas music on Pandora and it is driving me nuts...not the Christmas music but the compression. It is basically elevator music.

12. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

Homey don't stream.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  13. I stream a little. Just Pandora in the morning while I'm getting ready (after an hour of NPR while I'm still in bed). And about half the time I'll listen to Pandora on my rather short 20-minute commute (by subway).

Otherwise, 80% of my music listening is off physical media. I don't buy anywhere near as much as I used to 15-25 years ago -- but half of that is the constraints of living in a 1BR apartment (and already having a CD collection that's twice as big as it probably ought to be).

Maybe my streaming calculus might change if I ever got a setup that allowed me to listen to music off my phone or computer on anything better than my iPhone's internal speaker (or headphones), or the built-in speakers on my laptop.

If I like something enough to listen to it more than 2-3 times, I usually want to own it on physical media.

14. I usually stream, only when I am buying

15. A6mzero

A6mzero One foot in the grave, one foot on the pedal

I buy vinyl. Stream in the car or to listen to something I’m thinking about buying on vinyl. Watch musical performances on U tube on occasion.

16. AsWeGoAlong14

AsWeGoAlong14 Well-Known Member

I stream it on youtube first to see if I like it, then I buy it in CD form if I like it enough.

slipkid likes this.
  17. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

Hi. Are you subscribing to spotify via the ios app? If you subscribe through the spotify website it should be only costing you $120 a year.

18. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

Not in Australia.

19. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

Apologies didn't spot the location!

Just saw dollar and thought of America :hide:

20. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I buy records in a weekly basis, I buy CDs occasionally, and I stream in a daily basis, so I voted both buy and stream.

However, I consider streaming a way to buy music. Well, maybe rent. It's not for free and every month I pay for the right to listen to the music.

21. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

I do everything.

22. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I still buy music but not as much as I used to.

I don't stream at all. Streaming is convenient for some folks but to me, it basically comes down to the fact that people are too cheap to purchase music outright any longer, for various reasons. Now, those who stream get all defensive about this accusation, but when you take away the hyperbole and the angst at being challenged about their habits, it ends up coming down to money in the end.

When your phone is your primary source of music......and the music always cuts off whenever the phone rings, then you can see where people's priorities are these days. Robo-calls go through and the music turns off. That is upside-down in my world.

slipkid and punkmusick like this.
  23. INSW

INSW Senior Member

It not about money and I mostly listen through a tablet. For me it's about mobility and not having stuff. I hate stuff. I would live in a tiny house if I wasn't married with kids.

24. arcamsono

arcamsono Senior Member

Exactly

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  25. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Very frequently.

My long-term retirement goal is rip everything to digital files and sell / donate the originals. With some exceptions for the "I can't bear to part with" items.

The latter being harder than I realized, so far. Luckily I have a number of years to re-train my brain.

Spitfire and bherbert like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.