Do you still buy music or do you only stream?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bherbert, Sep 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. INSW

INSW Senior Member

I pay for a transit pass but I don't own the train. Seems to be working okay.

Spencer R and coffeetime like this.
  2. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

The "Learned to make backups the hard way" award?

Gaslight likes this.
  3. Terrapin Station

I could do a couple thousand just with Zappa and the Dead as long as it includes bootlegs, too.

4. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Wrong.

Whenever I'm on the train always make sure to caress the seat or fondle the handrail.

5. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

I stream using Roon with Tidal integration. I've been getting excellent results (see my profile for the relevant equipment), which has largely stopped my purchases of CDs, SACDs and digital downloads. My only digital purchases at this point are concert downloads (such as Pearl Jam or Springsteen concerts on nugs.net), because those are not available on Tidal.

I continue to purchase new and used vinyl, but that has slowed down because I have great versions of just about everything I want. Sometimes I will just browse the racks at a used record store for fun, and I will almost always come up with some interesting find.

6. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

A couple of thousand albums fron two artists??

7. INSW

INSW Senior Member

There are people who don't?

8. Terrapin Station

Even if you're just sticking to official releases/no bootlegs, we're already up to over 350 releases from those two, and that's not including any offshoot stuff, either.

9. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I can find next to nothing to buy in person at "stores" anymore, but with very few exceptions everything I want is available on CD from sites on the internet (Amazon, Bullmoose, ImportCDs, DeepDiscount, Ebay, etc).

10. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

I don't "only" do one thing. I'll stream at work, 4 or 5 times a year. I still buy music. In fact, I'm waiting for Amazon to get the new Bobby Fuller singles collection
    back in stock.

11. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

No stream will ever match the joy I felt walking into Sam the Record Man, with my stocking stuffer gift certificate on Boxing Day.

If I Can Dream_23 likes this.
  12. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

I can see the allure of streaming (for many), but for me I have to have that genuine connection and "purchasing joy" behind the music I love and buy. For me the hobby is no different than any other hobby that brings joy due to the fact that it's an actual item. In other words, for me, streaming music (especially exclusively) would be about as much fun as acquiring a baseball card, coin, or stamp collection through computer pics. :)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    slipkid likes this.
  13. Beefalo

Beefalo Living the high life. Bungalow ranch style....

eBay and Amazon are OK for a standard release.
    If you're looking for a specific pressing/matrix number I highly recommend Discogs.
    I have purchased hard to find items from all over the globe. Prices including shipping are often times lower than buying from my domestic US suppliers.
    I haven't been burned once on a purchase....

14. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Newer records are pretty expensive right now ($20+) and a lot of albums aren't even issued on cd, so I'm doing a lot more streaming.

Audiowannabee likes this.
  15. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Well, Amazon just gave me three months of their streaming service and I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would. It is nice to hear about an album (for example on this forum) and then be able to hear it instantly. About the only music I've bought lately are a few Springsteen downloads.

coffeetime and DML71 like this.
  16. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Increasingly, I buy only deluxe sets such as the White Album 50 and More Blood, More Tracks, and stream everything else on Spotify.

coffeetime likes this.
  17. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Elvis FTD’s are another example of CDs I still buy - in large part because they are kept off of streaming services.

18. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

I only listen and buy physical music....the only exception is listening to the radio in the car

19. pblmow

pblmow Forum Resident

I only buy music

20. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

I only buy, but im suprised with only 4% for only stream.

21. kevin

kevin Senior Member

I buy music and stream SiriusXM satellite radio.

22. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

I have an Apple Music subscription because I can upload non-Apple Music tracks (and more importantly masters) to my account. I also buy new CDs, vinyl and the odd cassette from a 2nd hand store.

coffeetime likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.