Do you still buy music or do you only stream?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bherbert, Sep 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stanley00

stanley00 Forum Resident

I haven't purchased physical media in about ten years with the exception of a brief venture into vinyl. I use a combination of streaming services for different reasons:

A family subscription to Spotify because that's where my kids have their "music collection".
    Tidal for the sound quality.
    Radio Paradise for my radio needs.
    Nugs.net for live shows.

I'm more heavily invested in playback equipment that is designed to optimize streaming.

I really do envy those with large physical collections, but my lifestyle just isn't conducive to physical media.

bherbert likes this.
  2. GroovyVinylDood

GroovyVinylDood Forum Resident

I still buy all my music and don't stream. I guess I'm old school lol ;)

3. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I voted "buy only" even though I stream on rare occasions. I stream only to check something out. For actual listening pleasure, its physical media all the way.

Grand_Ennui, dalem5467 and bherbert like this.
  4. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member

I buy old vinyls.. from the 50s n 60s are my fav, they were more strong, with a bold sound, i dont know why.

Grand_Ennui and bherbert like this.
  5. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I buy goodies at great prices from our Classifieds like these new arrivals from Sonnyrock;

[​IMG]

billnunan and bherbert like this.
  6. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

I only stream, but sometimes I do buy digital copies of albums by my favorite artists.

brownie61 and bherbert like this.
  7. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident Thread Starter

I’ve gotten used to streaming now and I’ve stopped buying and collecting cd’s. It’s cheaper and more convenient. However, if something really special and unique is released I will buy the physical product. For example, The Beatles In Mono cd box and the Steven Wilson remixed box sets. This is rare though.

8. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I have more physical media here than I'll ever have time to listen to again. I'm only buying music I collect --boxed sets, special editions, core favorites. The rest of it I can hear in some other fashion.

bherbert likes this.
  9. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

Both man!

bherbert likes this.
  10. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Until I had Tidal Hifi, I would buy things on vinyl and digital. Vinyl for the house, digital for out and about on my LG V30 phone. Now I just pay the 20 a month, and only buy vinyl.

I probably save a bit of money this way, and its pretty cool that they allow you to download red book and mqa files to the phone to listen in offline mode later so you don't kill your data plan while on the road.

Gaslight, stanley00 and bherbert like this.
  11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I buy......I don't stream music unless I rip it myself and play it through my HD...

bherbert likes this.
  12. 389 Tripower

389 Tripower Just a little south of Moline

Both:
    I like to stream with my internet radio apps, and also like to stream with Sirius/XM. I like the convenience.
    Sound quality seems to be improving as time goes on. I just got a new iPhone 8+, it works so nice for that!

I usually buy physical media for permanent stuff - got lot's of old school equipment too.

bherbert likes this.
  13. John Porcellino

John Porcellino Forum Resident

I keep telling myself that I have to stop buying physical media... I have so much stuff on my shelves it's overwhelming, and there's lots of stuff I have that's shamefully still in shrinkwrap. Periodically I make myself stop buying, aside from deluxe boxes a la the Bootleg Series etc. But then I drift back into it. I think since the last time I "quit" I've purchased over 100 CDs. It's a sickness.

BrokenByAudio and bherbert like this.
  14. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident Thread Starter

Streaming is helping me recover from my cd addiction. It’s the antidote. I’m in recovery :)

RogerB likes this.
  15. Gagnedouze

Gagnedouze Forum Resident

I have enough music already, said no-one ever :D

c-eling, bherbert and Vaughan like this.
  16. We visit our local used record store every few weeks and buy compact disc from amazon a few time during the year.

bherbert likes this.
  17. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I buy. I don't stream.

18. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

I stream and I buy

bherbert likes this.
  19. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Re: Do you still buy music or do you only stream?
    Physicality only.

dalem5467 and bherbert like this.
  20. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I mostly stream now. I still buy vinyl and the occasional CD, but for the most part I stick to Spotify. I like streaming because it allows me to hear much more music than I did when I bought CDs, while simultaneously spending much less money.

bherbert and Zoot Marimba like this.
  21. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Only Buy

Streams are for fishing.

22. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I still buy music but I also stream. Why not? I can listen to an album even if it’s not on me at the moment and I can test the waters out before laying some dough down.

SirMarc and bherbert like this.
  23. olegrayman

olegrayman Senior Member

I buy and I stream but I don't buy what I stream. It's like paying for air you breath.

bherbert likes this.
  24. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Same here Vaughan, the money I save by not having a subscription goes towards those cool cd singles I'm so fond of :winkgrin:
    [​IMG]

bherbert likes this.
  25. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

I have happily bought downloadable songs, in modest amounts.. I almost always buy physical. I have yet to ever stream.

bherbert and c-eling like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.