Do you still listen to cassettes?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Vincent3, Sep 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

I never owned a Nak Dragon or anything fancy and primarily used cassettes while commuting. Despite having enjoyed them when they were my only option for listening on the go, I don't miss them at all. From my perspective, they were crap compared to today's portable sound reproduction options.

Glad to see others enjoying them, though.

Bungo and Rolltide like this.
  2. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I have hundreds of old cassettes that I used between 1999 and 2006. Recently I even did new mixtapes and cassette dubs (the first since 12 years I believe).
    But think I need a new tape deck, my old Sharp radio (double tape deck) actually got lots of damages over the time.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    The Doga likes this.
  3. Grower of Mushrooms

Grower of Mushrooms Omnivorous mammalian bipedal entity.

I have a few that I've made dig "needledrops" from, and listen to them occasionally.

But I don't have any way of actually listening to the music directly from tape.

4. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I'm a 'tinkerer' of music formats.
    So Yes.

showtaper and clhboa like this.
  5. nick99nack

nick99nack Forum Resident

I have many cassettes and a few decks, and I'm thinking of dumping almost all of it (or giving it away). I haven't messed with cassettes in years and they're taking up space. I know I have a bunch of sealed Maxell and TDK high bias tapes that I will probably sell at some point. I'm just about done with cassettes except for a few special ones that I will probably make digital copies of.

6. macster

macster Forum Resident

Yes, I have the usual decks Dragon, Cr7a, Revox B215, all fully functional, and over 2000 blanks/Ebay tapes and about 1000 cassettes that I've made. I almost forgot a Tascam 122MKIII also fully functional. All decks get their four hour exercise once a week. I also make my own lablel/inserts. But other than that I'm not into the format.

M~

7. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

Yes, and I even have some DCCs (Digital Compact Cassettes), too!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  8. ILoveMyDogs

ILoveMyDogs Forum Resident

I still have several 3-head tapedecks in use (2x Yamaha, 2x Pioneer).
    Most of my tapes are "Type II" by Maxell and TDK.
    I used to borrow classic-CD's from the library and tape them on cassette.
    I am very happy with the sound and format but of course I also listen to vinyl and am a sentimental person....

Westerwick and grbluen like this.
  9. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I still don’t understand that trend. Whereas I find digital files don’t sound as good as vinyl, they do sound better than cassette, along with being more convenient. I guess it’s probably cheaper for an indie band to produce copies of a cassette than to press vinyl, but surely CD would still be the way to go for a non-vinyl physical format. Damn hipsters...

sublemon likes this.
  10. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I think the problem is that for all of the sonic benefits of listening to vinyl, to a very large portion of the people driving the resurgence of the format, it's simply about the anachronism. So to these people tapes are just the logical progression of the anachronism.

I definitely don't begrudge anybody for keeping their tape decks and continuing to enjoy their collections. But I kind of fought hard to keep a friend of mind from buying a tape deck to "get back into tapes" and build up a library of pre-recorded tapes for no real reason. Sure, music is great and life is boring etc etc, but I just can't find the logic in that.

11. BurntOutBassment

BurntOutBassment Forum Resident

One of my biggest music regrets is that I don't have all the cassettes I've owned ov

ClassicalCD, jusbe and macster like this.
  12. grbluen

grbluen Well-Known Member

I have five or six cassette decks purchased in the last few years and have recently had installed a NOS OEM cassette player in my 2003 E46. So, yes!

clhboa likes this.
  13. BurntOutBassment

BurntOutBassment Forum Resident

Sorry, getting used to a new phone. Anyway, cassette was THE format when I was growing up, I've lost tapes I know I'll never see again,some of my fondest musical memories were tape based. I have 2 Cass decks, Yamaha and marantz and they can sound wonderful. Where I live I can pick up great second hand CDs very cheap but cassette is either overpriced or non existent. Shame as there must be so many unwanted tapes lying around. Big regret that I didn't look after my tapes better.

14. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I can even understand people who have a mechanical interest in cassette decks as a hobby, but new releases on cassette as the only physical format? It’s just weird. I’m sure you’re right about the reason why.

15. grbluen

grbluen Well-Known Member

I have to add that my first experience with cassette was in the late seventies and early eighties. Those cassettes that I made then barely resembled the source. Now, with the equipment that I have, it's really difficult to distinguish between the source and tape!

Vincent3, clhboa, jusbe and 2 others like this.
  16. macster

macster Forum Resident

That pretty much mirrors my experience. The tapes I make sound wonderful to me, and each one is a labor of love. I get a lot of joy and good feelings from making cassette recordings.

M~

17. subtemple

subtemple Well-Known Member

I kinda wish I still had my pre-recorded tape collection, tbh. I have fond memories of listening to tapes as a kid in the early 90s and wonder how they would sound to my current ears, after decades of cds, digital, vinyl.

Earlier someone called cassettes the worst format, and I don't doubt the sentiment, but it's just been so long since I've heard one.

The Doga and BurntOutBassment like this.
  18. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Cassette-free since 1993, luckily:D

19. Fishleehooke

Fishleehooke Forum Resident

I don't know why, but to me, ACDC sounds best on cassette.

The Doga likes this.
  20. macster

macster Forum Resident

My old tapes sound pretty good, but I've used mostly Naks since I got started. I might play a few tapes from my non Nak machines to see how they sound. I know that the ones made on my Denon sound pretty good.

M~

subtemple likes this.
  21. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

No. Not really. Not that I have anything against doing so.

But once a month I pop a prerecorded Bobby Vinton's Greatest Hits tape into my two cassette decks and play it for a few minutes to get all the decks' internal bits moving and not developing any flat spots etc.

Plus, I never get tired of watching my Nak RX-202 "flip" a tape.

Jeff

22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

well sort of...I have many transferred from LP to Cassette to CDR!

longdist01 likes this.
  23. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

Ha ha! With only one Nakamichi and about 700 tapes, I hope to *not* be as into the format as you one day!

24. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I just listened to the Tommy Bolin boxset on cassette this week.

Bob Y likes this.
  25. macster

macster Forum Resident

Yeah, I don't see what the fuss is all about. :D. But seriously as my system (mostly IMHO Mid Fi) has gotten better sonically so has the sound of my tapes.

M~

jusbe and grbluen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.