Do you still play fun (NOT audiophile) music on your high end stereo?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WvL, Dec 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yes.
    I play music because I like music.
    Just because the system I use is pretty good does not change my enjoyment of music as the first part of any audio system.

Glmoneydawg, mjcmt and chili555 like this.
  2. kentucky_slim

kentucky_slim Forum Resident

Heck yeah! I have little kids, 7 & 5, and we have created a dedicated playlist we put on to laugh and just rock out. Old silly songs like Fish Heads, Eat It by Wierd Al and fun stuff like that. It's a lot of fun.

3. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Any recommendations for systems designed specifically to bring out the attributes and deep feelings of the dirge?
    I’ve always really enjoyed a good dirge. They are a shining example of “fun” music.

Tim 2 likes this.
  4. jcn3

jcn3 Forum Resident

eva's live at blues alley is fabulous! however, imo, if you say diana k and shelby's just a litt lovin' are audiophile, then eva definitely is too. the beauty of all of them is the incredible recordings (and incredible voices)!

so really, i think only a label (ap, mofi, reference recordings for example) could be considered audiophile, not an artist . . .

5. Johnny YesNo

Johnny YesNo Forum Resident

I would say the majority of my records and CDs would not be considered audiophile recordings, but some actually sound pretty amazing. My system can bring out the best or worst in a recording, so I have played one track and thought nah, I'll just play that one through my SONOS. It's incredible to put on an early Ultravox LP to find it's a KenDun, or most any ole Porky Prime Cut 80's band, which sound as good as many audiophile pressings.

6. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Forum Resident

Absolutely, I built my system to enjoy music, I don't buy music to enjoy my system...

7. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

:righton: As it should be.

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  8. SteadyEddie

SteadyEddie Well-Known Member

Audiophile spends thousands of hours and thousands of dollars setting up system to playback audiophile quality recordings.
    Friend drops in with new low-fi record
    Audiophile spends thousands of hours and thousands of dollars ‘fixing’ his system.

9. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Baloney. I have thousands of dollars spent on headphone audio gear. I buy some low quality recordings from Bandcamp. I enjoy them and do nothing to my system to accommodate them. The lo quality recordings and lo-fi recordings sound fine to me. They sound lo-fi as they should. But no change in gear would change that.

10. SteadyEddie

Well I’m no audiophile but luckily I loves me a baloney sandwich:tiphat:

11. Francois1968

Francois1968 Forum Resident

what is the point of buying great gear if one doesn’t play fun music as well?
    Don’t even understand the term “fun” in this context…….Are you talking about so called “ guilty pleasures”, poorly recorded music but that is great from an artistic pov?……

12. Francois1968

Francois1968 Forum Resident

Indeed, the narrow minded audiophiles, aka audiofools, are only in for gear and highly expensive oil tweaks.
    To identify wether it’s all working well these people listen to sounds instead of music.

13. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Then why do you make sarcastic posts about audiophiles not being able to listen to low-fi recordings without changing gear?

A couple days ago I listened to the entirety of Kevin Drumm's Purge. It's pretty much an artistic noise recording. Many would not consider it music. I consider it ambient and can listen to it on my headphone system. Can you listen to it all the way through on your system? I'm very much an audiophile and I can listen to that recording all the way through on my system. Can you?

14. Mad shadows

Mad shadows Forum Resident

The quality of the music always trumps the quality of the recording.

John Buchanan and Clonesteak like this.
  15. SteadyEddie

Mate don’t choke on a HAM SANDWICH I was joking! Didn’t realise the emoji didn’t post sheesh. Your sense of humour is pretty low fi,

16. SteadyEddie

Oh and I can listen to a good song on an iPhone. If it’s good it’s good.

17. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

I listened to Public Enemy’s “It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back” last night and it sounded incredible.

18. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Nice save declaring this comment a joke after several posts debating the topic. Maybe it's your story telling that needs a spruce up rather than Ham Sandwich's sense of humour..

19. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Music both well recorded or not is worthy as long as the music is good.
    TV Eye Live by Iggy Pop being an example of good music recorded badly that is essential.
    There are plenty of others.
    The vasy majority of audiophiles are "music first".

Tim 2, elvisizer and WvL like this.
  20. SteadyEddie

Maybe. However even the greatest stand ups bomb occasionally so I’m in good company. Wouldn’t have thought with a war happening anyone could get so upset over a supposed audio slight though. Nice of you to weigh in, very helpful. And again it was a JOKE. I forgot to use the forum emoji and mine disappeared. Oi vey.

21. Walter Roman

Walter Roman Well-Known Member

I recently purchased Croft amp/pre amp for Audioflair in the UK and Adrian Parsons (the owners) in his bio says that he has a liking for youtube clips also.

22. dieselophile

dieselophile Audiophiliac

I use my audiophile quality system on all types of listening. The "Higher End" recordings get played on the better moving coil cartridges, the not so high end LP's get the Denon 301ii, Denon 103r ......rest of the system remains the same...this is often to save the more expensive cartridge unnecessary wear from older, less pristine, scratchy records...it only takes a minute to swap a cartridge out...no biggie really

Last edited: Feb 28, 2022
  23. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

Absolutely, not doing so means you're into sound more than MUSIC.

dieselophile, WvL and Glmoneydawg like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.