Do you still play fun (NOT audiophile) music on your high end stereo?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WvL, Dec 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

A very famous audiophile label owner was over and said to me “why do you even have this system” after seeing the music I really like. My favorite bands Hawkwind, Sabbath, Purple fall outside the audiophile tag.

clhboa, Ham Sandwich, Shawn and 2 others like this.
  2. Armjim

Armjim Music is indeed a gift from Heaven

Yes! Music is meant to be enjoyed as well as absorbed as far as I am concerned...if my system could not handle both the fun and the high end audiophile recordings, I would have no qualms about replacing it. Luckily my humble system brings my ears, mind and heart great satisfaction.

MCM_Fan likes this.
  3. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

All Krall, all the time.

4. alan967tiger

alan967tiger Forum Resident

I play music on my system and all of it is fun; all of the music I listen to is joyous and a beautiful thing in my life.

None of the systems I’ve put together over the past 30 years has limited my choices; indeed, it’s made me want to listen to a more eclectic range:)

5. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I don't have any "audiophile" records.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

My stereo system plays any music I want to hear. I see no point in owning a stereo system if I can’t do that with it…

guestuser, Blank Frank and WvL like this.
  7. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

You should try some of her hubby's music some time. He's pretty good, too. More fun, but keepin' it in the family.

brockgaw, Rick58 and Blank Frank like this.
  8. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Some of my audiophile-type records are fun music, FWIW. And all of them are music I like… because, again, why would I own music I don’t like?

MCM_Fan likes this.
  9. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I only listen to DR13 and above so I’ll see which ones of his albums qualify.

10. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

What, am I supposed to listen to Diana Krall and Kind Of Blue for the rest of my life because I have a decent hi-fi system ? The whole works would be on Kijiji so fast your head would spin. And I like Kind of Blue....

D.D.

Man at C&A and hi_watt like this.
  11. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Music first, sound quality second.

12. motorstereo

motorstereo Forum Resident

If Megadeath doesn't count as "audiophile music" then yes I'm guilty as charged

izeek, slovell, hi_watt and 2 others like this.
  13. I was just listening to the premiere release of Janis Ian. She was 15 years old when she cut those tracks! Many of them were not mixed so well. BUT, as my preamps get better, my ability to enjoy such an energetic young lady captured in a hasty manner has made listening to such “fun” recordings a real treat.

Rick58 and Big Blue like this.
  14. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

I’ve just ordered a “Music Quality Meter”. When I hook it up I’ll report on what it tells me.

izeek, Bananas&blow, slovell and 4 others like this.
  15. Blank Frank

Blank Frank King of Carrot Flowers

I'll listen whatever takes my fancy at any given moment, whether that meets with some apparent audiophool approval or not. Music is paramount.

Mind, some things which are notoriously ropey, such as the original Bowie mix of Raw Power, sound even better on more expensive kit - I can actually hear some bass on this now!

And having listened to some old mono Hendrix through a shed load of Dynavectors and some rather large Shahinians I cannot think of many better ways of doing so. Mind, a gazebo full of Exposures driving some not-quite-so-large Shahinians came close...

Big Blue likes this.
  16. timind

timind phorum rezident

Nothin but Patricia Barber on my system.

17. S Lord

S Lord Forum Resident

What's wrong with listening to Youtube clips? Youtube is one of many good ways to find great music. You don't hear a hifi version, but you will know whether you will like something. I do this because I am lazy, I haven't set up my streaming services to identify what I might like, because I rarely stream audio alone...I have hearing damage that changed the whole equation for the last 3 years.

Anyway, on a good system _nearly_ everything you have and like will sound better.

Buisfan and Rick58 like this.
  18. WvL

WvL Improve the lives of other people Thread Starter

SNAKE OIL! :laugh:

Rick58 likes this.
  19. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

I listen to music for fun, so i dont understand the question

20. Khorn

Can’t argue much about the sound quality and very individualistic presentation. Truly unique.

timind likes this.
  21. Khorn

It was designed by an expert in the field: a Dr. Van Nostrand.

hi_watt likes this.
  22. IllinoisCheesehead

IllinoisCheesehead Forum Resident

I had to look this up. Wow! I had no idea who her husband is. I learned something new again. :) I won't post it, though, so others who don't know can be surprised just like I was!

Batty, brockgaw, wgriel and 2 others like this.
  23. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

A bad sounding CD or LP does bother me and reduces my enjoyment. Enter my Schiit Lokius EQ! Don't know how I lived without it!

Johnny YesNo and Bananas&blow like this.
  24. drh

drh Talking Machine

When my daughter was a wee tot, we enrolled her in a--well, I guess it's a kindermusic knockoff, something called "Music Together." In connection with the program, we were obliged to buy a series of CDs of kiddie music, rhythmic chants, and whatnot. The selections, performed by what I'm sure was intended to replicate some idealized family of eternally optimistic, loving parents and kids, tended to be cringy-upbeat (the same vibe you'd get if you fed "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year" an overdose of happy pills), but after a while I noticed that these things were really, really well recorded. Somebody put in some serious effort to keep the audio standards high.

Keeping things "on topic," even though they were excellent recordings, now that we've long since moved on from that part of our lives, I don't play them--well recorded, yes, but not "fun"! :D

hi_watt likes this.
  25. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

She also made a collaboration album with him (songwriting at least). Not my favorite Krall album though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.