Do you still play fun (NOT audiophile) music on your high end stereo?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WvL, Dec 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

Of course!

2. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Ok man look I like you and all but it's time for an intervention on that meme. You've used it at least 3 different ways in the last 3 days one more time and I may have to report you. :cop:

3. MarkD51

MarkD51 Audio Maniac

Of course I don't listen to Cheech and Chong at 105db. Only 90db! LOL

wgriel and WvL like this.
  4. Buisfan

Buisfan Forum Resident

I became aware of sound quality when I heard identical songs on 45 rpm, 78 rpm or good reissues that opened up a brand new experience. ( for example Little Richards first 2 LP's on the MOFI sacd/cd, no compression, added reverb)
    I think everybody is sensitive to a certain amount of sound quality.
    That doesn't make me or them audiophiles, audiophiles are listening to vocals, instruments, ambiance , absense of noise, compression. On audiophile recordings with boring uninspired music.

5. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch the Face of God -

:biglaugh:

[​IMG]

bever70, WvL and jonwoody like this.
  6. RWBadley

RWBadley Not an Animal

Oh No!

Not long ago I saw a complete meltdown of a Gatorade truck. Who knew Gatorade was Flammable ?!

Classic Car Guy likes this.
  7. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

That's a different meme that's fine it's just those damn guys laughing I seem them constantly.

bever70 and Classic Car Guy like this.
  8. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I've always looked at my stereo as a means to play the music I like. But, being involved in audio, I won't listen to music on inferior gear that makes the music sound awful.

As to the thread subject, I am kind of the opposite. I sometimes find myself listening to music outside of my general preferences, only because it happens to be a good "audiophile" type recording and it happens to captivate me by how good it sounds on my system.

Jim0830, bever70, WvL and 3 others like this.
  9. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I listen to what I like. There's a lot of "audiophile" music that I've tried that I never listen to again. That said, I always try to find the best recording of what I like, which is why I--like many audiophiles--have multiple versions. I had hoped SACD would be successful and result in a lot of my favorites being remastered in better-sounding versions, but alas it was mostly not to be. Funnily, I have had more success due to the vinyl revival.

JohnK

10. B. Scarpia

B. Scarpia WatchingYouWatchingMe

Sure. I listen to this all the time:

[​IMG]

11. Classic Car Guy

For real? :confused:

12. DryWhiteToast

DryWhiteToast Where's my Ativan

I recently swapped out my Hana EL cartridge for my old Shure M97XE one. The reason was that the Hana really brought out the harshness in my old records and I want to play them.
    So, I guess, I did play the better sounding music but now, I am playing all my music and love it. The Shure doesn't reproduce some of those WOW moments but it comes pretty damn close with the "audiophile music".

wgriel and Oelewapper like this.
  13. Classic Car Guy

When did they ever invented that word "Audiophile" ? I never heard that in the 80's looking at my friend systems all brand new in the box 150 watts per channel Marantz. Is it like another mediocre hi-fi mumbo-jumbo word? Forgive me for saying this but the word just sounds like too cheesy. :unhunh:
    Not like McDonalds with a Big M...:-popcorn:

14. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie

It's about the music, not the equipment.

progrocker, heyMo and Pavol Stromcek like this.
  15. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

FUN Everyday... no audiophile music for me.

heyMo likes this.
  16. Martin Takamine

Martin Takamine Forum Resident

JohnO and thegage like this.
  17. hman

hman Forum Resident

I listen to all types of rock: post punk, classic, garage, lofi, shoegaze, prog, punk, indie, etc. I also listen to folk and blues. In all of those genres, there are good recordings, bad recordings and some great recordings.

My mood is what dictates what I listen to during any given session, and that includes both the music and the quality of the recording.

I hope that helps answer your question.

18. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Ha! Now that’s very recognizable!
    During the time my DJ setup evolved into a HiFi setup, I had a phase that I would only play “audiophile approved” music/records.
    But nowadays I don’t really care anymore.
    Recently I received another record from Octave Records that sounds amazing, so that’s awesome… those are the moments you’re reminded of that your system is something special.
    But that’s not my main drive to play a record, so I pick whatever I like based on the music itself.
    I even play some of my good old hardstyle records from time to time… made to play loud, a lot of bass and sibilance - definitely not your audiophiles’ music!

19. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Well, I was just playing Blue Oyster Cult's "Godzilla" from E.T.I Live, that's hardly a hi-fi show staple :laugh: And how can you not love lyrics like
    "He picks up a bus and he throws it back down
    As he wades through the buildings toward the center of town"
    and
    "Oh no!
    There goes Tokyo!
    Go go Godzilla"
    Here's a different version of that, kinda cool and more intelligible

20. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Hey, Thinking of when I play music it’s always basically for positivity and fun. Why or what else would I be playing it for?

21. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I play everything on it.

22. Angry_Panda

Angry_Panda Pipe as shown, slippers not pictured

I only listen to releases from this label on my good system: Audiophile (2)

The reason: once I accidentally put a Little Richard disc on that system. I was picking bits of Tutti-Frutti out of my interconnects for weeks after that. Never again.

;)

bever70 and Rick58 like this.
  23. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

The majority of my recording are not audiophile recordings. I listen to whatever I feel like listening to on my main system. But well recorded music does sound really wonderful on my system, and I certainly do really enjoy great recordings (so long as I also like the music).

But occasionally I do run across music that I like which was recorded so badly that I will decide that I'd rather just listen to it on a mediocre set of headphones at work than through my main system. But if I like the music on the bad recording enough that I really want to listen to it on my main system, I will occasionally try my hand at a personal remastering to make the bad recording listenable.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2021
  24. COBill

COBill Forum Resident

Why do you think "audiophile" and "fun" are mutually exclusive?

Playing Fresh Aire III and I Robot make me positively giddy.

bever70 and Bananas&blow like this.
  25. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I love The Sonics' records from 1964 ~ 1966 and have some reissues that try to improve on the original Etiquette sound a bit. But there's only so much you can do with such poorly recorded sound. But they are fun as hell and yes I play them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.