Do you still play fun (NOT audiophile) music on your high end stereo?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WvL, Dec 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

Yeah, I've noticed.

Harris11235 likes this.
  2. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

The only time that I don't is when the original recording was probably made on a really cheap/low quality recorder, in which case I've found that at least some of the time, as with many audience recordings, something akin to what it was originally recorded on might give the best results, that is, a player incapable of revealing the limitations of the original recording because it too has the same limitations.

3. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

Fun records like this? Certainly, after a stylus change, of course.

[​IMG]

Otlset and brucej4 like this.
  4. Harris11235

Harris11235 Forum Resident

I keep one turntable in my system for exactly this kind of situation. The Project/2M Blue is a lot more forgiving of bad recordings or pressings.

5. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

I went to college at University of Detroit starting in '74 and lived there for another 5 years upon graduation. I was big into punk and new wave, but somehow they completely passed underneath my radar. I just found out about them for the first time 3 years ago now. One of the owners of my hi-fi dealers found out I went to college at UD and asked if I ever heard of them. He said they were amazing. He sent me a link for a documentary feature about then. He was right too, the footage I saw was amazing.

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  6. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

I remember back in my vinyl days many “Audiophile” recordings tended to equal emotionless recordings. Many were meant to show off rather than listen to and enjoy your system. I found a lot to be rather snore bores.

7. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Yes, don't ask what because I would not say.

8. What I've always enjoyed about my system is not how it treats audiophile recording, it's how it take those crappy recordings that much more listenable.

slovell, Tullman, Jim0830 and 2 others like this.
  9. sturgus

sturgus Forum Resident

No I play whatever I feel like. Some music just sounds better than others.

10. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

Never got into audiophile recordings, just whatever I like (on the best system I can afford :)

11. brucej4

brucej4 Forum Resident

I think I will celebrate the New Year by playing my cassette single of "Jingle Bells" by The Singing Dogs...

12. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

Until I was 16 or so, AM radio was my main source for listening to music. It was always a pleasure listening to a song for the first time via a record or hearing it on an FM stereo broadcast. You heard better frequency response, greater detail and more realism to the sound that made the music even better than you first imagined. There was often things buried in the mix that the better sources let you experience. I remember going to a friends house where everybody would bring new albums to listen to on the families hi-fi or stereo system. We would sit around in a circle on the Living Room or Family Room floor to share the experience together, pass the album covers around and discuss the music. A decent sound system made this possible.

13. Francois1968

Francois1968 Forum Resident

I'd rather listen to my favorite music on a crappy transistor radio or in 128 KBPS than snobbish and all but musical hires files, SACD's on a 100K high end set...........

WvL and Richard Austen like this.
  14. mcbrion

mcbrion Forum Resident

Sure I do. Everything from 30s blues music, 40s jazz, comedy albums, the entire Motown catalog (on vinyl), Rolling Stones, Beatles, Iron Butterfly, Yma Sumac, The Eagles, The Pretenders, The Clash, Springsteen, Fleetwood Mac, Drake, Adele, NWA, Lizzo, Lil Nas X, Joni Mitchell, The soundtrack of Hair, the Soundtrack of The Sound of Music, opera (I like Maria Callas' odd voice), Master Kodo Drummers, Ravi Shankar, Alabama, and all the classical labels: Mercury, RCA, Decca, Athena, Telarc, London.

Who buys a state of the art system (I don't mean my current system, although I could have said that ("state-of-the-art") 35 years ago) just to listen to "audiophile" records??? That's a waste of music. It also means someone is often more an equipment junkie and not a music lover (although those two things can co-exist!). Sometimes I like listening on my friends' Bose system more than mine, because I turn off my critical faculties and just enjoy the music without listening for things I know are in the music, but their system glosses it over. It's still music. Aretha is still Aretha on a Bose! And so is Lil Nas X!

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  15. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

Well yeah. I don't play beat up lps on my VPI, that's what cds are for.

16. Nakamichi

Nakamichi The iceage is coming....

I play the music I like.
    If its audiophile quality, its a bonus.

WvL likes this.
  17. APH

APH Forum Resident

18. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Saw them over here in Belgium, they made you feel 'alive' (or maybe that's because I was still in my 20's :D)!

Harris11235 and Bill Hart like this.
  19. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

The 7" EP released through ORG Music and Bad Brains Records sounds really good.

jupiterboy likes this.
  20. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I stopped playing music just for "the fun factor" when I finally got a respectable stereo setup. I consider it part of growing up and appreciating the finer things.

Let the hipster kids have their "fun" with low-fidelity recordings. It's their loss.

[​IMG]

21. Khorn

I wonder what a compilation of “worst sounding recordings ever” would contain?

Somehow I wouldn’t want to wake up to a high decibel “On Top Of Old Smokey” or “Cruising Down The River”.

22. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I've not heard it, but raw is good. I'll take black dots over Ocasek any day.

23. georgebz1

georgebz1 Remember 1939. Stop Putin Now.

I only play music that's fun for me to listen to. I try to find the best sounding versions of my favorites. I take both performance and sound quality into consideration but most of my collection isn't audiophile quality. Especially not my 50's and 60's rock and roll, some of which is really dreadful.

24. Victor Martell

Victor Martell Forum Resident

Interesting question - just saw the thread, so replying to the OP. Some things to unpack though... At first, my knee jerk reaction was, no, I will play anything on my good system... except that I don't, something I realized when I thought about it...

Now as for what is "audiophile music", in that I disagree - not sure what it means... well recorded music? there is a lot of well recorded music that I really dislike... not to mention my initial image of audiophiles as nerds playing an infinite loop of "female vocals" music on their monster systems...

So, maybe the OP means... universally well regarded music? serious music ( again, whatever that means )?

I will change the concept, FOR ME, PERSONALLY, I reserve the good system for the music that I love, Classical, Jazz and in lesser extent, Prog and related styles... for music that I casually like or that I don't love as I used to ( heavy metal included here )... I tend to do that on the phone... in situations where I am not just listening to music... weird how that worked out...

Good question! :D Did not realize I did that until now...

v

25. Khorn

Trouble is I never say to myself “I’m going in to sit down and listen to some serious music.” I might seriously listen to music but, I ain’t gonna to be brought down by no serious music.

I never want a serious music charge brought against me.

Harris11235, Steve356 and WvL like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.