Do you still play fun (NOT audiophile) music on your high end stereo?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WvL, Dec 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

Of course!

2. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

Often

3. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

To answer OP's question, I play all of my physical music collection through my stereo, regardless if it's good quality or not. My Instagram account in the signature below shows the type of music I played.

4. FulhamTarheel

FulhamTarheel Forum Resident

Of course.

Might as well try to make less-than-quality recordings sound good and have fun with them!

5. gakerty

gakerty Forum Resident

I only listen to Keith Don't Go and Diana Krall on my system. jk Good music is good music, with warts and all if not well produced.

WvL likes this.
  6. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Whitesnake , Coverdale Page etc yep. Doesn’t sound bad actually just not really audiophile :)

7. David Sonnier

David Sonnier Forum Resident

Was playing Frampton Comes Alive a few days ago. I love rock from my high school years, many are a far cry from audiophile grade.
    So, Yes. Yes I do!

8. WvL

WvL Improve the lives of other people Thread Starter

The responses to this thread give me hope :righton:

MikeJedi likes this.
  9. Tajo1960

Tajo1960 Tajo = tayo (tata, dad ~ in slang)

Yes of course :)
    Among other things, I really like country and rock. I haven’t read anywhere yet that some country or rock artist recorded a High-end Audiophile CD.

10. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

Nothing but! I'm not a fan of "audiophile" music.

11. WvL

In my defense, I do play Diana Krall albums...but I actually enjoy Diana Krall :D

12. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

Let the fun begin!!!

[​IMG]

WvL likes this.
  13. Acapella48

Acapella48 Forum Resident

Let see ...

There's classic rock, hard rock, heavy metal, punk, folk, country, blue grass, R&B, blues, soul, funk, techno, disco, reggae, Hip hop, electronic, jazz, renaissance, baroque, classical, romantic, 20th century, Indie, gospel, pop, k-pop, new wave, grunge, yada-yada, yada ...

Shouldn't ALL music be fun music?

Audiophile Music ???? :confused: -- Never heard of it.

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  14. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Some of the crappiest, dirtiest, noisy, disgusting pieces of vinyl get played daily on my several thousand dollar system.

Precisely because they're fun.

gakerty likes this.
  15. WvL

I played my "fun" playlist on my drive home tonight

16. TheRealMcCoy

TheRealMcCoy Senior Member

100%!! Just getting the best sounding copy available be it CD or Vinyl…

Khorn likes this.
  17. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Oh yeah. Ricky Nelson sounds great on the same stuff I listen to Roxy Music's "Avalon" on.

CDFanatic likes this.
  18. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I don't use music to listen to my system. I use my system to listen to music. So while it's true I have a nice collection of high-quality remaster/reissues, I'm just as likely to pull out a crusty old original pressing as I am to pull out a Mofi/MMJ/AP, etc. It's the music I care about listening to.

rogertheshrubber likes this.
  19. rangda

rangda Forum Resident

Absolutely not. I play music I like period. To be honest I find most "audiophile" music completely uninteresting.

Steve356 likes this.
  20. rangda

rangda Forum Resident

OK the B-52's I knew about and have been impatiently waiting for them to come off back order. I don't care for their later stuff but the first 2 albums are fantastic to play at 11 and b ring the house down with the Watt/Puppies. But HOW did I not know about KC & the Sunshine Band??? I MUST HAVE THIS.

21. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Plenty of my favourite records aren't made for high end stereos. Punk, garage rock...

22. RogerE

RogerE Rambo, the world famous squirrel, says yeah!

I grew up with cheap, manufactural-wise mediocre records and for me there's still something real and organic to them.
    Audiophile records on the other hand often sound soulless to me.
    My latest example is I Robot. I bought a used German copy in a bookstore in the mid-90s, for what would be now 2,30 euros and recently upgraded to the MoFi-45 set, but I still like to listen to my cheap copy more. I don't know, I just can relax listening to it in a way that doesn't work with the MoFi.
    Now that I think about it, I'm way more forgiving with my German, I don't expect too much from it. That may be the point.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
    GyroSE likes this.
  23. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I’d say the equipment doesn’t have much to do with it. If it’s a poor sounding recording I don’t find it all that much fun. Like listing to a bootleg recording, it can be fantastic content but there is a minimum threshold that needs to be archived with the recording for it to be worthwhile.

like listening to a great piece of music performed by a bad musician.

the only time the equipment comes into question is if it’s an album that has condition issues. I’m not happy to play a noisy 7in single on a stylus that cost thousands of dollars.

Zoroastra likes this.
  24. Zoroastra

Zoroastra Forum Resident

For many years, when others came by for a listen, I would play whatever showed off my system (usually the speakers determined this) in the best light. Unfortunately, as others have already mentioned, such recordings were often great recordings of unknown or bad music (or, if at a show, of tinkling bells and gongs with a female voice chanting in a great distance some highly reverberated words in an indecipherable language).

As my system changed, different records came to the fore, until I finally replaced my audiophile speakers with some vintage Altec A7 VOT's and now everything sounds good.

I now enjoy listening to ALL my (pure analogue, no digital to vinyl) records instead of just those few, however, I do perk up a bit when playing one of the the odd examples of good-music-by-competent musicians-on-well-recorded-vinyl (like the Classic Records release of "Satchmo Plays King Oliver", or "Scott Hamilton and Friends" on fone' records) which puts the players in the room with me.

25. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

No, quite the opposite. For me the whole point of having a good system is that everything, especially poorly recorded albums, sounds enjoyable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.