Do you unplug your system during a thunderstorm?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Oelewapper, Jun 19, 2022.

1. mds

mds Forum Resident

I turn the system off most times if it seems the storm is nearby. If I go away for the weekend or longer I unplug but not for a passing thunder storm unless it is truly a monstrous storm.

Audiofan1 likes this.
  2. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

I believe you; thousands wouldn't ...

3. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

My power surge unit is so expensive, I always turn everything off at the tap (plug) to save the power surge unit :D:D:D

Audiofan1 likes this.
  4. Tajo1960

Tajo1960 Tajo = tayo (tata, dad ~ in slang)

Uh :(
    Bad!

5. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

I never experienced a power surge in my entire life, neither during thunderstorms nor otherwhise.

I think thunderstorms can only be a threat if you get your power from cables on poles. If it comes from sub-surface cables, it should be safe from lightning strikes.

Televisions (or radios) can be in trouble if connected to a roof top antenna. But if you have cable, you should also be safe from that.

6. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor. Thread Starter

There are no poles in the Netherlands, except for the 200 meter high voltage international transmission lines.
    All local stuff is under ground for about 50 years now.
    It’s the transformation and relay stations that are the gateway for lightning strikes to get onto the grid.

DrZhivago likes this.
  7. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

We get wild ass lightning storms during the rainy season (summer) here in Japan, in this area. Heart stopping lightning strikes real close. Of course I unplug.

G E, andrewskyDE and Tajo1960 like this.
  8. Tajo1960

Tajo1960 Tajo = tayo (tata, dad ~ in slang)

A few years ago, lightning struck a Telecom pole / transmitter 7-8 km away from me.
    At that time, over 200 home telephones, fax machines, modems, computers were burned in my part of the city ...
    The overvoltage went over the phone lines. I know this for sure, because I personally had damage in my home.
    Real situations seem to be very different from place to place, from state to state, from user to user. There is no unique rule.

Edit:
    When struck by lightning, one old rule should be kept in mind.
    The rule is:
    "Every electric household appliance runs on white smoke! When the smoke comes out - the appliance no longer works!"
    This often happens with thunder and lightning strikes the house, and especially strikes the power wires of the house. :)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  9. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Here in the south during the summer we have vicious thunderstorms. Even though I have whole house surge protection and power conditioners on all my systems, I will unplug if storms are expected. Home owners insurance only covers what the insurance terms “typical home items”, my systems cost is far in excess of normal items. Just not worth chancing it.

Audiofan1 and DrZhivago like this.
  10. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

Every telephone cord, audio cable, video cable and ethernet cable that plugs into your A/V system, Computer System or Network is a potential path for a power surge to travel along. Take some time and trace the paths of all such wires. Make sure all such devices are plugged into a surge protector or UPS or you may be unpleasantly surprised one day. Also don't get the cheapest one you can buy. How much is a good surge protector vs the cost of replacing a cheap surge protector and fried gear?

11. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

Just unplug. In my experience arguing with an insurance company about the value of electronic equipment and speakers is disappointing at best.

Encore likes this.
  12. John76

John76 Forum Resident

I have underground utilities and never experienced lightning damage during storms despite neighbors homes living kitty corner to me having sustained direct lighting hits on two separate occasions. I keep my gear powered 24/7.

13. Oliver Meyer

Oliver Meyer In Audio Heaven Up Here

I’ll respond with a sometimes. Depends if I’m home or not. What I will add is that I like to disconnect and power down my equipment periodically anyways. Just for ten minutes or so.

14. A Grain of Sand

A Grain of Sand Forum Resident

I turn the switches off for my power strips. One for the entertainment center, another for my computers.

15. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Same here. And unplug when we go away in summer.

16. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

Question: does switching a surge protector off give you the same protection as unplugging it from the wall, or is there a chance electricity will still flow through? If off, is it literally disconnected or can it somehow arc across?

17. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor. Thread Starter

Sure, if the voltage is high enough, it's still able to spark across the contacts of an open mechanical switch.
    The breakdown voltage of air is about 3kV/mm depending on air humidity, so for example a gap between switch contacts of 2mm means a voltage of ~6kV and higher can spark across it (it's linear).

More information about that can be found here:
    Electrical breakdown - Wikipedia

matrix-6 likes this.
  18. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

Sometimes if it’s a bad electrical storm and I’m home. We unfortunately have above ground power lines susceptible to wind and lightning here so it is worrisome at times. Otherwise I just turn everything thing in the system off.

19. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

I may be moving to a place with no electricity. Apparently I’ll only be able to plug in my system when there are thunderstorms!
    Guess I’ll have to pray for wet weather.

matrix-6 likes this.
  20. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I would if I lived in a more susceptible area. I’ve met people that have had to replace electronics more than once and it all had to do with where their house was located.

21. The Curator

The Curator Forum Resident

Oh yes. Sure, I use a mains conditioner/filer but why risk it? Same with the compu

:laugh:

22. alanb

alanb Senior Member

In Scotland that would be a lot unplugging......

23. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Being tube type that can take a surge, I do not unplug. If I had SS I definitely would unplug.

24. All Rights

All Rights Senior Member

The tallest skyscrapers here take all the lighning hits, small tenements such as mine not so much.
    All utilities in Manhattan are underground. So no, I don't unplug.

25. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

No

But if I am going away for days I switch the Furman off.
    I have whole house protection also.

The switch is always a higher withstand than the insulation. (The insulation 1500 V, the switch much higher). You will short to ground before arcing the switch. The surge protection is before the switch so still in play. And the load side has a much higher Z than ground so most current is shunted to G.

If all else fails, homeowners insurance.