DCC Archive Do you use a Mac???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Unknown, Jan 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unknown

Unknown Guest Thread Starter

I'd like to know who are the Macies in this forum... I'm just curious!

I'm using an Apple Cinema 22" Display, G4 733 MHz (OS X) connected with a DSL-modem. Workin' (@home) with High End software only... Illustrator, Indesign, Photoshop, XPress etc.

Well, can't wait to hear Steve Jobs' keynote at the Macworld in San Francisco on Monday! And I hope I can replace my G4 machine with a new G5 as soon as possible.

2. Douglas

Douglas New Member

Yes, I use a G4. Macs are the only computer for the serious audiophile (ducks flying eggs)

3. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

I use an iMac DV, and I love it!! (I use Windows machines enough at work ...)

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Ducks flying eggs?? Is that what "Think different" means?? ;)

Proudly NOT a Mac user, although I have no harsh feelings for Mac users. I'm glad to be one of the nutty Windows/AMD tweekers. Apples do a great job of crunching multimedia. I'll give you that!

5. Unknown

Oh, Sckott...

I must work with Mac + PC's, and I'm happy I can live without this crappy stuff. It's the biggest ********, what I've ever seen in my life! ;)

6. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Just for fun, okay???

Anti-Mac Page

I'm sure there's tons more anti-MS pages, right?? Ha ha...

7. Unknown

PEACE!!!

8. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

Noooo problem, can you prove it?

9. Unknown

I have a Mac. However, I really don't like any OS going right now, so don't take that as a ringing endorsement. Building OS X as the marriage of a 10 year old and 20 year old OS was a *BAD* IDEA. They should have built it on BeOS (reader polls even said so at the time). You know it, I know it, the American people know it. The Dock sucks and OS X is a usability meltdown.

Wow, Mac OS has preemptive multitasking and protected memory now? And it only took how many years? :D

I also appreciate Apple's insistence on doing their own SDK for Java (at least for OS 9 and earlier)...and lagging about a year behind Sun on things like Swing support. :mad:

10. Dan

Dan Senior Member

I work for Apple, does that count?

11. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Well, my Amiga blows away those IBM clowns and Macintrash.

Oh thats right.... its not 1988 anymore.

12. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

Hehe...

Wanna guess what I do for a living? :D

13. Holy Zoo

By the way, I think OSX rocks. I thinks it's quite usable, and the stability has been excellent (hasn't crashed once) since the upgrade to 10.1

BTW, I've been both a unix and mac user for 15 years now, and I'm in heaven. A tcsh shell on my mac! Yaaay!

14. Unknown

Manage a band called "Holy Zoo"?

Check this out:
    http://www.asktog.com/columns/044top10docksucks.html

I've used Macs for 12 years or so, and played with various flavors of Unix as well. My last job, before going to graduate school, was Macintosh software and printer/network firmware testing.

[Interestingly, in the present economy, my skills and degrees are apparently worth a large bucket of spit.]

15. Douglas

Douglas New Member

No, Sckott, it means there are lots of Windoze users that are extremely [and rudely] anti-mac even though the last Mac they used was in 1987. Talk to a musician; most of them who have a choice will choose a Mac: Bowie, Peter Gabriel and many others have publicly stated that's the only OS platform they use.

16. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

I loved the last OS that I had (9.06). I knew it inside and out. It is so intuitive it makes Windows seem psychotic. Nothing crept its way into my System Folder without my knowing about it. I had Mac troubleshooting down to an art.

I like Windows and in many ways it is much more versatile. It is more stable than OS 9.xx. I just never got the feel for it, so my troubleshooting skills are nil. That's a scary feeling, and its the reason I'm thinking of getting a G4 in a year. Who knows maybe I'll figure Windows out by then. I still yearn for a fully tricked out MB, processor, RAM, CD-RW etc.

17. Holy Zoo

:D Make a living that way? I wish... to date, Holy Zoo cds have brought in a total income of about $300. Sigh... maybe one day they'll break it big...

For a living, I'm the engineering manager of the Swing GUI toolk at Sun. I helped design, code, and wrote most the demos.

Yeah, I've read it. Read most of tog's complains about Aqua a couple years ago, and for the most part, I disagree with him. I'm being more productive on OSX than I ever was on OS9. WAY more productive than on Widows, and WAAAAAY more productive than on Motif/CDE.

I hear ya. We had layoffs recently, wasn't fun.

[ January 02, 2002: Message edited by: Holy Zoo ]

18. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

I never liked Togs wagging-the-finger from the peanut gallery attitude.

19. Unknown

I think that's called "consulting." :D

Seriously, he wasn't always in the "peanut gallery," you know. I agree with most of what he says, incidentally, although I didn't care for his second book at all.

HZ --> question for you: can you confirm that in the early days, Sun was writing the Java SDK for Apple? I feel confident this was the case, but I had a developer tell me once that Apple always wrote their own.

I was working on some Java code for my thesis research a little over a year ago. I started out using a Mac with CW Pro, but quickly had to ditch it because the SDK was so severely outdated (e.g., "Double.parseDouble" would not work!!!). I switched over to NT/Linux and had much better luck. (Still a pain to work around MS's VM for applets, tho.)

Incidentally, my master's degree is in human factors engineering. Again, this sheet of paper ranks right up there with the bucket of spit. :(

Are we off topic? Umm, DCC rules! Yeah...

20. Holy Zoo

</STRONG>

As with everything, the truth lies somewhere in between. :)

The short version is: both Apple and Sun worked on it together, but I'm sure Apple had way more people on it than us.

Yeah! Right on! :D

21. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

Who's the ower of Sun? Isn't he on Apples BOD and is buddies with Jobs?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.