SH Spotlight Do you want to hear two amazing RCA-Victor 78s from 1932? Ted Weems, Isham Jones..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

2. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Thats a shame about the originals being unavailable for so long, but probably a good thing, considering how much wear and tear on the original metal parts was avoided.
    That early digital restoration effort has been what i've beeen stuck with on cd since I was 11, but it has served me well.

Now time for sad story of the day.

About 8 years ago, my next door neighbor had to forclose his house. Or he was evicted, or something like that. I'm not sure of the story to be honest. I did however, find out afterwards, that he was an avid 78 collector. He had period machines, victors and victrolas, other brands, all sorts of stuff. Now, after he was no longer living there, a very large dumpster found its way onto his front lawn, with all his belongings finding their way inside of it. I'm not entirely sure if any of his talking machines were inside of that dumpster, waiting to be hauled off to the dump, but I do know that overflowing out from the top were hundreds, if not thousands of discs. I was 11 at the time (this find sparked my interest in Caruso, tempted me to seek out the Complete collection on cd)
    Numerous records littered the sidewalk, in shards. Every disc I could reach from the top was cracked in 2 or more pieces. Everyone I could grab was a single faced Caruso disc, and every one of them looked to have been in absolute pristine E+ condition, had they not been in pieces.

I kid you not. :realmad: I'm not even mad about the fact that I didn't benefit from this by "inheriting" one ****load of a collection. I'm angry that someone had the nerve to treat these artifacts in such an indescribably cruel way.

3. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

That is too bad. Perhaps a lifetime of a carefully procured collection gone to a landfill.

There's a population of older 78 collectors who may be not around too many more years, and one wonders what will happen to their collections. Hopefully, the internet and it's resources could now help siphon off some of them rather than wholesale destructions like you describe. They're hard to get rid of at street level, some thrift stores won't even take them anymore.

4. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

Post WWII settlements aren't good place to find 78's, as a rule, I think.

But...New York city isn't far off.:D I bet there are still plenty of nooks ' crannies one could look for old records. New York was also the site of much recording activity back then. Columbia, Brunswick, Edison, Victor etc. etc. all had recording studios in New York in the old days.

5. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

What will happen to the collections?

...I will ;)

Anyhow, I have a whole box of 78s I just can't keep, for a lack of storage space as well as a lack of interest in the recorded material. The closest (only) thrift store by me doesn't want them, neither do any of the record stores. I'd really rather these didn't go to a landfill, even if they have more value for use as a dissloved shellac varnish on my roof.

6. some more hot jazz...

Erwing Brothers Orchestra ~ 1933 Vocalion 2564

Side A: Rhythm
    Side B: The Erwing Blues

7. Thanks Steve.

Best Wishes
    David

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

We had a request for a re-opening of this thread, here ya go. Enjoy the old tunes.. Soon, back to the FAQ section..

9. Steve Hoffman

Getting a Shure V15 Type IV 78 tip installed soon. Will be curious as to how that works..

10. Steve Hoffman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.