Do you want to see some pictures from the old DCC days?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, May 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Claus Cheng wanted me to dig up some shots of DCC for his website in Germany so I pulled some snaps out and scanned them. Some of you who have a lot of DCC discs and LP's might want to see the faces of the people you read about in the credits: Sam Passamano, Jr., Roberta Ballard, Marcia, McGovern, etc.

This first one doesn't have anything to do with DCC but is a shot of singer Clair Marlo I took when we were dating. (She might kill me for this):

2. Steve Hoffman

This is a shot of me in my DCC office in Chatsworth. Notice the McIntosh 275 amp, the Citation preamp and my old Tannoy 12" monitors...

3. Steve Hoffman

This is my friend musicologist Diana Reid Haig at the Carl Perkins museum. Diana is pointing to the piece of potato sacking that Carl wrote the words to "Blue Suede Shoes" on. That's Carl's Les Paul in the window, too. Great place, Jackson Tenn. Photo by Marshall Chapman.

4. Steve Hoffman

Here are (from right to left) Sam Passamano, Jr., Roberta Ballard (DCC Production manager) and Brigette, who took all of your DCC phone orders. This photo was taken by DCC's Mike Ragogna.

5. Steve Hoffman

This great shot is of the first DCC family (back when we were called Dunhill Compact Classics. This was at the Northridge office.

Standing is Brian Higgins, sales manager, me (that's not my hair, just a shadow), the late Lou Verzola, VP of sales, the late Dee Grone, accounting manager. Under us is Marcia McGovern (pre-production manager), Pattie Lundy (receptionist). Sitting are Marshall Blonstein with daughter Nevada, and Bobby Roberts (founder of Dunhill Records). I don't know who the little boy is. Probably the son of the person taking the picture.

6. Steve Hoffman

This is Esty, who was the DCC accounts payable bookeeper and me, having a bad hair day. This is at the Northridge office. Esty's husband and Marshall had a truly bonding relationship. :)

7. Steve Hoffman

Another stupid shot of me in the Chatsworth location. See the beat up JBL studio monitors behind me? Same pair I mastered HOTEL CALIFORNIA on! I think this is right after we moved from Northridge. My desk is a LOT cleaner. My old Tascam DAT machine is to my left.

8. Steve Hoffman

Dunhill, Northridge. Marcia McGovern and I when my desk was right out in the main reception area. Heh. I didn't mind. I got to flirt with Patty Lundy. Behind me are two posters of movies that Bobby Roberts produced (Landers-Roberts did all of the "Death Wish" films...)

9. Steve Hoffman

This is Susan Randle, DCC's main graphic artist poolside at my old house.

10. Steve Hoffman

I stuck this shot in here just for Kevin Gray to see: Susan Randle at my favorite Mexican joint, just up the street from RTI/AcousTech Mastering.

11. Steve Hoffman

At AcousTech Mastering. Left to right: Don MacInnis (the owner of RTI), Stan "The Man" Ricker, Tom (Humorem) Port, me, record dealer Brian Hartsell, and our buddy Kim Kerwin (slightly cut off). This is another shot from when Stan and I were working on the DCC LP of LUSH LIFE.

12. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Great pictures Steve!

I was gonna attach a picture of my favorite Mexican joint too but thought I might get in trouble...
    :cool:
    Peace
    Norm

13. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Thanks for sharing Steve!

14. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Great pictures, Steve! One question - when are you going to start doing your hair like that again?

15. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

Notice the Beatles lithograph in your office! I've got the same Beatles lithograph framed and matted. I own a complete matched set of these, very nice.

16. Angel

Angel New Member

Hi Steve,

Thank you for these! I love looking at snapshots of people, even if I don't know them. I do recognize many of these names though. My bet is that you have a great many shots like this. I hope you can scan them sometime for us.

Claire Marlo's photo is sweet. Not a very glamourous place she (or you) were living in, but we all have to start someplace.

I recognize Diana Haig's name from many compilations I own. She does wonderful work. I know she is the person that talked you out of re-mixing everything in the world and just use the original mixes instead. For that she has my blessing. You have talked about her many times.

Sam Passamano is now a label owner (S&P Records) and I wish him well. He seems like a nice person. I've seen Roberta's name on almost every DCC release and Brigitte I've actually had several conversations with back in the late 1990's trying to buy every DCC gold CD I could afford.

Marsha McGovern seems like a nice person. In one DCC compact disc booklet her credit read: Marsha McGovern/Tugboat Dispatcher. I could never figure out why but I assume it was an in-joke or a bit of whimsy that was left in the booklet by mistake. It must have been fun to work at DCC. No one looks as though they are ready to burst into tears. I remember reading an interview with you where you said that DCC was the happiest record company you had ever seen.

Sue Randell is the artist who put the pineapples all over the Arthur Lyman CD label and did that nice Chris Montez CD. I do notice these things you know.

Thank you again for making it easy for us to put a face to a name.

17. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Is it me, or does Diana Reid Haig look like Phoebe Cates? :love:

18. stever

stever Senior Member

Steve, thanx for sharing the photos.

19. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Steve,

In picture # 2 (your office) is that a Tascam Reel machine in the photo?

Bob:)

20. Steve Hoffman

Ummm, yeah, a 7100 or was it a 6100? Can't remember, but it was the best sounding of the bunch. Sam Passamano, Jr. has it now. :)

21. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Steve,

Here I was going to make you an offer on it!:p

Bob;)

22. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

neato!

Thanks for sharing, Steve!

23. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Steve- thanks for putting these up. I enjoyed looking at the photos and the smiling folks whose names I've seen often. I also enjoyed your ever changing hair! You should do another thread sometime of some of the many different "hair phases" you've gone through. There was a period there when you could provide shelter for a den of Boy Scouts in there!:)

24. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

It's cool to get a look at the people who brought us some great music, but it's even more cool to witness the evolution of Steve's hair!

25. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Cool photos, Steve! Nice to see the people behind the music. The DCC customers are people who actualy read the credits on their CDs!!

BTW - Couldn't they have provided you with a better desk??? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.