Dobie Gray "Look At Me" from 1962, Gold Star Studios. Tracking down the master on this 1 wacky song.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I thought a few of you might find this interesting. I had never heard this "Northern Soul" classic in my life until I started working on the Crusader Dobie Gray stuff a few years ago. I was just tonight laughing and thinking over in my mind how crazy it sometimes is trying to find the "right" version of something, even a minor song like this. Should be easy if the tapes have survived (like this one) but it's not always that cut and dried.

The piles of tape reels on just this one song had me scratching my head. Nothing was clearly marked "final" anywhere. The song was recorded at Gold Star in 1962 by Larry Levine and released on Fred Darian's CorDak label locally. In my line of working, digging out something like this is always interesting. It's either there (in master tape form) or it's not there, simple as that. But with Gold Star, ANYTHING is possible and usually (MAKE THAT ALWAYS) when something is marked "Master", it is far from it!

Artists (some) loved recording at Gold Star. The talent loved it because of the relaxed atmosphere and the producers loved it because of the low rates and the ability to skirt by union rules regarding overdubbing and experiementing.

So, Fred Darian (singer, producer of "The IN Crowd", etc.) did this one session at Gold Star for his new label.

It started out as music only, no vocal because Fred didn't have a clue which of his artists was going to record it. So on 5/15/62, he got his usual "early Wrecking Crew" guys together and laid down the rhythm track of "Look At Me". I have TWO REELS of that attempt in twin track stereo. I mean two FULL 10" reels, 15 ips, about one hour of music.

They picked (get this) sections from many takes to piece together the 2 minutes they wanted to use for the song and that edited part is at the end of reel two.

So, now it's time for the trombone and trumpet overdubs. That's on the 6/10/62. The twin-track "pieced" version is now bounced to another twin-track stereo machine on the left channel while the new horns are recorded live on the right channel. You guessed it, another reel & 1/2 of that! At the end of the second reel is the "pieced" version of what they thought were the best parts of all.

After lunch they came back and Fred decided that the track needed some punching up so they brought back the great drummer Jesse Sailes (Chris Montez' "Let's Dance" and a million other wonderful hits) to overdub some drum wacks.

So, again, they bounced the rhythm and the horns to a new tape while overdubbing Jesse's drums on the second channel. A full reel of that with the final version take 10. No edits this time.

Confused? Wait. Now it's time for the vocal attempts. Dobie Gray is going to do the lead vocal and on 6-11-62, he is brought in to Gold Star to do it. They take the twin track bounce down, and redub AGAIN to the left channel of a NEW twin-track stereo tape while Dobie sings his lead on the right channel. Two more 10" reels of this with the final version being a pieced version of 5 different takes.

Now, the next day, the background singers come in. Another three reels of them recording their "answer" voices to Dobie, in another bounce, this time keeping the "stereo" intact by recording on the same channel as Dobie and keeping all the music on the left. Larry Levine didn't do this for "stereo" playback, he did it so he could control the vocals in the final mix.

So, they edited together what they felt were the best segments of the girls attempts and that was that for a little while. A week later, Larry mixed the thing to mono.

First he did a regular mono mix from the final pieced twin-track. All those mixing attempts are on another FULL 10" reel, with the last marked as best try. The day after, he dubbed THAT best try on to another tape with a different EQ, boosting the bass, etc. There is a full reel of THAT as well, with different EQ patterns, etc. One was picked (the middle one).

That was the final single version that was cut for CorDak. The single sold some but not much. It later (1965) ended up on the Dobie Gray "In Crowd" LP on Crusader with yet another dub from the EQ dub of the mono master of the twin track, this time adding some more top end (that it didn't need).

All that for just this one song. All of those crazy (and aurally degrading) tape to tape bounce downs, something no major studio would have ever done. I have 15 more Dobie Gray songs with the same amount (or more) of backup reels. It's crazy. However, since they had the good sense to save the twin-track stereo version of this song (which sounds wonderful, much better than what was used to cut the 45 or the LP), one day hopefully, you can hear it.

So, Gold Star was the King Studio of doing this kind off spontaneous production and that's one of the reasons why a producer like Phil Spector liked the place (and the engineering legends Larry Levine, Stan Ross, Dave Gold, etc. that made it all happen.) The engineers were willing to do all kinds of stuff to get what the producer wanted, didn't have to be live all in one take, it could be done in stages with no union rep breathing down their necks. Perfect for Phil's Wall Of Sound.

This is also why some (most) of the Spector stuff sounds so ragged, tone-wise. So many bounces, etc. When Fred Darian and Dobie did "I'm In With The In Crowd" (original title) at Gold Star in 1964 they pretty much did the same thing again, production wise except this time there was a three-track machine in there (thanks to Phil Spector) to help it along a bit. But the song didn't start out on the three-track, it was done as a mono backing track without any lyrics or a clue in the world as to what it would become or how much of a hit it would be. So even more of a crazy creation, this time taking almost 3 months.

So this is LOOK AT ME. Counting all the tapes and sessions used to record this record, there must be combined about 30 edits in this 2 minute song! I can still hear each one of them go by. My curse...

Heart of Gold, bosto, Paul R and 23 others like this.
  2. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Seven reels for one song? Jeez.
    And certain songs you can't find one reel.

I find early production methods fascinating.
    Thanks for that post.

Jarleboy likes this.
  3. Steve Hoffman

12 full reels, dude!

4. Brian DeWitt

Brian DeWitt Senior Member

What a great song! Never heard it before. I can't hear the edits though.

5. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

When you can't hear the edits, who ever did the editing did a flawless job.

6. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

So Steve....do you end up working with the high-generation "Master" version, or do you re-create the song from scratch (using all the low-generation pieces)??

7. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

You're not only my favorite mastering engineer, you also have some fascinating stories. This one is mind-boggling to say the least. I really like that you frequently venture outside of the 'classic rock' realm to bring us a wide range of great-sounding music. There's no Dobie Gray in my collection at the moment but I hope that changes. Thanks for sharing, I can't wait to hear the results!

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  8. Vocalpoint

Vocalpoint Forum Resident

Great read. Thanks Steve!

VP

9. Steve Hoffman

Well, I don't want to lose the feel of the original by doing some digital bullcrap recreation (basically my own remix) so I'll use the twin track "final". It was mixed by Larry and has his style all over it. Larry was a personal friend of mine and I miss him all the time...

10. CaptainOzone

CaptainOzone On Air Cowbell

I have a real clean 45 of this and always thought it sounded great. Never would've imagined there were so many ODs, etc. They really knew what they were doing!

11. Steve Hoffman

Sure you can, on each phrase, the beat goes a little "off" whenever there is an edit piece, usually before the horns go "ehh ehh".. Try again. :^)

12. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, it's a neat song. Gold Star Studio magic at budget rates!

13. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Fascinating stuff Steve, it sounds like you need the detective skills of Sherlock Holmes in order to track some of these tapes and what they did down.

bluemooze likes this.
  14. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

the grateful dead covered this in early 66

15. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Great story regarding this song by Dobie, which I had never heard until this morning!

I so miss the stories of your Tuesday lunches with Larry and I find it so sad, that when I visit L.A., that I can't visit (or at least see the building), where "GOLD STAR" used to be! Hollywood is so good at building greatness, only to tear it all down as if it never happened. At least I've still got my classic A&M Studios/Chaplin and the infamous CAPITOL tower, but if only I could find a connection to get me into the facilities, to see firsthand, where all of the greatness happened! :sigh:

16. violarules

violarules Senior Member

30 edits and that long to produce a song that amounts to what is a very basic chord progression and arrangement? I can see 30 edits for Good Vibrations, but that? It makes it sound like they (the writers/producers) didn't know s*** about music if they couldn't slap that arrangement and track out in ten minutes. I wonder what the musicians thought....

They probably thought, oh, well, we're on the clock... let's see how long it takes this schmuck to figure out how to do a I/V/I/V/IV progression.... :D

17. Chris C

Steve, did the Dobie Gray project that you were working on all those years ago, ever get released?

18. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

PLEASE do "Out on the Floor"
    number 1 Northern Soul classic, alway sounds terrible

19. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

"THE IN CROWD" in stereo from tape for the first time is enough for me to want this. Everything else is just gravy. Really wish this could be released.

DOBIE GRAY
    HITS ~ FROM THE ORIGINAL STEREO MASTER TAPES
    (1962 – 1966)
    First Compact Disc Release of Newly Discovered Session Reels

NOT FINAL ORDER:

1. The Tear Stereo
    2. Walkin’ and Whistlin’ Mono Recording
    3. Sally Walker Mono Recording
    4. My Shoes Keep Walking Back to You Stereo
    5. Look At Me Stereo
    6. Funky, Funky Feelin' Stereo
    7. Inka Dinka Do Mono Recording
    8. Be A Man Stereo
    9. That's How You Treat a Cheater Stereo
    10. Blue Ribbons Stereo
    11. The "In" Crowd Stereo
    12. Feeing in My Heart Stereo
    13. Walk With Love Stereo
    14. See You at The "Go-Go" Stereo
    15. Mr. Engineer Stereo
    16. In Hollywood Stereo
    17. Broken In Two Stereo
    18. Monkey Jerk Stereo
    19. Out On The Floor Mono
    20. The “In” Crowd “Hit” Mono Mix

Original CorDak and Charger recordings!
    Including the complete album
    DOBIE GRAY SINGS FOR “IN” CROWDERS THAT GO “GO-GO” Charger-2002

Produced by: Fred Darian

Recorded at Gold Star Recording Studios
    Recording Engineer: Larry Levine, except as noted in CD booklet

Compiled by Fred Darian

All vacuum tube mastering system

Special Thanks to Dobie Gray

Jarleboy and oxenholme like this.
  20. dhoffa85

dhoffa85 Well-Known Member

wow I heard it! but never would have if you didn't point it out

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  21. Chris C

So, this never did get released then, that's too bad!

22. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

t
    Steve, slightly off-topic but you cracked the door just enough for me to barge in--do you know if there is an existing tape trail like this for the Phil Spector material? I'm picturing a room somewhere piled to the ceiling with tape boxes... Also, anything like that at all for the Mamas & Papas--or is it all gone forever...? I hear stories but never get a clear picture.

23. Steve Hoffman

No idea about what still survives on the Spector stuff. Bill Inglot would know. Mamas & Papas, nothing.

The reason the Dobie Gray stuff survived like that is because it was stored at Gold Star all of these years as a personal favor to Fred Darian. When the studio closed, Dave Gold called Fred and told him to come get it all and he did. When Dave called others (a few famous people) and requested they pick up their tapes they said they couldn't care less, if you can believe it.

24. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

Ugh, unfortunately I can believe it. Just as I sort-of pieced it together. The loss of this stuff--and not just for music reasons, but historical as well--is always a punch in the stomach. What I wouldn't give to go back in time... Oh well, I have my persistent fantasy that some unknown someone grabbed it all up and hid it somewhere and someday the world will be shocked, shocked...

Jarleboy and McLover like this.
  25. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I would have heard the edits even if Steve had not said anything. The beats were sometimes off, the volume dropped at certain points, the vocal phrasing was a bit unnatural, and there is one bad edit. I can tell you where, but there are so many people accessing the clip right now the video is conking out.

goodiesguy and Steve Hoffman like this.