Doctor Sleep (The Shining Sequel Film) - November 8th, 2019

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by neo123, Jun 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

just watched it, thought it was a pretty good movie, and both Ewan McGregor and Rebecca Ferguson were good in it

2. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Don't think Twice it's alright

Been wanting to watch this I need to check it out.

3. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Don't think Twice it's alright

Hmmm looks good I think... I want to watch it I Like the Shinning it's been a few years since I saw it. I will check this out.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  4. I watched the movie and liked it. I haven't read the book yet, though I probably should.

mynameistaken likes this.
  5. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

I love this movie! I know it's probably taboo to say, but I prefer it to "The Shining" by a wide margin.

mynameistaken likes this.
  6. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

This movie was far better than it had any right to be. Rebecca Ferguson was a great villain. Extremely well done and imaginative.

7. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I liked it very much. One of those movies, which if I run into it on HBO at any point I end up watching it until the end.

JohnK

Chrome_Head and tonyc like this.
  8. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I read the book when it was published and watched the movie last night. Like most movies it deviates from the book but was still enjoyable. Rebecca Ferguson is easy on the eyes and was good. Ewan McGregor was good as the grown Doc. I thought that the actors who were cast to play the characters that were in the shining were good too.

JKCanuck likes this.
  9. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

I finally watched this on HBO Max. I thought it was pretty good! In a lot of ways I liked it better than the book. The book to me felt very apart from The Shining whereas the movie brought me much more back into that world than I expected since when I read the book I felt the plot was just too far removed. So that was nice. I actually quite enjoyed the book - I liked a lot of aspects of it - the AA, etc. - and was happy the film kept much of that intact - and I JUST realized I thought HBO only had the director’s cut and I thought I watched that, but they actually have both and I watched the theatrical - so now I need to watch director’s which I expect I will like even more - but at the end of the day I felt the book itself was just under top-level King, like middle of the pack, like all good but not totally gripping.

I agree with most in that a lot the Hotel scenes were the weak part of the film. I like the idea that they went to the hotel and that aspect of the film following the original film, but a lot of it felt like walking through a fun house and checking the boxes - boring. Not that I would have removed much of it - the stairs was cool, the maze, the hotel room door, the Torrance’s bathroom and bathroom window - pretty much all of it ha - I guess maybe it just needed a bit more of something new too to differentiate it and have it stand on its own (but nothing too hokey! It’s a tough balance that maybe they got right by not going too far). The Lloyd/Jack Torrance scene was very cool though - story-wise, very good.

so yeah, I’m already looking forward to watching the directors cut.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  10. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

30 minutes longer! You'll dig it.

AndrewK likes this.
  11. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

I watched the director's cut...

The hat lady is great, but the movie?

Very disappointing, and really accentuates how brilliant the original is, and how hard it is to make a truly great horror flick.

GreggF likes this.
  12. GreggF

GreggF Forum Resident

I watched it for the second time last night and realized it was mainly a vampire movie that replaced blood with 'steam'.
    The scenes referencing The Shining were annoying as it was clear these were not the same people, though their acting was good.
    What Kubrick did with this material digs way deeper into the psyche than anything Doctor Sleep presented.
    Never mess with a classic.

Shoes1916 likes this.
  13. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I watched it earlier this year and I found the whole thing completely unnecessary as a story (though I'm sure it seemed necessary from a financial standpoint for all involved).

Shoes1916 likes this.
  14. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I enjoyed the book, even if the antagonists were underwhelming.

I rented the film upon release (theatrical version) and surprisingly didn't like it.

Later on down the road Amazon was selling the blu-ray for $3.99, so I figured what the hell and bought it. This time I watched the Director's Cut and found I like the film better the second time around, but it was still so-so overall. I still didn't quite like the ending, but Stephen King's ending wasn't that much better, so what can you do?

Shoes1916 likes this.
  15. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

The hat lady is hot! I'll volunteer my steam.

vegafleet, GreggF and Shoes1916 like this.
  16. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

One of the best movies I've seen in the last ten years.

17. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I agree with all the positive reviews. I saw it once in the theaters and a second time on HBO Max. I still need to see the Director's Cut.

yesstiles likes this.
  18. skinnyev

skinnyev Forum Resident

I tried to watch this a few times and just wasn’t feeling it, I started it again and watched it straight through, really enjoyed it. I agree with the criticism of the hotel part and the ending, but I thought that the movie was really well done and it was a lot better than I expected. I will search out this extended version in the future. The hat lady and her crew needs a better back story, I’m not sure if the book goes into that, but the concept was interesting considering it’s a sequel to one of the most famous horror films of all time. Overall, a decent movie and I’m glad I watched it.

unclefred likes this.
  19. AngusStanley

AngusStanley Forum Resident

Expected it to be crap but it was really good. Deserved a better box office. Female lead was really good.

serj likes this.
  20. Speedmaster

Speedmaster We’re all walking through this darkness on our own

I always thought the original by Kubrick was The Most Boring Movie Ever Made. So wasn’t in a rush to see the sequel. It was ok, Mike Flanagan is a very good director and did the best he could.

i guess the material just isn’t my cup of tea.

21. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Is there a newer/separate Blu-ray for the director's cut, or does the first release contain both cuts?

22. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I saw the Director's Cut. It was fine but I did not feel it was definitive. An instance where the original version gets the job done.

Still, I'm glad I watched both and I would call Doctor Sleep my favorite movie in years.

23. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Watched the director's cut last night... never saw the theatrical version, but after reading about which scenes were restored for the DC, it's hard to imagine the movie feeling coherent without them... many seemed like essential pieces of character development and story building.

yesstiles likes this.
  24. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

Just rented it on Prime. It was an okay use of $3.99. The way they used the hotel was cool, but I disagree with throwing in the emergency vehicles so quickly. I thought the place was stupendously remote? Also, enough with the lady in the tub. The original scene must have scared Mike Flanagan out of his wits.

25. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

i liked it. It even brought a small tear to my eye at the end. p1robably because my MIL just died yesterday. Even though I didn't care for her. But, I agree with you that the back story of the True Knot should have had a prominent place in the film. In fact, the whole reference to the Shining could have been nixed without hurting the story. The True Knot was very much a re-telling of the vampire crew in Near Dark, 1987. Danny could have been any psychic character with a bad childhood trying to run away from himself.
    Danny could have acquired the connection with the psychic black girl perhaps from his work with the dying. Maybe something about the cat, or possibly the Doctor and the watch. That was a hole in the story I thought. The Doctor character had a presence and I expected there to be more forthcoming in the story from him. Anything really, there needn't be anything about the Shining involved in the movie. The story of the True Knot and their takedown by the new kids on the block could have made a good film.

skinnyev likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.