Doctor Strange In the Multiverse of Madness - May 6 - 2022

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Dec 22, 2021.

1. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Engelbert Humperdinck wrote the first record album I ever owned, when I was a wee baby (the "real" Engelbert Humperdinck).
    [​IMG]
    Not the LP, either...real, shellac-y 78's!

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Damn near rave reviews out there for Dr. Strange:

‘Doctor Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness’ Review: Benedict Cumberbatch Back – Deadline

'Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness': Both Fun and Exhausting - Variety

‘Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness’ Review – The Hollywood Reporter

Funniest line in the third review: "...the film is enough fun to make one wish for a portal to a variant universe in which Marvel movies spent more time exploiting their own strengths and less time trying to make you want more Marvel movies."

3. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Vidiot and Michael like this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

60-90 days later it will be on Disney+ unless it tanks. : )

5. Michael

6. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

You agree with their review or you agree that the Wash Post is clueless when it comes to moves?

Michael likes this.
  7. Michael

: )

jojopuppyfish likes this.
  8. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

This isn't going to be a crowd pleaser. It is going to open huge , so they will be fine with the $$s.

9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

After the Eternals, how could it be anywhere but uphill. Boy that was One of the worst movies in my life that I sat all the way through. Lol. I just remembered it was on board an airplane. Lol

alexpop and MrJerry1876 like this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Deuce66 and Michael like this.
  11. Michael

12. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Black Widow came out July 9th on Disney+ with (paid) Premium Access, and was available to all Disney+ subscribers on October 6: 89 days.

Shang-Chi came out in theaters Sept 3 and was on Disney+ for all subscribers November 12th: 70 days

Eternals was in theatres Nov 5 and on Disney+ for all subscribers on January 12th: 60 days

The last Spider-Man doesn't count because it's tied up with Sony and who knows where the hell it'll end up on streaming, if it does at all; certainly the other two MCU Spidey flicks are hard to find.

So past precedent for MCU Phase Four films says yeah, 60-90 days depending on how the box office does.

Deuce66 and Michael like this.
  13. Michael

interesting...thanks.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  14. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

I'm a DirecTV subscriber, and we're getting an HBO/Cinemax FREEVIEW for like 5 days and they are already showing The Batman (2022). :shrug:

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Warner Bros. (and their new owners, Discovery) has different rules than Disney/Marvel.

16. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

It sits currently at 80% on RT (149 critic reviews). Sounds like a solid enough MCU entry but not on the top shelf.

Some of the negative comments.

"There may be a universe in which I feel the barest thread of emotional connection to even one thing that happens during the 126 minutes of loud, smeary nonsense that is Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. But I doubt it". Globe & Mail

"A film that constantly pushes back against its own possibilities ... both WandaVision and Loki took more creative risks. Significantly". - RogerEbert . com

"Expecting filmgoers’ appreciation of character motivation to be based on prerequisite media that they haven’t consumed fully — or dutifully — enough doesn’t just feel bad. It feels unfair". Washington Post

"If you enjoy watching a handful of randomly selected branded characters wisecrack, squabble and mope while pretending to fly around and shoot fireballs at the virtual scenery, here comes another two hours of that". Daily Telegraph (UK)

"As a larger piece in the ever-expanding Marvel Cinematic Universe, the Multiverse of Madness starts to show the cracks in trying to continually attempt to build and one-up what came before". Collider

"A useful rule of thumb in watching “Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness” is that if Cumberbatch (or Wong) isn’t in a scene, go for popcorn... the plot will be almost impossible to follow. But that’s probably going to be the case anyway". The Boston Globe

alexpop and Vidiot like this.
  17. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

I quickly scanned reviews and the prevailing theme seemed to center around the conformity needed to fit into the larger MCU picture as really hampering these movies now (while still generally lauding Raimi’s efforts).

18. That’s the problem when a series establishes some sort of continuity. You see it on a smaller scale with Star Trek.

I think you mean downhill.

19. Because of the convoluted plot?

20. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

yes, I've read comic books my entire life, and 1/2 the time , I had no idea what was going on. They took what DC would explain in 3 panels, in the annual JLA/JSA team-ups, and made a 2 hour film , trying to explain the same idea of what those 3 panels were , and failing

Vidiot likes this.
  21. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Anyone seeing this tonight?

22. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Just left the theater. Amazing and very violent. Will write more once I'm home.

Daniel Plainview and BeatleJWOL like this.
  23. MrJerry1876

MrJerry1876 Short Distance Voyager

I'm seeing it tomorrow night, and I'll post my thoughts when I get back.
    I really liked the first Strange movie, and the character as a whole, so I hope this does both justice!

24. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Well, guess it's my turn to dip from this thread for a few days. Have fun y'all! :D

25. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Oh crap. Guess I shouldn't take the kids!