Doctor Strange In the Multiverse of Madness - May 6 - 2022

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Dec 22, 2021.

1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There's a lot of spoilers in this discussion with screenwriter Michael Waldron, but it's worth reading if you want the inside scoop on the Dr. Strange film...

'Doctor Strange 2' Writer on Wanda, Mr. Fantastic, 'Star Wars' Movie - Variety

I had forgotten about Loki, which Waldron also wrote for. Definitely a lot of multiverse involved with that show.

Huge so far: a whopping $479 million worldwide, which is not bad for a week...

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - Box Office Mojo

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Last edited: May 11, 2022
  3. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

It's Marvel they pretty much own the box office now along with a few other ip's. It's going to make big numbers no matter what, the studios tend to co-operate in terms of keeping their big properties apart. That's my take on it.

SandAndGlass and alexpop like this.
  4. alexpop

Twenty somethings seem to be main audience.
    Think computer game, maybe that was my problem… as in, it sucked. :)

Deuce66 likes this.
  5. Deuce66

I haven't seen it, the first one was ok, I'm sure I'll check it out eventually. There aren't many Marvel properties that I'm still interested in, Guardians is one the animated Spider-Man is another that's about it.

alexpop likes this.
  6. alexpop

Animated ? Thought that’s the best one since Sam Rami. GOTG first excellent, second not as good .. third next year, got my hopes for that one.

7. Deuce66

I prefer Into the Spider-Verse over any of the Holland ones. My hopes are up for GOTG, rekindle the magic?

alexpop likes this.
  8. alexpop

Hopefully another one will come out part 2.
    English actor Tom Holland I like him, but not as Spider Man ( more spider boy).

9. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

There is another animated Spider-Verse on the way, not sure of release date.

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

BeatleJWOL and Simon A like this.
  11. BeatleJWOL

MrJerry1876 likes this.
  12. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

Yes, it was very peculiar to me they did two big narrative projects with same basic point/plot arc: Wanda driven mad by grief does bad thing, in end tries to repent and do right thing. And the second one allegedly a Dr Strange movie. I didn't get it. I admired the trailer-makers disguising true nature of film which from appearance and early gossip chatter I assumed would be "Strange and Wanda team up to fight Nightmare across the multiverse." Didn't expect them to just remake theme and plot of WANDAVISION on larger scale and cram Strange into it.

zoostation and MrJerry1876 like this.
  13. Brian Doherty

At this point the POST credit scenes are just increasingly mean jokes aimed at the people dumb enough to wait for them. Marvel, you CREATED the expectation for these things and you are now running out of even "funny" ways to mock our expectations. Just kill them at this point.

alexpop likes this.
  14. MrJerry1876

MrJerry1876 Short Distance Voyager

I did get a kick out of this one though. They guy's as happy as me for it to be finished!

Brian Doherty likes this.
  15. Brian Doherty

if anyone reading this who is fan of the movies but not a comic book head, I'm wondering how interestingly the Illuminati stuff hit. Felt to me like would only make any emotional or intellectual sense to comic fans, particularly the "characters not previously part of MCU" stuff.

16. BeatleJWOL

The mid-credits scene advances the plot or hints at something that's coming, and the post-credits scene is more than likely to be just something funny or not super relevant. It's been that way for quite a while. I'm going to stick around anyway in these cases just to let other people wander off so I'm not walking out in a crowd, particularly now, so I'm for it.

I think it's safe to say for those that don't want to wait around that once the long credits start, you're free to bail without missing much, and that's fine.

I was excited for the possibilities, and I was not disappointed. But I also take in breakdown and analysis videos in between projects so I'm probably somewhere in between just a movie fan and somebody who's knee-deep in the comics.

Having Professor X and a Fantastic Four member in there was definitely a bone thrown for some of those that have enjoyed the Fox!Marvel films(and/or waiting for somebody to do the Fantastic Four "right" for a change); it also worked out nicely that they're Illuminati members in the comics.

davenav and MrJerry1876 like this.
  17. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Which characters were those? All of the members of the Illuminati were in other movies or TV shows.

18. Brian Doherty

Neither Mr Fantastic nor Black Bolt has appeared in any MCU films before. But if most people had seen the Inhumans show or the FF outside MCU movies, granted. I assumed there were people who were just MCU (the interconnected film saga) heads.

19. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Professor X wasn’t in the MCU before either but he was featured in at least 8 big budget films over the last 20 years and Richards has been in 3. Out of them all, Black Bolt is the only one that had a direct connection to the MCU through the INHUMANS series, as bad as it was.

20. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

At least his episode was good.

21. Brian Doherty

Good point. the midcred scene has obviously supplanted the original postcred scene for "teasing interesting future possibilites" and I should just let that sink in to my skull and postcred is officially "silly comic tag mostly designed to make you question why you bothered to wait for it." I should know that by now, but it still makes me groan each time they "get" me.

22. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

The second post credit scene was great to me as they confirmed Dr. Strange has a mean streak and probably doesn't care too much about other universe's people. Three weeks is excessive punishment for that and I wondered at the time if he was just joking about the three weeks. Also double meaning "Fiinally!" was worth it alone. And for fan service I only recognized Bruce by that second scene.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  23. BeatleJWOL

How about just making you smile? :laugh:

davenav likes this.
  24. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Saw it this evening. I found it too hurried from the word go and just too cluttered (yes, I know, it's about multiverses). The girl "America" character is uninteresting. It's one big mush of fireball and lash throwing, sparky shields/portals, backdrops, smoke and mirrors. I was glad when it was all over after the usual "you can do this...aaaaarrrrghhh!!!!" finale.
    I think that after the next Thor movie I'll be done with Marvel movies unless they can come up with a good F4 epic.

smilin ed likes this.
  25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I'm so out of the business, didn't even know Rami directed!!!! I will see it. He's great.