Doctor Who 2018 S11*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by fitzysbuna, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

I suspect the other Doctor is from an alternate universe.
    As to why the scanners said they're the same Timelord/lady, well maybe a Timelord's doubles in parallel universes share the same DNA? (TNA??).
    That opens the door to various "multiverse Doctors" outside the Doctor timeline we know, I guess...

neo123 and fitzysbuna like this.
  2. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

This season is much better than last year’s. The element of fun is now present, and it’s a big difference for me.

Haven’t seen the latest, so thanks for the hidden spoilers above!!

fitzysbuna likes this.
  3. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

It's great to see a season arc developing, especially after a season of isolated episodes like last year.

All the better if there's some callbacks for classic bits of Doctor Who too. It's fan-satisfying, without being slavishly fan-service. A fine line to tread, but they're doing it well so far.

davenav likes this.
  4. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

If 'Ruth' is indeed a pre-Hartnell incarnation, then that throws up a lot of questions (Was she the only pre-Hartnell Doctor? How many others? Was there a full regeneration cycle before Hartnell? Did the Doctor get amnesia when he regenerated into Hartnell? I guess that could explain forgetting regenerations before that.... and Hartnell's Doctor being rather absent-minded at times...)
    Gees.. the mind just boggles!

Skyline likes this.
  5. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

A rather obvious problem with her being a pre-Hartnell incarnation is that the Tardis wouldn't be a police call box.

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  6. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

Yes - that is problematic, and I don't think he Police Box appearance of the Tardis can be retconned easily to before Hartnell's Doctor.

One way around that is if 'Ruth Doctor' is between Troughton & Pertwee. Fans have long speculated that there was something between The War Games & Spearhead from Space - maybe the Timelords forced a regeneration into Ruth to do some work for them, then when job is done wipe the Doctor's memory of it, regenerate to 3rd Doctor and begin the Earth exile?

That could work...

Dubmart likes this.
  7. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I’m not going to spend a lot of time trying to shoehorn this episode’s revelations into established continuity. It’s a 60 year old TV show and we already know the Doctor has had adventures we didn’t see on screen.

Best episode in a long while. I’ve been disappointed with the last four seasons and the show is finally looking interesting again.

beccabear67 and Flippikat like this.
  8. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I was thinking last season was better but I just didn't like the Tesla ep enough, and the others even less as they seemed more like re-runs with a new moral tacked on, until this one with the Rhino aliens and the mystery of the other Doctor, which means I'll keep watching. Nowt else on usually any road.

9. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Liked this week's episode. Quite pacey and I enjoyed that the travelling companions were trusted to be sent off alone on various tasks.
    Was still a tad preachy, but it was an important message to share so the mallet-on-the head approach was forgivable.

Skyline likes this.
  10. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

So, now we know where Mary Shelley got the inspiration for Frankenstein. ;)

11. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Very disappointed in the companions not wanting to take a risk in the sure knowledge of preventing billions of deaths and pretty sure that the premature death of Shelley would have had no impact on them anyway, as for the Doctor, what is she playing at.:shake: Other than that I quite liked it.

12. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

The Doctor seems to have created the illusion of a team and needed to shatter that tonight. They’re quite loyal, that’s for sure.

13. Andy Smith

Bradley Walsh quits Doctor Who after filming this year's Christmas special

One I'll miss, one I really won't. Glad the lady cop is staying. Easily the most interesting companion of Jodie's fam. Plenty of scope with her. I can understand Bradders stepping down due to his age and the stress of filming the program. It is a very physical show. The Ryan character I never warmed to.

Michael Rose, misterbozz and Skyline like this.
  14. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

This season has restored my interest in the show after an extremely lackluster first season for Jodie. The new direction/mythos that they’ll be taking going forward is at least interesting, even if divisive among long time Whovians. I look forward to seeing where they go with this. :)

Skyline and misterbozz like this.
  15. Andy Smith

16. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Chris DeVoe and Andy Smith like this.
  17. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I just see a writing staff trying to write their way out of what they wrote themselves into. Or to be kind..retconning. Heavy on the "conning".

Michael Rose likes this.
  18. Andy Smith

Blimpboy likes this.
  19. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Missed this story until just now...although I liked all the companions to varying degrees, I thought having three was a bit much. I agree though, Yaz has the most potential of the three. I think the Doctor and Yaz will make for a better show.

Andy Smith likes this.
  20. Andy Smith

I think decks are being cleared for a fresh influx. Well, maybe one more.

eddiel likes this.
  21. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I had the same thought after the finale. Perhaps they’ll have one last go ‘round at Christmas and then go their separate ways for 13’s final season. Similar to Bill.

Andy Smith likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.