Doctor Who Episodes - Official News from The BBC*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by TheLazenby, Jun 18, 2013.

1. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Aw… the low production values are a big part of the charm. It's the ideas that count, not the dollars spent!!!

As to the OP -- I'm still holding my breath -- the BBC issued the least convincing denial I've ever heard about all this today.

2. davenav

Pertwee and Troughton are just as good, IMO.

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Oh, I can't watch 'em because they look so horribly cheap and crappy. But like I say, the 2000's-era Dr. Who's are not too bad.

4. Cousin It

Cousin It Senior Member

Be still my beating heart:D

apileocole likes this.
  5. zeeshanaayan07

zeeshanaayan07 New Member

I am top fan of the Baker episodes anyone has like me

6. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

davenav, was that on the web? If so could you kindly share the link? No matter how I keep telling myself how certain it is that this is all a bad prank, it seems I want it to be true to the point I'm feeling compelled to follow this...

Two I'd like most to see I think are the Hartnell Marco Polo serial (it'd be great having Who's 1st season intact) and the rest of the Troughton Abominable Snowman serial. Not the ones most might pick, but there we are. Do you have any you'd most like to turn up?

7. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

I suppose this has dried up now. Despite everything looking bright before, everyone seems adamant now that this was a hoax.

8. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

9. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

I would love this if it were true. I would buy complete series sets based upon each doctor.

10. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

I'm hearing more and more rumblings from people I know who have marginal connections that this is totally false.

11. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Offically dead untill someone shows me an epsiode. Philip Morris the man who has searched Africa and the man who shipped the 3 ton container:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/06...s-they-are-not-missing-but-destroyed-the-end/

12. apileocole

Thanks. I'll change the title to reflect it's a rumor. They remain an object lesson about impersonal ownership. Alas...

13. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

People are a bit incensed at Philip's rather brunt and angry dismissal - not quite the attitude of a guy who supposedly spent long periods of his life hunting for episodes.

Some individuals 'in the know' still insist that we'll be seeing episodes before the end of the year, though; one ugly rumbling keeps popping up that Anneke Wills recorded a commentary for Power Of The Daleks and told someone at a convention it was found.

14. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

I think this is being held off until the day of the 50th Anniversary !

15. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Phillip should go have a cigarette and relax. This whole thing had the wiff of a hoax. Even with Mr. Morris it all seemed a bit smoke and mirrors........ :)

GroovinGarrett and deadbirdie like this.
  16. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

I don't blame him for being pissed someone saw a shipment listed on a web site and ranted about "three tons of evidence" then claimed everyone was lying about it. Ian Levine should be embarrassed.

17. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Nice :D

18. davenav

http://gallifreybase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172580

19. apileocole

20. apileocole

It seems that rumors of the recovery of some of the 106 long-lost 1960s episodes of Doctor Who continue to crop up in seemingly myriad form. The latest parade down the streets of Chattytown comes courtesy an article in a gossip rag, a branch of the dubious Daily Mirror, with this (unverified and inaccuracy riddled) article:
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/106-doctor-who-episodes-uncovered-2343474
    If venturing there, you're warned to raise celeb garbage shields.

If any still survive, these lost episodes would be telerecordings on 16mm film, but the article refers to tapes and 16in film, yet. Yeah, 16in film, there's a new one on us. However, it is good to see interest in the recovery of lost film/tv.

Curiously, a couple of lost vintage TV episodes (for a BBC astronomy educational program The Sky at Night, hosted by the late great Sir Patrick Moore) have been recovered recently. I say "curiously" for a number of reasons:
    - It seems they were not known to have been telerecorded in the first place!
    - One is said to be the episode Sir Patrick most regretted having lost, as it was a high point in the series and featured his friend, Arthur C. Clarke.
    - It was recovered in time for the ailing Sir Patrick to see it.
    - The head of the recovery also happens to be a (more recent) producer for The Sky at Night.
    - The gentleman who made the recovery said it was purchased although the BBC reportedly won't pay for recovery of its own programs.
    - They were recovered from somewhere in Africa, of all places.
    The BBC has made the vintage The Sky at Night episode with Sir Patrick and Arthur C. Clarke available free online at their site: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00m72mf

One might wonder if anything else of note might have recently made its way back from a decades-long journey to Africa. Is there a pebble of truth under the mountain of rumors? Hm...

21. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

the simple answer is no and the constant rumor mongering is annoying.

22. apileocole

Ok I'll bite. Who are the rumor mongerors of notable constancy and how do they annoy you?

Personally I'm used to hearing rumors about lost stuff, doesn't bother me.*

* = it's par for the course around my place and often results in a find, but only after the lost item is no longer being sought or wanted.

zobalob and Mr Bass like this.
  23. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

24. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

I have been very optimistic that there were more missing episodes out there but after some internet research myself it seems there is no 100 missing episodes found. It could be an elaborate hoax designed to generate interest in the impending 50th anniversary ?
    There may be a handful of 'found episodes' but the 100 episodes finding seems more and more far fetched.
    It would be very exciting if the Dalek stories were found as they seemed to put more energy into those stories.

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I keep hoping they'll find some Dr. Who episodes that are actually good! :hide:

(And before anybody jumps on me, there's a couple of thousand American children's shows from the 1950s and 1960s that are horrible, too.)

goodiesguy and showtaper like this.