Doctor Who Episodes - Official News from The BBC*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by TheLazenby, Jun 18, 2013.

1. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

Some good news potentially arising on the replacement disc front. Some people like myself who contacted the BBC about the issues have started to receive responses. Essentialy what they say is that the person responding has been made aware of the faults, has forwarded it and has heard rumblings that the issues are being fixed and that replacement discs are already being prepared.

Not exactly conformation or anything but it's a nice start!

2. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

The errors are pretty minor in the grand scheme. The Restoration Team is quite thorough overall and any suggestions that there wasn't quality control simply is not the case. It appears the audio problem occurred somewhere after the restoration occurred but before the discs were pressed... in other words, after it left the hands of those who did the restoration. The subtitles issue is only present on the Region 1 disc, with the Region 2 disc being fine. There was an issue with the branching that caused the Region 1 subtitles to temporarily stop. One spelling error, while unfortunate, is hardly enough to get too fussed over.

The audio issue is the problem most in need of a replacement disc. While I suspect a high percentage of people won't even notice the phase issue with the audio (or won't be too bothered by it), it will be an irritation to some (myself included).

It should also be remembered that errors periodically occurred in the DVD range as well, some of which resulted in replacement discs being issued. If errors can creep into a DVD for a single story, it can even more easily creep into a box set for five stories.

Shawn likes this.
  3. Would those be the scenes in the pilot, Hot Snow?

4. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Do you have information on contact at BBC media for a getting on the list for replacement/exchange program?

Thank you for posting further on it.

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

No clue. We did The Avengers kinescopes back in 1989-1990, and that was a long time ago.

longdist01 likes this.
  6. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

They haven't announced a replacement program for faulty discs yet. They are likely still working out the solution and what it will take to correct the issue(s). It may be a good month or two before we know more. In the meantime, relax and enjoy the rest of the box set!

I will post replacement disc information here if I learn anything.

MaestroDavros and longdist01 like this.
  7. Thrillsville

Thrillsville Forum Resident

longdist01 likes this.
  8. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Those in the UK who have contacted the BBC about the problems are now receiving the below e-mail. The contact e-mail was [email protected] for those who received a response. There hasn't been word yet on how discs sold in the USA will be handled. Disc 3 is the disc with the audio problem. Disc 5 had a few minor errors with some misplaced frames and a couple minor errors in the closing credits. If Disc 5 is replaced in the USA, presumably they will also correct the subtitles problem.

Thank you for contacting BBC DVD Support.

We will be offering replacements for the errors on Disc 3 (The Sontaran Experiment) and Disc 5 (Revenge of the Cybermen) in the Doctor Who The Collection Season 12 Blu-ray release.

In order to obtain a replacement, please email proof of purchase to this DVD Support line, in the form of a receipt from the retailer. If you do not have a receipt from the retailer, then please email a picture of the product with your full name and postal address in view.

The estimated time frame for the replacement to be available is 4-5 weeks.
    Please allow some time for the replacement disc to reach you.

Kind regards
    BBC DVD Support

Meng, longdist01 and MaestroDavros like this.
  9. MaestroDavros

I don't know how the US version is doing sales-wise, but by all accounts the UK version is flying off the shelves over there. Some retailers were sold out even before their preorder period was up. This is very good news for the range's future, at least in R2.

longdist01 likes this.
  10. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Trashman and MaestroDavros,

Thank so much for the updates on U.K. responses from BBC customer service. Hopefully more of the same will be forthcoming from BBC North American sales on a replacement programs for Disc 3/and 5!

MaestroDavros likes this.
  11. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

It now sounds as though all buyers of the Doctor Who - The Collection box set (whether the US or UK version) should contact this e-mail address for replacement discs: [email protected]

In your e-mail, provide the following:

1. Your name and address.
    2. State which version of the box set you purchased (US Region 1 or UK Region 2).
    3. Provide proof that you purchased the box set, such as scan of your receipt. I think they will also accept a photo of your box set, as long as you also include something in the photo to identify you, like a piece of paper with your name and address on it.

Once you send the e-mail, you will get an automated reply within 24 hours, which you can largely ignore. Anyone who sends an e-mail to that address gets the same generic reply. If they have any questions or need additional information, they will contact you. If they don't contact you, you can assume they have your information and will ship you a copy of the replacement discs once they are ready. Those who bought the US box set may receive an e-mail which states their information has been forwarded to the company handling the US disc replacements.

Plan on waiting at least a month or two, allowing time for them to fix the errors, press new discs, and process the mailing of the replacements.

longdist01 and KevinP like this.
  12. Thrillsville

Thrillsville Forum Resident

Information for those who have Region A blu-rays:
    I emailed the above address on July 13 and promptly received the automated reply but then I received this email on July 18 -

For US Region A replacements, please email [email protected] directly

- so I resent my information to this address as well. I did not receive any further emails so I'll just wait and see.

longdist01, Shawn and Trashman like this.
  13. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

People who were e-mailing the first e-mail address were getting personal replies once their information was forwarded to the US representative. (Her name is Corin, if I remember correctly.) But perhaps they've now gotten so many e-mails, she doesn't have time to send personal replies any longer.

14. Mr Wensleydale

Mr Wensleydale Forum Resident

Looks like ‘The Wheel In Space’ is the next animated offering.

longdist01, beccabear67 and Shawn like this.
  15. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Excellent.

longdist01 likes this.
  16. I emailed a few weeks back and only received the automated reply so I think you're right.

17. Now that the range is moving in the direction of Blu-ray, it will be interesting to see if this title gets a stand-alone Blu-ray release.

longdist01 and chilinvilin like this.
  18. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

19. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Looks like Peter Davison will be the next Season Blu-Ray boxset released this Fall.

[​IMG]

davenav and MaestroDavros like this.
  20. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

I bought all the dvd's. That'll do me. I'm not buying the blu-rays just for a few gab tracks and talking head docs. I bought all the videos too!

Jerry Horne likes this.
  21. The interview with Tom Baker is almost worth the price of admission just by itself. And, at least here in the US, the upgrade in picture and audio from the DVDs to Blurays is noticeable.

Blimpboy and longdist01 like this.
  22. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Update:

Season 19 Peter Davison Blu-Ray boxset is due out December 4th.

BBC also are reissuing Douglas Adam's TV series "The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy : Special Edition" Blu-Ray Boxset on November 13th.

Maranatha5585 and chilinvilin like this.
  23. AJH

AJH Senior Member

Update on Tom Baker Season One Blu-ray replacement discs- I received my two replacement Blu-ray's on Wednesday, September 26, 2018.

longdist01 and MaestroDavros like this.
  24. MaestroDavros

Yep I received mine yesterday too. Very happy! :D

longdist01 likes this.
  25. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

Has anyone in the UK received theirs yet?