Doctor Who Episodes - Official News from The BBC*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by TheLazenby, Jun 18, 2013.

1. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

That’s a shame. It would have been great to have had a compete serial that had been mostly lost.

I bought them both, of course, and was hoping it was indeed the tip of the iceberg. Too bad.

longdist01 likes this.
  2. DeadParrot

DeadParrot Forum Resident

A very credible source, has also said that there are almost certainly a couple of episodes of Marco Polo in Iran, or at least there were very recently. The problem is that the political situation makes it almost impossible to get them back.

longdist01, Curveboy and AppleCorp3 like this.
  3. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thank you for sharing the little bit of info...hopefully one day it won't be a mystery what's exists with clear details!

4. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Amazon sales price $19.99 Now!

Tom Baker Season 7 (on 8 Blu-Ray discs)

[​IMG]

Mr Bass and AppleCorp3 like this.
  5. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

A couple UK updates on Summer Animated releases for Doctor Who:

"Fury From The Deep"
    June 1, 2020 - Blu-Ray & Steelbook
    [​IMG]

"Power of the Daleks" - Special Edition*
    July 6, 2020 - DVD & Blu-Ray
    [​IMG]

Improved Animation from 2016 release!

*details:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    AppleCorp3, Curveboy and Andy Smith like this.
  6. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

So bummed out that they seem to have abandoned Blu-ray for these individual releases in the US. And the UK versions are region locked.

7. Uggh. Are these the first UK classic Who Blu-rays that are locked?

8. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

No, they are all listed as Region B from what I can find out.

The current "boxed" seasons have been released here so they are OK.

9. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Not sure, I have a few of Steelbook "Animated" and previous "Classic Who" UK Blu-Rays that play ok!

Will hopefully know if they are "Locked B" discs for certain.

Curveboy and Shawn like this.
  10. Yeah, the UK ones I have - so far - all play fine in my US players. I hope that's the case for the new ones but I'll wait to see reports before I buy them.

longdist01 and Curveboy like this.
  11. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Geez...now I'm sorry I didn't buy them! Amazon UK warns they are region locked as do the forums over at Blu-Ray.com

12. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Shawn and Curveboy like this.
  13. FireBrigade

FireBrigade Forum Resident

This might be a very novice (and possibly naive) question but I thought this thread is a good place to ask as I've just started up re-buying DW DVDs I needed/wanted for the collection as well as the newer BluRay releases of Classic era stuff...

As decently purported previously in this thread, it's supposed that some of these Region 2 BluRay releases are not region locked, and therefore would play in other region players? Can anyone point out specifically which release or what time frame it occurred when these releases have become region locked so I know where to stop buying up to, perhaps? Or a list of relatively new releases from the last few years or so denoting which ones should work? Amongst these, I would be curious as to how the 2016 Blu-Ray release of the '96 TV movie works (I know it has a DVD of special features which is region locked, but no one seems to definitively say if the BluRay of the film itself is the same - some say it works in US players, others not...!)

If anyone could help me answer these questions I would be massively appreciative and hope this isn't being too redundant...!

Cheers!

Curveboy likes this.
  14. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

I have a multi-region Blu Ray player, so I'm not sure if any of the recent discs are truly Region B locked or not. (I cannot recommend a region free player highly enough... it truly frees you from the headache of having to worry about region encoding.) However, I can report with certainty that all of the box set "Collections" of the classic seasons are region free. I also have the following Blu Ray titles and none of them indicate that they are region locked, despite the Amazon listings saying they are:

Spearhead From Space
    Shada
    The Movie
    The Macra Terror
    The Faceless Ones

I have an old Region A player sitting around somewhere I can try these discs on and report back, if that would help.

Be aware that all of these titles are formatted in BD50 for the UK, so some US Blu Ray players and televisions (particularly older ones) might not be set up to handle to handle them. But my Oppo player and Sony TV handle them fine. Having said that, I usually rip the discs on my computer using MakeMKV and play the files through a hard drive connected to my TV. The MakeMKV program can handle any region, even if you haven't switched your computer BD drive to the region in question.

FireBrigade likes this.
  15. FireBrigade

FireBrigade Forum Resident

Thank you very much for all of that information, that is really helpful!! I appreciate your recommendations a lot as well - I only recently have started buying Blu-Rays in addition to DVDs, and via these great and affordable sets of Classic DW seasons it seemed like a prime opportunity to fill in the gaps...! I have an external CD/DVD drive for my computer but not a Blu-Ray one so maybe I will attempt investing in one in the future. I have 4 of the US versions of the newer season releases but I'm glad to hear as you report that the UK 'Collection' versions are truly region-free, in case I run across one of them...! Good to know about those five releases (I did already order The Movie, as I found it very cheap and was willing to take the gamble at the pricepoint, haha!) - if you happen to try out that Region A player, I would be really pleased to know the results, as that may have me purchasing those all if they truly work...!

Thanks again for your reply and suggestions!

16. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  17. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Yep! I collected some of the beautiful steel books for some of seasons I didn’t have on Blu-ray. I ordered one to test the waters and it played fine. I quickly bought the rest that I needed.

Shawn and longdist01 like this.
  18. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

Those are awesome. Thanks for sharing that.

longdist01 likes this.
  19. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

What a stylish set in color! Could have been in a groovy Gerry Anderson production :)

beccabear67, longdist01 and davenav like this.
  20. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  21. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Haven't had a Hartnell animation in quite a while.

Kind of get the feeling they're trying to complete season 4 so they can offer that as a season set. Technically they would have to animate a Hartnell for that, but I suspect they'll split season 4 with the two Hartnell stories going on season 3 because it would be more consistent with the marketing so far.

longdist01 likes this.
  22. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

With the latest Tom Baker BluRay set delayed by a week or two it gives me time to wonder - will the Baker sets become expensive rarities or will they be plentiful and inexpensive like the apparently unloved season 7?

23. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Is the Baker set delayed for some people? Mine is out for delivery today.

24. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Same here, out for delivery via Amazon US.

It's too bad they haven't announced the next release yet, really loving these releases.

25. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

They still need to do the Highlanders and Evil of the Daleks for 2nd Doctor season 4 stories. I am kind of surprised that they have not done Evil yet.