Doctor Who Episodes - Official News from The BBC*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by TheLazenby, Jun 18, 2013.

1. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Agree completely, the moment in the Horns of Nimon where the actor splits his trousers was the absolute nadir.

Mr Bass likes this.
  2. And there’s yet another version of Shada on this set? With ‘enhanced’ animation? The animation efforts have been mostly poor IMO so I’m worried about this so-called enhancement.

3. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Very cool. Looks like the Region 1 clamshell versions of these sets has been about 3 months behind the UK release, so this should come out around mid March 2022. I truly hope for Season 7 to come out next year, and maybe another Peter Davison set, with Season 6 being an outlier hope if they animate The Space Pirates. Eventually they will all come out, and 3 sets per year is a pretty good pace to deal with.

streetlegal and Shawn like this.
  4. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

If you look closely, you can see that he must have split them previously... as they are being held together with a few stitches (with his white underwear showing through), before splitting again during his death scene. I wonder if they were approaching the 10pm cutoff time for recording and simply didn't have a chance to fix them properly.

Shawn and tkl7 like this.
  5. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

The BBC has just announced that Doctor Who: The Collection – Season 17 is coming to Blu-ray on December 13 in the UK. (The US street date is expected to be 12/14.) The season features the ever-popular Fourth Doctor, aka Tom Baker, and the set comes loaded with a host of great new special features.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
    Shawn likes this.
  6. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Interesting. Do you have a link for that announcement of the US date?

7. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

citizensmurf likes this.
  8. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

New teaser for the last season of the Chibnall series of Doctor Who. The Doctor battles acid reflux, but not before first reading from a teleprompter that seems to be located just above the lens. Maybe the BBC can’t afford the kind that goes over the lens itself.

9. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

10. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I think the Nu Who stuff should be in the general discussion thread, this one was mainly devoted to Classic era missing episodes, animations and reconstructions, and blu ray sets.

11. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

I agree. Someone posted the trailer for the upcoming season, so I figured that I would post the article announcing the news.

12. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Sorry I thought this was the thread for official news from the BBC about Doctor Who episodes.

13. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

It was originally a missing episodes thread, but the "missing" was confusingly dropped from the title after 24 pages because no missing episodes have been recovered recently. As far as I know, nobody asked for the thread to be renamed, but this has generally been a classic who releases thread.

Shawn and longdist01 like this.
  14. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Question for those WHO might know: I know the BBC is putting out these animated blu rays of classic Who. Does audio exist for all the missing episodes? Just curious if they’ll be animating all the missing episodes or do they only have full audio for some? If so, is there a comprehensive list somewhere of missing episodes and audio?

Cheers

Curveboy likes this.
  15. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

I cannot find the list at moment, but there was a fanbase from 60's onward that home recorded the audio portion (Before video recording existed!!) of course some of the fans casually kept their tapes after all this time! If anyone else here finds the list or article about them, please post it.

I sure hope one day the BBC will get to an early Doctor Who boxset release...how they decide to pursue fulfilling the lost film or video sources though is going to take a massive undertaking!

deadbirdie and Curveboy like this.
  16. Thrillsville

Thrillsville Forum Resident

There is no missing audio.

All of the audio is available from off-air recordings, mostly from Graham Strong:
    Doctor Who News - Graham Strong 1949- 2018

It says the earliest recording he still had (he might have done earlier ones but couldn't remember) was the Keys of Marinus (the fifth story) and started recording wired directly to reel-to-reel from the TV audio output for Episode 7 of The Daleks' Master Plan.

All of the missing episodes have been released on compact disc with linking narration in box sets by the BBC called The Lost TV Episodes.

It also appears they have found another cache (2019):
    High Quality Audio Reels of Missing Doctor Who Serials Found!

P.S. It's the only way we will have Episode 7 (The Feast Of Steven) of The Daleks' Master Plan as it was only broadcast once and not included in any syndication or overseas sales packages.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
  17. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

That is just amazing...considering the furthest I went was to record the movie Meatballs on cassette and a few episodes of The Jeffersons...all long gone.

Dignan2000, longdist01, Shawn and 2 others like this.
  18. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

An animated Meatballs using your audio would've been amazing :laugh:

longdist01, Curveboy and ad180 like this.
  19. Thrillsville

Thrillsville Forum Resident

Others who recorded (according to this Loose Cannon page) were David Holman, David Butler, Richard Landen, & James Russell.

Loose Cannon Productions

I think that this aspect of Doctor Who is one of the most fascinating/admirable/remarkable. The WHOLE of the series spanning nearly 60 years can be enjoyed.

longdist01 and Curveboy like this.
  20. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

A cool 2019 BBC 4 radio program about "Lost episodes" and the fans preserving audio at home from their televisions.

Archive on 4 - Doctor Who - The Lost Episodes - BBC Sounds

deadbirdie and Crimson Witch like this.
  21. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

Newly announced animation: The Abominable Snowmen.

22. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

23. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Technically not lost footage, but a better copy of existing footage. But still exciting nevertheless, as it will hopefully be utilized for the upcoming BluRay box set for Season 1, whenever it is eventually announced... probably in time for the 60th anniversary. :righton:

longdist01 likes this.
  24. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

@Trashman and @KevinP

Looking forward to a Season 1 Blu-Ray boxset release for William Hartnell at some point it will be worth the wait!

25. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur