Doctor Who General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RubberBallMan, Apr 30, 2020.

1. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

I'm not disagreeing that there should be "available" hereoes/role models of all genders. I disagree that most people feel they "have to" identify with one of their own gender.

Crungy likes this.
  2. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

I don't disagree that in order to be able to identify with somebody you have to be of the same gender. What I was saying is that in a world where generally a male lead is portrayed as a heroic, physically strong 'kick-ass', for want of a better description, archetype it was nice to have a male figure such as the Doctor to identify with that was different from the norm and appealed to both boys and girls.
    Harry Potter would be a similar figure I suppose that appeals to both boys and girls but again doesn't fit the typical archetype male action hero figure.

longdist01 and AppleCorp3 like this.
  3. mcnpauls

mcnpauls Forum Resident

Sidney Newman, who has as much of a claim as anyone to being the creator of "Doctor Who" wanted the Doctor to become female in the 1980s.

longdist01 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  4. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

5. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

So wrapping up Peter Davidson's season 1 on blu-ray and I had some thoughts...

I always placed Peter towards the bottom of the Doctor list but I've had to re-evaluate that.
    First thing is I don't think I took note of how adorable he was. I was just starting my Who journey around when he started and I was much more into Hartnell and Pertwee and just didn't notice the young guy.
    Second I think he's a good Doctor stuck with some bad stories. Castrovalva is just so slow and terrible...which probably put me off him right away. But then you get three decent stories (well, parts of Kinda are good) in a row followed by the waste of time, Black Orchid. Earthshock is still shocking, but it could have been done in three instead of four parts.
    But then we come to Time-Flight, which may be the worst of the Original Who's I can think of. I don't think we'll see something this bad until Matt Smith takes over the TARDIS.

So we get not one, but two terrible Master stories to kick off Peter's first year. Yikes...

beccabear67 and Mr Bass like this.
  6. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I agree that Davison was not a bad Doctor. In fact I am of the school that says all the Doctors were fine in their way. They were let down by bad scripts, bad production and direction but that happens regularly even with the best actors and actresses. I believe the Arc of Infinity series shows Davison at his best. I think Colin Baker's Doctor suffered the most from bad scripts and direction.

Shawn, AppleCorp3, longdist01 and 2 others like this.
  7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I would rather viewers have characters with issues that they could identify with, rather than characters created to match target demographics.

-someone managing a family in poverty
    -someone dealing with a loss of life
    -someone who deals with disadvantaged citizens
    -someone who feels like an alien in the world

These are more relevant character traits for rich storytelling, than injecting the issues into a suit that looks like a viewer type.

raye_penber likes this.
  8. raye_penber

raye_penber .

From Hartnell to McGann, the Virgin New Adventures, and the Big Finish Audios - count me in.

Everything from 2005 on screen onward - I'll pass.

Happy for you to enjoy them, though (sincerely).

To me it just isn't the same character/show anymore.

9. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

There’s no Matt Smith—maybe not even any modern Who—that I would rank anywhere near as bad as “Time-Flight.” But my bottom of the barrel for Doctor Who—of any era—is “The Gunfighters,” just behind “The Trial of a Time Lord.” (Had it survived, I suspect “The Feast of Steven” might be the single worst episode, though.)

10. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I'd agree with just this part (I know it's not what you meant...:laugh:)

11. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I remember learning Peter Davison was to be the new Doctor Who and thinking he was totally wrong for it. Luckily, in watching it I found it worked out in that he was having problems early in his regeneration that to me explained that something had gone quite wrong. By Caves Of Androzani I totally bought he was The Doctor, but it definitely took time and you had to overlook crude marionette snakes and two blokes in a pantomime 'Myrka' costume. :laugh:

I thought Colin Baker was great casting in contrast and pretty much hated that entire 'era'! Mind you the companions were easily my two least favorites ever. The final two seasons of Sylvester McCoy had won me back though.

Sir Barry in the Tardis back in 1970 is a cute story to me!

12. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Worst story ever has to be Time and the Rani.

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  13. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Crungy and beccabear67 like this.
  14. beccabear67

I've never seen an Arena doc I didn't love!

longdist01 likes this.
  15. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Here's an earlier documentary
    The Delian Mode (2009)

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    Crungy and beccabear67 like this.
  16. beccabear67

^ This is an excellent show so far (12:00 in)! I'm thinking about Erik Satie and how Delia had to get the maths exact for her compositions to come together, and I've read and heard radio docs on her before.

Shawn and longdist01 like this.
  17. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Delia Derbyshire at
    BBC Radiophonic Workshop

"Door To Door"

Shawn likes this.
  18. Duncan Day

Duncan Day Middle Aged Savage

Big fan ! Started watching back in the Troughton days and am still watching to this day. Really like Jodie but feel most of her stories are a bit tepid. Felt the same with Matt. Thought he was probably the best modern Doctor but so many of his stories left me cold. I still watch though :)
    Favourite Doctor = Jon.

EwaWoowa, longdist01 and Shawn like this.
  19. TheeMidnightRider

TheeMidnightRider Well-Known Member

I first became familiar with The Doctor back in the late 70's/early 80's, can't remember for sure since it was SO long ago. But the Dr. I'm most familiar with/seen the most episodes of, is Tom Baker (not sure, without looking it up, which Dr. [2nd,3rd, 4th or whatever] he was). And if I not mistaken, didn't he have the longest run as The Dr.? If I'm remembering correctly, I was in Jr. High (7th/8th grade) & PBS where I lived played Doctor Who pretty regularly, but I'm wanting to say I only ever saw Baker as the Dr. back then. I didn't come to know, until much later that others had played The Dr. I'd LOVE to get the ENTIRE catalogue of Doctor Who on DVD or BluRay! I've managed to pick up random Dr. videos, here & there. I was even able to buy a copy of the 1st couple of episodes, with the 1st Doctor, William Hartnell, & when I bought it, I read online that allot of his time as The Dr. had been lost or destroyed by the BBC, or something. So I don't really have allot of experience with too many of the other Drs. But of the newest Drs. I have seen episodes from/of, I did like David Tenant & Matt Smith, but haven't seen nearly as many of their episodes as when Baker played him, but as I've already said, I'd LOVE to have ALL episodes of EVERY Doctor incarnation!!!

longdist01 likes this.
  20. beccabear67

We got Tom Baker in Canada, I don't know if they ever played Jon Pertwee here until later, but I know Australia got him while he was actually still the current Doctor. So my first exposure was Tom, but I like the three earlier Doctors as much (didn't care for Peter Cushing in the films so much though) that I have most of their available stories. Peter Davison was the first regeneration I saw and I got to like him okay though it took awhile to win me over and the excuse that something had gone wrong in this regeneration. Something went even more wrong in the next regeneration!

longdist01 likes this.
  21. Duncan Day

Duncan Day Middle Aged Savage

Yes, Tom, the fourth Doctor had the longest run of the original series.
    Unfortunately, you are right about there being quite a lot of missing Hartnell stories. Troughton as well, which particularly bugs me as one of those, Evil of The Daleks, was my earliest memory of the show, and I would love to see it again. There are rumours that its next to be animated which although not ideal, is better than nothing.

22. beccabear67

Evil Of The Daleks has long topped my list as the story I'd most like to see turn up complete (ala Tomb Of The Cybermen)... gothic science fiction!
    [​IMG]

23. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Like most American's I was introduced to Doctor Who in the Tom Baker years. Later the PBS stations showed some Jon Pertwee episodes. I remember when new seasons were available about 9-12 months after they were shown in the UK. I paid yearly dues to be a member of two Doctor Who fan clubs in the early/mid 1980's.

I saw some extras on youtube talking about the early Tom Baker years and how the production values gave episodes like "Genesis of the Daleks" and "Ark in Space" a very dark, forboding look. The special effects weren't great but I think they got a lot out of a small budget.

I remember watching the 25th aniversary episode "The Five Doctors" and have a vague recollection that it was actually shown in North America before it was shown in the UK (by only a couple of hours). Is that possible?

I also agree that Peter Davison was a huge change that people had a difficult time getting used to. There was some really poor episodes but "Earthshock" for me was Doctor Who at it's finest. I'd love to go back and revisit that...

beccabear67 likes this.
  24. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

Yep. It debuted in the US on over 100 public television stations on the actual anniversary, November 23, 1983 (which was the 20th anniversary, not the 25th). The BBC chose to hold it for two days so it could air as part of the Children in Need telethon on November 25.

Last edited: May 24, 2021
    Shawn likes this.
  25. Drew

Drew Senior Member

So it was the 20th anniversary... not the 25th. I was partially right.