Documentary on Elvis Presley’s Riveting ’68 Comeback Special’ Coming by Director Steve Binder

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Diego Lucas, Aug 12, 2022.

1. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hot on the heels of the success of Baz Luhrmann’s Elvis, the third-highest grossing music biopic since the 1970s, Steve Binder, the Emmy-winning director of Elvis Presley’s electrifying ’68 Comeback Special, is producing a documentary about the experience.

Elvis & Steve: The Making of the ’68 Comeback Special will delve into the behind-the-scenes drama that seemed to loom over almost every frame of the NBC program that catapulted Presley back into people’s homes and hearts.

Documentary on Elvis Presley’s ”68 Comeback Special’ Coming – Billboard

2. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Dang. Work fast, fellas.

GillyT and RSteven like this.
  3. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many pop-up ads on one site in my life! On the phone, it’s even worse!
    I gave up reading it! I’ll try again some point. I’m very interested in this.

mpayan likes this.
  4. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

The announcement in the headline is the gist of it. Should be out in 2023 for the special's 55th anniversary.

O Don Piano likes this.
  5. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Now this sounds right up my alley. Cool!

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Binder is really old (89) and has failing eyesight, so this will be a tough show to do. But not impossible. A friend of mine interviewed him on the phone last year and said his stories were riveting. One of the most remarkable was that Col. Tom Parker was not happy with the idea of the special (which was echoed in the Elvis movie), and tried to sabotage it by tossing a pile of the free tickets into an NBC guard booth. Binder said he found out about that the day before the taping at NBC, and frantically called a friend at KHJ radio and they had a quick radio giveaway over the next 18 hours to make sure the audience was packed with fans.

BeatleJWOL and Dan C like this.
  7. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

Going to watch this thread so I don’t miss any news. Might be a must-watch show for me.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  8. I hope Mr. Bindel can get clearance to be able to use the actual footage.

Vidiot and BeatleJWOL like this.
  9. Mr. Binder is a living legend. He directed the Star Wars Holiday Special Ffs!

skisdlimit, Shawn and BeatleJWOL like this.
  10. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Finally ordered his book. I'll never be this busy if I even make it to 89 !! :winkgrin:

Shawn and BeatleJWOL like this.
  11. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

wow. I remember when the raw footage was aired; I was spellbound. The last time I liked Elvis. Like someone said, 'he WANTED to be loved again.' Despite the annoying tambourine, it showed the man's voice was still great and he looked wonderful as well. Anyone else I would have tired of hearing multiple takes of 'Baby What You Want Me To Do,' but not Elvis. I best this is going to be really interesting.

skisdlimit, Shawn and BeatleJWOL like this.
  12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Binder has got a massive resume on IMDB. To him, the awful Star Wars Holiday Special is just one of many variety shows he did in the 1970s -- maybe a bigger budget than most, but nothing great. He was just a journeyman director doing what the producers told him to do. Mitzi McCall and Charlie Brill, who both worked on the show, have said that Lucas was there most of the time and approved the story, the jokes, the songs, everything. I certainly don't think the director was the problem -- the director doesn't generally have the power in television, since TV is a producer's medium.

Simon A, Myke and Shawn like this.