Does anybody else enjoy Magical Mystery Tour more than Sgt. Pepper?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Penny24, Oct 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter Forum Resident

It's great, but you still end up thinking that it was just thrown together. It's not as cohesive as an experience like Pepper is. There's nothing on there that matches hearing the Sgt Pepper reprise into A Day In The Life for the first time.

I will say that Blue Jay Way is an excellent song by George. You listen to that and It's All Too Much and you get the sense that he really interpreted the feeling of tripping better than anyone else in the band. The good trips where all the world is indeed "birthday cake" and the darker side that he really captures in Blue Jay Way.

Timos and 2141 like this.
  2. Library Eye

Library Eye Forum Resident

The question was one of enjoyment. My answer is for sure.
    I consider it right and proper (even cause for celebration) that it's the only foreign market compilation/album considered canon. Assembling those singles as side two of the perfectly (re)sequenced EP side is downright essential.

3. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

My Mmt Capitol mono was always my favorite Beatles album. Still is, alongside the later acquired German stereo

4. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

[​IMG]
    The Beatles – Magical Mystery Tour Plus Other Songs
    Label: Apple Records – 1C 072-04 449, EMI Electrola – 1C 072-04 449, EMI Electrola – 400001
    Format:
    Vinyl, LP, Compilation, Reissue
    Released: 1977
    Genre: Rock, Stage & Screen
    Style: Soundtrack, Psychedelic Rock, Pop Rock

I enjoy this as a better overall listen than PEPPER. It may be a hodgepodge of songs, but there's none of the highbrow pretentiousness of PEPPER and the pressure of having to say PEPPER is the best rock album of all time (which it isn't).

5. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Yes particularly if Giles wants to wait for technology to improve before doing pre 67 albums in 5.1, a mix of MMT and the 4 unique Yellow Sub tracks would be a perfect project for 55th anniversary of 1967. Heck maybe even throw in Carnival of Light and a complete edit of You Know My Name.

6. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I wish good Morning was on MMT and Fool on the Hill was on SP..A Day In the Life and Good Morning are the only songs I can listen to on SP.I als dislike Fool on the Hill immensely.

7. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

I probably play Sgt Peppers about twice as often as I do MMT. Sgt Peppers has “Within You Without You”, “A Day In the Life”, and a great Ringo song (“With a Little From My Friends”).

8. Yes sir! Right here! Sgt. Pepper had its moments like "A Day in The Life" and "Lucy in The Sky with Diamonds" but MMT had "I Am The Walrus", "Flying", "Blue Jay Way", "Strawberry Fields Forever", and "Fool on The Hill". Without "Lucy in The Sky with Diamonds", Sgt. Pepper would be a lost panga boat beached up like a dead Zeppelin.

9. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

indeed i do

veloso2 likes this.
  10. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Here!

veloso2 likes this.
  11. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Yep. MMT and Abbey Road are my two favorite Beatles albums. I still like Sgt. Pepper but it takes a back seat to these two.

12. Mr5D

Mr5D Forum Resident

Yes! Yes! Yes!

I have loved it for about 40 years. I first got into the EP, that my older brother had left behind at home, when I was in fifth grade. I then laybuyed a Japanese pressing of the album and would ride my bike down to the shop each week to put a bit more money down until it was finally paid off. I remember the big moment when I got it home and excitedly put on I Am The Walrus, expecting to finally hear what it would sound like without the vocals being all distorted, only to find that it sounded much the same as the EP! All that distortion being part of the track. Haha!!!

I still have my Japanese copy, along with several others, and as an album it still sits very high up in my top few favourite Beatles, despite it not technically being a “proper” album…or a British conceived one at least. But Pepper is certainly amazing and right up there for me too, but I’ve never had quite the same connection with it that I do with MMT.

Library Eye likes this.
  13. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

I've always loved 'Magical Mystery Tour' more than 'Sgt Pepper'

It's such a fabulous album from start to finish

The songs from the original double EP are phenomenal, and of course the 1967 singles on side 2.

14. jeffd7030

jeffd7030 I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.

I like MMT a long shot better than Sgt. Pepper.

veloso2 and douglas mcclenaghan like this.
  15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

they're all good to me...MMT has some great songs! So does Pepper...the mood I am in makes the choice...want to shake the house? Baby, You're A Rich Man does the job!

16. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

I've always seen them both as Part 1 and Part 2. Like Use Your Illusion or Nillson Schmillson/Son Of.

17. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

Everyone here knows my opinion on the matter..LOL

I've been saying this for years

18. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Ahh...' Magical Mystery Tour' , my first album.
    Ahh...' Sgt Pepper's...', my second album.
    Ahh...Beatles '67.

ponkine likes this.
  19. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

Crowning achievement in recorded rock?
    LOL you forgot the "IMO"

20. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

What I like the best about Sgt. Pepper & MMT is that between them, you have everything the Beatles released in 1967. I prefer listening to MMT a bit more.

Library Eye likes this.
  21. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

1000%. I like Pepper but I’ve always preferred the US release of MMT

Library Eye likes this.
  22. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

-MMT rises above mediocrity only because Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields were added on.
    -There are good and bad granny songs.....She's Leaving Home is a good one, but not even really a granny song, as its about a daughter leaving home (is Eleanor Rigby a granny song? what is your definition of granny song?).
    -Hello, Goodbye is very weak.
    -All You Need is Love is dated and hard to listen to today.
    In contrast, Pepper is full of wonderful songs culminating in the masterpiece A Day in the Life.

23. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

I like them equally, although I do tend to listen to Magical Mystery Tour much more often. Maybe that means it does rank higher, at least in terms of listening habits.

24. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Love them both, but
    yes, enjoy MMT more.

25. williamjoel

williamjoel Spins At 33 1/3 RPM

MMT is sorta two albums. Side 1 is the songs from a weird TV show, Side 2 has some of the best singles ever recorded.
    It reminds me of 'Head' by The Monkees. The songs are greater than the accompanying video, IMHO.
    Pepper is the top of the mountain, but on the way down, you get those incredible singles from MMT.
    1967 is my favorite year for The Beatles. I love both albums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.