Does anyone else think the Pink Floyd Early years box price is...nearly criminal?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by zeuhl, Oct 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zeuhl

zeuhl Forum Resident Thread Starter

So although you can bag this on pre-order from Amazon for $571.00, some places still have it on preorder for the full$699.00 list price. This reminds me of the epi-pen scandal when the price went from $55 bucks to over $500.
    I guess the comparison is, for some of us "we have to have this box set, it is a physical and health need"

No way for me to see any justification for this level of fan gouging.

SammyJoe, goer, majoyenrac and 3 others like this.
  2. impalaboy

impalaboy Forum Resident

It's not gouging if nobody is forcing you to buy it or you life does not depend on it.
    It is ultimately the consumer who will determine if the price is too high. If nobody buys it, look for copies the discount bins.
    If it sells well, expect these prices in the future.

3. Django

Django Forum Resident

No way would I pay that for any boxset...

Paully, sathvyre, Jimmy B. and 2 others like this.
  4. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

It's a bit too rich for my level of interest in the early years but if you're into that era then I think you're really lucky to be offered such a comprehensive set.
    The price is harsh but I can't really judge it as someone who, unless I hit a massive windfall, will be waiting for the individual sets next year. I'd say that if you're really a big fan of the era you won't complain too much about the price when you've got the set in your hands, it looks fantastic.

Jim B. likes this.
  5. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

The way I look at it is this...if MY favourite band released a set as comprehensive and lavish as this one how would I feel? Personally if 'my favourite band' released a similar set I'd be over the moon and happy to lay down the cash for it. PF aren't my favourite band (even though I've got the big sets for WYWH, DSOTM & The Wall) but if they were, I'd be counting the days until release and rubbing my hands together in anticipation.

Lost In The Flood and Jim B. like this.
  6. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

It's been proven time and time again to be UNDER priced,research the main thread about the item.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  7. zeuhl

zeuhl Forum Resident Thread Starter

And therein lies the problem. They are one of MY favourite bands. Comprehensive to a point, as many fans already have owned much of this on bootleg cassettes forever. But I am definitely not over the moon happy with this list price. Even at $300.00, I'd still balk. I believe what Impala said is correct, a dismal sales return will inhibit any further thoughts of "hey let's see what we can soak our fans for" coming from suit-land in major labels.

impalaboy likes this.
  8. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

9. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Love me floyd. Don't wish to pay this absorbitant price. I will have to save and buy it for my Barrett floyd unreleases. Gotta have Vegetable Man. The price is absurd.

Mr Sam likes this.
  10. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

No, and I'm buying it.

But I do think it's pretty ridiculous that they're issuing eveything now in one swell foop when they should have issued it in small, affordable doses over the past forty years. It's a little overpriced, to be sure, but not to a ridiculous extent. And most (though not all) of it will be issued in smaller sets next year for those who can't afford it now. It's a luxury item designed for the few people left who still are willing to pay premium prices for (very old) music, but it's pretty far from criminal. Criminal would be the prices current musicians charge for decent seats at live concert events.

11. I think Mr. :crazy: 'Dunwich' is trolling. This is an exceptional value and I'm looking forward to it.

amonjamesduul likes this.
  12. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

It's pricey and probably worth it. I'll be holding out for a while to see where it goes...and saving up some more. My life will go on without it. :righton:

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  13. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Doesn't it work out to be about $10 a disk?

14. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Definitely. Pink Floyd are firmly in my top 5 artists, but the original press release for this box and its sampler felt like a slap in the face. I went through the track list and found about 30 or 40 songs that I'd love in a two or three-disc compilation (and only about three of those were on the sampler they gave us). This box is beyond padded. It reminds me most of the snack bags that say "contents may settle" when 90% of the bag is air. Most of the songs that I want are from the first book and the remainder are scattered about. I was interested in the Obscured By Clouds remix, but the remix of "Childhood's End" sounds much, much worse than the original to me. So I'll be picking up the first book (for less than $30) and graciously accepting the other ones if they're given to me free of charge, but that's as far as I'll go.

I love me some Floyd, but I hate me some terrible business practices a little bit more.

15. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Everything is expensive and this box set is no different.

Rooster_Ties, CrazyCatz and mestreech like this.
  16. Actually less than $10 per, depending on where you purchased it. I locked in a very nice presale price. :tiphat:

Dennis0675 likes this.
  17. psychtrailmix

psychtrailmix Forum Resident

Price is a bit insane..... As far as the SYD-era stuff that's on this, what is on here as far as stuff that hasn't been on say the "Have You Got It Yet?" comps or the 2 DVD set "Let's Roll Another One"?

Dr. Mudd likes this.
  18. Further

Further Forum Resident

Yup. Too much. In fact, I cancelled my order for it.

As much as I want it, I just can't justify it at that price. I'll probably grab a few of the individual sets next year, although it will be hard to choose what to do without.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  19. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

It's a collectable. An artifact.
    More like conceptual sculpture than a listening experience.
    Better to buy the individuals for that.

Hattipper likes this.
  20. impalaboy

impalaboy Forum Resident

Again, it is ultimately the concert goer who determines the prices. Artists will charge whatever people are willing to pay. Ask the Eagles about this.

ARK likes this.
  21. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

If you can find it for $270.

Besides; even then, you're paying for all the DVDs that just duplicate the same material as is on the BluRays.

Tristero, Vinyl Addict and Dennis0675 like this.
  22. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I don't get how that price per disc comes up as unreasonable.

23. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I really don't know how many disks are in there but I know it's s big package. I'm not buying it, it is too much for me to pay when all I want is the new content.

24. Terry

Terry Senior Member

I cancelled my order, as it's too rich for my poor wallet.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  25. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

8 CDs of previously unreleased music (plus the five singles and one track from 'Picnic') and one CD of the new 'Obscured By Clouds' remix.
    7 BluRays of previously unreleased material (edit: and audio-only quad mixes of 'Atom Heart Mother' and side two of 'Meddle') and one BluRay of the movies Floyd did the soundtracks to.

9 DVDs duplicating the material from the BluRays and 5 7" single reproductions that are duplicated on the CDs.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
    CrazyCatz and Dennis0675 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.