Does anyone else think the Pink Floyd Early years box price is...nearly criminal?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by zeuhl, Oct 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zeuhl

zeuhl Forum Resident Thread Starter

It is actually over $20.00 per disc, not $10.Which is a lot. And nooooo, not trolling, $700 bucks for a box set is worthy of questioning whether it is really overpriced and whether we are getting the short end of the stick. And if what 93curr says is correct, a nineteen disc set is actually over THIRTY dollars per disc. This is what I am talking about with the 'borderline criminal' pricing.
    A conceptual sculpture is spot on though.`
    Edit: a quick review of the contents indicated it actually is 19 discs with 8 video discs duplicated on Blu-Ray. 19 discs at a $699.00 list is $36.79 per disc. Ughhhhhhh :tsk:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
    CrazyCatz and SquaRoots like this.
  2. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Its way too much money, yes. Which is why I never even considered buying it. And yes, I have just about everything else they've released.

psychtrailmix likes this.
  3. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Just curious, what price were you able to preorder the box set for?
    From where?

4. $365 from Amazon Italy. I preordered it the day it went on sale. I think that was the lowest I found it for. Mister fictitious from Dunwich (yeah, that's cute) Mass. is under the impression that the box is selling for $700. Most folks here were resourceful enough to preorder for much less. Once it's released I'm sure it'll be available for around $300/$350 from the Amazon marketplace sellers in the U.K.

lightbulb and Hattipper like this.
  5. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Dare I say...a Relic.

Hattipper likes this.
  6. I'm just about to spend $250 on a fountain pen, and that's a rock bottom price for the model I'm looking at (Sailor 1911 Profit Black Luster). So who am I to say?
    I wouldn't go near it as I'm not a Floyd worshipper and I can't think of any classic rock worth that money (but that's just me). Seems a bit cheeky asking that much, looks like $400 worth to me, tops.

deany76 likes this.
  7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

it just so easy.......if nobody buys it, they will lower the price, guaranteed.

8. deany76

deany76 Forum Resident

Hope its free on Google Play Music ASAP.

9. deany76

deany76 Forum Resident

The Beatles of fountain pens Sailor 1911 Black Luster Fountain Pen - M Nib » "this special and exquisite pen." true class.
    I'd use Liverpool made ink myself About Diamine Inks » for the pen.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  10. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

But isn't that why there's such a large time period from the announcement until delivery - so they can guage just how many copies to produce in advance?

11. gryff

gryff Active Member

It is way too expensive - as the immersion boxes were.

12. CrazyCatz

CrazyCatz Great shot kid. Don't get cocky!

I've been steadily re-building my Floyd Collection(got rid of Hi Fi,and all media) don't have tha many yet maybe 6-7 and even tho I would really love to own this Boxset ..i just can't see it happening (a) I'm tight (b) Missus would Hit tha Roof if it popped up on tha Credit Card bill.. Nope I'll just keep grabbing Bargains off tha Bay...

A Nice Boxset, Hell it's outta this world, but then so is tha Price!!

atb

13. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

It is too expensive for me, but for what it is, the U.K. price seems reasonable...and people will buy it.

I've got a lot of this material, and hardly ever play it, so I can't justify the purchase.

Pink Floyd have already released their best material...I'm more than happy with that.

Jim B. likes this.
  14. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Although, it does contain twenty-seven discs.

15. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

What's borderline criminal is that there are no marbles included.

Jim B. and CrazyCatz like this.
  16. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

Why is it not possible in 21st century to sell the items in such a box separately ?
    Why not a cd box and the dvd's/blu rays separately?

rjp likes this.
  17. joachim50

joachim50 Forum Resident

I can quite easily spend the amount being charged(about €420.- at amazon.uk),but I do not want to!

One reason is that I am absolutely sure that in February 2017 at latest it will be available A LOT cheaper,which will make me think again.

The other reason is that I know that PF and its shareholder(the members of PF or their estates) are immensely rich,and that this box is the ideal opportunity to shoulder a fair amount of all costs themselves as a gesture to their fans.

As long as groups of this stature don't do that or make their record companies do that I will not buy!

18. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

I understand the bulk of the material is to be released separately in 2017. What I would like to see happen, for this set and similar sets in the future, would be a subscription service. I would happily pay a monthly subscription direct debit to get one part of this box set delivery each month. I could immerse myself in that knowing that the next 'installment' would be arriving the following month. Could be a good model for these luxury items.

psychtrailmix and Runicen like this.
  19. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

I'm buying it
    Yep, its way too expensive
    I am hoping it will become a good investment for my kids future one day when we have all heard it enough.

20. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

They the cash now from those who can afford the box. They're gettin' on in years and will kick in not too many. Time to squeeze.

21. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

Yes it is expensive and it's annoying that it also clashes with the vinyl reissue campaign. However, if you look at the contents it must've been expensive to make, including the licensing of material. I've been meaning to shift a load of stuff on ebay and this gave me the impetus to do it. So, I've managed to raise the funds and I'm really looking forward to it. Fans have waited ages for this and it was inevitable that if we got what we hoped for it would be expensive.

22. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi

I wear Rick Owens clothes $3000 shoes and $6000 jackets it's all up to what you value. Hate PF but the price seems reasonable for what you gt. If The Beatles did something like this it would be priceless.

23. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

I haven't been keeping up with the massive and ongoing box set thread but has there been any kind of official confirmation that this Early Years set is the first in a series? I've regretfully decided to pass on this set due to the expense but I've also thought that I'd likely spend that same amount of money on an equivalent box covering the DSOTM / WYWH years, assuming they do one.

24. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Its too expensive but then so are Roger Waters concert tickets.

Its Pink Floyd and there is just far to much i want in teh box not to buy, im to impatient to wait for the individual boxes, some of which i can see selling very well.

25. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Nope. No confirmation at all. Seems likely that they put all they had into the Immersion boxes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.