Does anyone have an opinion on "The Shadow" with Alec Baldwin, from 1994?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, Feb 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I saw the movie on cable last night and was actually quite amused by it. I'd heard from so many critics that it was like the worst film ever made or something. Held my interest. Any comments?

2. Dean De Furia

Dean De Furia Senior Member

I actually enjoyed this movie when I first got it on DTS laserdisc. Not one of my favorites but I've seen much worse.

3. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

I enjoyed this movie. Unfortunately, the DVD is not in the Original Aspect Ratio, even though the LDs were.

4. RDK

RDK Active Member

It's actually gotten a bit of a bad rap. It's not a great film by any means, but neither is it as bad as some say.

I always thought it should have been done in black and white. :D

5. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

I thought it wasn't "bad" - not a total waste of a couple of hours - but it was a little too broad / cartoon-like, too colorful. I didn't think it really captured the noirish, mytical, period tone of the original.

Yes, black-and-white, or even sepia might have been the way to go.

6. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I used to use the DTS LaserDisc as a demo for friends. There is a scene where he stops some crooks on a bridge (I think), and his voice swirls all around the room. Very cool in DTS!

7. Steve Hoffman

Who has a copy of the laser disc to loan me?

8. Tony Caldwell

Tony Caldwell Senior Member

I went to the theater to see it. I remember really liking the scene on the bridge. I thought it was a good movie, but I didn't like the villan. I thought it should have been a few "lesser" villans than just one villan.

A friend of mine is a "Shadow" fanatic. He has millions of the old novels, and posters and such. He was just telling me that he thought it was available on dvd overseas as a widescreen version. I think he has a widescreen version that he taped from a Satellite broadcast.

He doesn't have the laser disc... Sorry

9. Steve Hoffman

The crappy DVD is full screen. What a crock.

10. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Sorry Steve, I eBay'd that LD a long time ago. "DVD's are coming! Unload your LDs now!" was the cry. Well, I got rid of some, but not all. However, all of the DTS ones went......:(

11. Steve Hoffman

Ah, good old Sckott found me a cheap used copy.

Goody. I like the sets & stuff....:)

12. SonicZone

SonicZone Senior Member

I thought it was an OK movie; worth its viewing. My friend in Indiana, who reviews films, saw it as "just another excuse to get Alec Baldwin into an expensive suit."

I loved the look of the Cobalt Club, though. And the way that band and club singer performed "Some Kind Of Mystery."

13. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Well, it wasn't bad enough to make Rachael Bitchlist's Dumm-Butt Film Classics list. I think it's an average to a little above average film. Too many critics have it in for Baldwin, me thinks. Is it because he's a vegetarian librarian or what?:confused: The DTS LD is purr-dy good rendered by a top LD player. It's hard to figur why it hasn't been done up right on DVD...? When stuff like Mr. Ed has made it to DVD and PHANTOM can't get a proper release, well, it's destitively ka-atocious.

14. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

Oh, I liked this movie. Sure, it gets a little silly at the end, but I've always like Alec Baldwin. He's better than most of the parts he got after The Hunt For Red October, but this was a fun movie.

I kept my laserdisc for the reason that I'd heard the DVD was to be full-screen before it came out (along with Babe at that time). I would have loved to have gotten the DTS LD, but I didn't have a DTS receiver back then.

Now that I have my new used Pioneer 704, I may have to pull it out.

Joel

15. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Well, they did at the time. His reputation really took a bruising with "Prelude to a Kiss", "The Marrying Man", and the remake of "The Getaway" which had come out just five months previous. He was in the full throes of the inevitable Benifer-style backlash when celebrity couples make bad movies (the latter two) together. In a rare oasis of respect at the time, just about everyone thought his small role in Glengarry Glen Ross was dynamite. I seem to remember him getting pretty good notices for "Malice", although critics and audiences were lukewarm to the film as a whole. Go figure.

They seemed to like him in The Cooler this year.

16. JakeM

JakeM Senior Member

I always thought this movie got a bad rap too. It's one of the better comic book movies in my opinion. Just a lot of fun. No great cinematic event, but fun in the way that the old serials were supposed to be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.