Does anyone still buy and collect DVDs?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by php111, Sep 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

I'll happily buy things like Ken Burn's documentaries or discs that are only available on DVD (I recently bought Barry Sanders - A Football Live)
    Movies though are almost exclusively blu-ray

2. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

yes, I do.

SteveM, Evan L and Peter Pyle like this.
  3. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I still buy and watch my DVDs. My collection is mostly music related and TV shows with only about 10 percent being movies.

4. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

It's all I buy.

SteveM likes this.
  5. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

I can top this, not only did I buy that Collector's VHS tape of TPM, I bought the Laserdisc from Japan. The only positive aspect I can think of is that it is the only theatrical version of this film that was ever released on disc, and that is not saying much!

Grunge Master likes this.
  6. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

I'll still buy DVDs here and there when no blu-ray version exists.

Smiths22 likes this.
  7. 905

905 Senior Member

Almost never. I wish I had all that money I wasted in the mid 00s back.

lahtbp, scobb and erniebert like this.
  8. I still buys them from time to time, as I still has a CRT TV, and they can be have for pretty decent prices.

jsayers and dustybooks like this.
  9. joeconn4

joeconn4 Forum Resident

I wouldn't say I collect DVDs, but I do still buy. The movies and old tv shows I like, I like to watch over and over. I don't own too many, but I probably buy 4-5 a year, sets more than stand alone discs. Have a bunch on my wish list. I like them for the special features, although with a few exceptions I don't watch that stuff too often.

But I'm the guy who still has a VCR and watches tapes once in awhile too.

Original Hits likes this.
  10. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

:righton:

11. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

well yeah i bought this last week, i would have prefered a blu-ray version though:

[​IMG]

12. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Not in several years, at least.

13. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

We accumulate DVDs. They are not a "collection" so my wife is free to put them in the wrong cases, scratch them, leave them laying about, lose them etc. :D

14. caupina

caupina Forum Resident

Just music related DVDs (mostly concerts) not available on Blu-ray.

Tommy SB likes this.
  15. Laibach

Laibach Forum Resident

It's not that I don't like, or want DVDs but the nature of my spending changed around 2011 when I started buying music.

Up until very recently I had as many DVDs as I had CDs and even though CDs have now overtaken, it took me about a decade to accumulate those DVDs while it took only 3-4 years to acquire the same number of CDs and an LP collection which was almost non-existent a couple of years ago.

The problem with DVD I think, is that the market is centered around high-priced Hollywood blockbusters (say Fast and the Furious, Transformers) and I'm not interested in those movies.

16. Peter Pyle

Peter Pyle Forum Resident

Of course! Are these passé now, like CD's? If so, then too bad as I'm still buying them.

dustybooks likes this.
  17. Most of the time if I'm offered the choice I'd rather go with BluRay instead. But there are times when source material is quite old and I don't expect a significant upgrade on the BluRay, or sometimes a store just doesn't have a BluRay version in stock.

18. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

I assume the OP is asking if anyone is still buying physical disks - Blu-ray as well as standard def DVDs - instead of streaming, and not whether people prefer SD DVDs over Blu-ray disks.

Have I misunderstood the question?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I've been buying 100% blu ray for about 3 years now, that being said there's not much I need to buy, I have 90% of what I want and there's very little new releases I care for.

20. Atari265278

Atari265278 Forum Resident

No, unless it's a gift for someone. Along with my music, I've gone mostly digital.

21. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Me too. Not planning to go Blu-Ray.

SteveM likes this.
  22. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I've never collected DVD's. I own at most not even a half dozen DVD's and two of them are part of a CD set. I like VHS. Tapes are very cheap now and many movies on VHS are not on DVD.

23. wave

wave Forum Resident

I never had a DVD collection until now. Many of my favorites still aren't on blu-ray or stream consistently (or at all) on Netflix. Besides, the DVDs are too cheap to pass up. In fact, they're so cheap I just put the disc in a Case Logic folder and trash the case/artwork.

24. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

Still using a CRT television here, still collecting DVDs. I'm passionate about movies but I'm not much of a videophile -- just don't have the eyes for it, it seems. I'm sure someday I'll have a few blu-rays and I already buy dual format when available, but I don't see myself repurchasing most of the films I own. I'm just the type of person who'd rather get something he doesn't already have. In whatever format it's possible, I suspect I'll always collect physical copies of films. There's just nothing like knowing that those Chaplins are on the shelf, y'know?

jukes likes this.
  25. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

You bet your boots!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.