Does anyone still buy and collect DVDs?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by php111, Sep 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Supergirl I have both Blu-Ray & DVD. Georgy Girl is one I'm hoping Criterion will do a deluxe version of. The rest are ones I see no need
    to own on Blu-Ray.

Blondie-The Complete 1957 Television Series (A great show with a great price on amazon), The Day After (2 disc set with 2 versions of the
    movie), Georgy Girl (I always wanted this movie & now I have it.), The Goldbergs-The Complete Fifth Season (I don't watch this show but
    I got this because one of the episodes involves Donkey's Steaks in Camden,NJ. The family that owns the restaurant are friends of mine &
    are like family to me.), Joey+Rory-The Singer & The Song: The Best Of Joey+Rory (I love all of their music & videos! I intend to get all of
    them as they are released.), Supergirl-The Complete Third Season (For each season I get both the Blu-Ray & DVD. I get the DVD so I can
    convert the episodes to digital copies for my iPad. I love this show!), Superstore-Season One (It was only $10 at Walmart & I bought it to
    see how they spoofed Walmart.), Welcome To The Dollhouse (Ever since I saw the Siskel & Ebert review on TV I always wanted to see it.)
    [​IMG]

alexpop and melstapler like this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

[QUOTE="BILLONEEG, post: 19687569, member: 3967
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]
    Even though I've stopped buying DVD movies ( have most) I've started to collect DVD TV series box sets( well some).

clhboa likes this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

DVD: It's About Time...

4. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

DVD: TIMELESS, Season 2.

It was only available as a DVD, no Blu-ray.

5. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Bought the video, bought the dvd, not buying anymore. Some stuff only ever gets watched once then gets put on the shelf. The only thing I've bought of late have been Doctor Who dvd's. Now I pull them out the cover and stick them in a folder along with the cover. Usedto have shelves and shelves of them. Not any more. Allows more room and cash for LP's.

6. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

I find I no longer buy classic movies, and I suspect that is because as I get older I feel like I should spend my time watching films I have not yet seen rather than rewatching films that I loved and that were very good.

By all rights I should have all of Hal Ashby's movies for example, but, it just doesn't make sense to.

That said, if I were insanely rich I'd buy them anyway.

KAJ1971 likes this.
  7. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

Sam’s Club and Costco no longer carry DVDs. CDs have been gone for a few years now

8. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Costco had a major firesale. At one point, all their Disney blu's were going for $5 a pop. I wouldn't be surprised if Frys or BestBuy go next. It's too bad in a way. I wonder sometimes if these decisions aren't forced upon us by a higher corporate power.

Another trend I am noticing is that it's getting harder to find good stuff in the used bins anymore too. I asked our local used DVD purveyor about this and he said that when they get something rare or interesting, they make more money selling it on Ebay, so all we get on the shelves is the dross and the popular stuff. I can still find the occasional treasure but it takes some digging. Not sure about other towns but that's the trend here in central Cali. I pretty much do all my used shopping on Ebay now anyway.

9. Vincent3

Vincent3 Forum Resident

I don't collect DVDs, but I've picked up several older movies and TV series at thrift shops. When I'm looking at a like-new DVD for $1, I think about whether the BD for that title is that important to me. Then there are the BDs I passed up for the DVD version because the BD got bad reviews (for example, the Color of Money).

10. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

While TCOM is a terrible bluray it still is slightly better than the DVD with better color and better sound. While DNR is annoying the true distinction a total piece of crap and not worth upgrading is Weird Science. Wax fest with garbage transfer. Hate a movie I love so much being screwed so bad on bluray.

As for movies I have enjoyed the 2 parts of the Noriko trilogy Criterion. Looking forward to Bergman huge box set.

Been so many great Criterion releases.

Hate that Midnight Cowboy and Bull Durham were screwed. Sisters looks bad to me as well.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    Vincent3 likes this.
  11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

only if I cannot get it on BD...so yes, I'm still stuck with DVD...amazing how they still release movies only on DVD...

and many older DVDs are not anamorphic, with no BD in sight...
    Strange Days comes to mind...did they ever release this in anamorphic WS? my copy is not...that goes for True Lies as well...

12. I still don't have a Blu-ray player, and rarely watch movies on DVD. I think I have about 35 DVD's in total, all music-related -- half of which came coupled with CD's (which were my primary reason for buying the release).

I do have a few (less than 10) documentaries on DVD, and 1 (or maybe 2?) actual "movies".

When we moved to DC from Kansas City, it was 3-4 years before I actually ever hooked up our DVD player to the TV (a combined VHS/DVD player, I might add). And even then, it was only when the stereo in the room where our TV is finally went belly-up, and I hooked up the DVD player so I could play CD's (on the TV) -- which actually sounded surprisingly great. Small living room (630 sq-ft apartment), and the TV it was hooked up to actually had better sound than the stereo system I had previously (which I still haven't replaced 3 years later).

5,000+ CD's (and ~150 LP's), but I must confess I've never been one for expensive stereo equipment.

13. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I just got the Reba TV series DVD box set. Such a great show.

[​IMG]

14. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

A department store chain in the UK is no longer going to sell DVD players:

John Lewis pulls the plug on DVD players

But the fine print is that they will still sell BluRay players, so, really the surprise is that some companies are still making DVD players.

15. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

I still buy the movies I love- mainly on Blu-ray. If there is no other choice, I'll get the DVD.

Streaming simply doesn't have everything I want, when I want it. And a great site like FilmStruck , with marvelous titles, is absolutely awful when trying to use it, with constant buffering (which I don't have a problem with on any other app on my Roku)

16. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

Just picked up two dvds The French Connection 5Star edition and LoneStar

17. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Just picked up a batch of Shaw Brothers Celestial releases on Ebay for like nothing. I remember when these were going for 20-30 bucks apiece! There may not be many of us left with physical collections after the smoke clears, but I bet those that do will have some really good ones.

18. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

We still buy DVDs. We have a Blu-Ray player ;however, we purchase more DVDs then Blu-Ray discs. It all comes down to price. The difference between the quality isn’t enough for me to care. I grew up with VHS so DVD is still an improvement.

brownie61 and alexpop like this.
  19. alexpop

Some Blu Rays omit stuff thats on the DVDs, best to keep both..if that's the case.

20. alexpop

Unless I value the film I'll try and get Blu Ray, usually the DVD will suffice.

eric777 likes this.
  21. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

New movies, especially, are starting to be released as 4K + blue-ray in the same package. DVD is gradually going away.

22. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

The only ones I buy these days are blue-rays, mostly stuff for the kids. They can play them in the car on long trips, which is a nice.

23. alexpop

Movies /Physical media is practically worthless with the exception of limited rare steelbooks 4K/BD and 3D titles. Good time to pick up DVDs ( some films yet on BD) cheap as chips.

24. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Worthless? DVD's sell very well and blurays sets are going for thousands in some cases (like the oop Phantasm set).

Not following this at all. Not that I mind you saying it. It keeps competition down.

Graham likes this.
  25. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

:confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.