Does anyone still buy and collect DVDs?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by php111, Sep 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

You mean my Laserdiscs are worthless?....LOL! I'm actually buying some horror/sci fi laserdiscs on the cheap ......and the occasional blu-ray like Universal and Hammer horror stuff. But I rarely buy DVD these days.

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Enjoy. :)

3. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Worthless implies no re-sale value. While the comment seems trollish if refusal of quantification occurs, what intrigues me is why poster has come to this conclusion.

Physical media remains close to half of the market, and if one includes re-sale it is quite a bit more than that. The comment is not grounded in reality. If one says that physical media is worthless, what is the worth of paying for air with ZERO re-sale value (digital codes withstanding)?

4. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

I can't find any lacking in your logic.

genesim likes this.
  5. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Picked up Strange Days at Half Price Books for $4.99!

6. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Even though I've stopped buying DVD movies ( have most) I've started to collect DVD TV series box sets( well some).[/QUOTE]
    Love Joey + Rory! What's on the dvd? I bought the cd.

7. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Love Joey + Rory! What's on the dvd? I bought the cd.[/QUOTE]
    It's a video version of the CD with bits of conversation with Rory & Bill Gather. Get it!!! It's awesome!!! You will be impressed!!!

Please share your thoughts about the DVD (& CD) after you watch it.

clhboa likes this.
  8. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

The small print is that DVD players can be bought for as little as £20 in stores and online, and so John Lewis is being squeezed out. I'm surprised they are not suffering the same fate as the other department stores, although I guess they don't have stores in every town centre.

9. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

DVDs have no resale value in the UK though, this is true. of course there is the odd release that maybe for legal reasons can't be reissued and is out of print and is rare but 99.9% are worthless in terms of secondary market. It's just a fact. You might get 20p for one in CEX or Cash Converters. They are like all those 90's CDs you can buy for a penny on Amazon.

10. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Sure whatever you say. You are right, they don't make money. Please everyone selling DVD's...stop. It makes no sense. ;)

11. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

You understand I'm talking about the secondary market.

12. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Shame you aren't local. Don at Dixie Flea Market took a crates worth of laserdiscs, all sealed. I wish I knew someone who collected as they're priced cheaply.

13. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

DVDs in England are so cheap. I remember my friend would just buy a movie he wanted to watch rather than rent it as it was cheaper to buy it in most cases and he was buying only new ones. Not everything was priced so low but a lot of them were.

They're harder to sell here as well now. Some stores that carry used inventory have discontinued them and are trying to move them out at discounted prices. I find that box sets tend to do better but no one is really buying them at decent prices to resell. Too risky I think and they stick around for longer.

I have a few things I would like to sell but postage makes a $5 item cost $15 which isn't going to work.

14. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Yes I understand. I don't make arguments for bootleg SALES.

I get no advantage with educating here.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  15. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

Hopefully they'll go to someone who will enjoy them. I'd like to find sealed Laserdiscs at a really good price......meaning maybe $10 tops, unless it's something rare or Japanese imports of horror/sci fi.

16. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yeah I hope they find a good home. They're all priced at $10 (Canadian each). All sealed as well. Some of them have the original price on them still; over $100 in some cases. Which surprised me. They look so nice, I almost started collecting them myself! :)

Apparently it came from the collection of a dentist who, as a hobby, would buy up old store stock at auctions, etc. He passed away and his family handed everything over to Don for consignment.

17. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

There are both physical and non-tangible items which have worth, yet no resale value. You want to purchase this used burrito? Didn't think so. I get worth out of both the burrito and the "air" that I just watched or listened to.

18. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I just bought a copy of The Hunger with Deneuve, Sarandon and Bowie and $5 for Sicario.

19. Brucedgoose

Brucedgoose Forum Resident

I still buy concerts on DVD, Blu-ray, and, if necessary, as in the case of “Let It Be,” even on Laserdisc. I can then Record the soundtrack to a CD-R and copy it to a hard-disc system which feeds the entire house. So even though I might only watch the show once, I hear the music whenever I want along with the rest of my music library.

snowman872 likes this.
  20. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Or I can have my burrito and eat it too....because it is still there after I am done with it....and can be duplicated shared whenever I want with whomever I want.

Oh and for the record...your burrito has less filling than mine because it was compressed to hell.

21. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

I get 'em when they're cheep. Mostly concert DVDs.

But today I bought Scrubs seasons 1-8 and Dexter seasons 1-8 for $6 total at the local flea market. Just in case Netflix or Hulu no longer streams them.

--Geoff

The Hud likes this.
  22. alexpop

What's the size of everybody's DVD collection ?
    You can add blu ray/4K if you like!!!!!

23. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

1,744 titles so far. 344 of them have digital copies on VUDU which I rarely use.

alexpop likes this.
  24. alexpop

Mines seems to stay about the same size 1.300. Three hundred Blu Rays the rest DVDs.

25. alexpop

Wise move.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.