Does anyone still buy and collect DVDs?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by php111, Sep 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I went out this afternoon and down the road somebody had put various items out on their wall for people to help themselves to including close to 100 DVDs, mostly mainstream titles, but some good films and there was a steel book among them, I grabbed 15-20 that I may actually watch as well as leaving enough room in my bag to go shopping, a couple of hours later those I'd left had all been taken, it shows just how low the value of DVDs is when people can't even be bothered to try and sell them or take them to a charity shop.

2. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Another one I just recently got:
    "Bye Bye Birdie"
    [​IMG]

Jrr likes this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

bought an Alcatraz DVD that was purchased at the Alcatraz Museum...sealed in a local thrift shop.

Grand_Ennui and The Hud like this.
  4. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I hate to admit it, but I probably would have been hoggish and took them all (or well close to it)... :)

5. Grand_Ennui

I would have snatched that up up myself...

Michael likes this.
  6. Michael

it was interesting...much info on Alvin Karpis including interviews...

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  7. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

I buy dvds and blu rays at pawn shops for .25-2
    $3 each. Found some gems over the last couple years!

Michael likes this.
  8. Grand_Ennui

Pawn shops are one avenue for DVDs/Blu-Rays that I've yet to check out... There used to be one in town that even advertised them on their commercials (something like "Buy one, get one free on Tuesdays" or something like that)... I never made it into that shop, and now they're out of business...

9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Bought a lot recently.:agree: Should keep me busy for awhile.:cool:

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  10. Grand_Ennui

Made it to Walmart - The new season of "Gunsmoke" wasn't there, so I'll either check the Walmart on the other side of town, or order it from Barnes and Noble... But, the Walmart trip wasn't a total bust - They had "The Lone Ranger" Seasons One and Two in a combo pack for $24.96...

bmasters9 likes this.
  11. Grand_Ennui

Curious - Did you buy them new or at a thrift shop/used media shop? Also, are they movies or TV shows, or a little of both?

12. alexpop

Both

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  13. alexpop

I got about 20 titles. A couple of TV shows Orange Is The New Black & Peaky blinders. But 20 titles isn’t enough lol ..I need at least double that to last longer. I do buy new usually 70/30% more used. Sadly movies /tv related are my new fix past eight years.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    bmasters9 and Grand_Ennui like this.
  14. Grand_Ennui

I buy mostly new myself too... I really don't Amazon.com or eBay, so my purchases come from the store... I'd gladly buy used, but the thrift store I usually go to almost never has any used DVDs, and when they do, they're usually little kid stuff (picture "Thomas the Tank" for example) or movies I know I wouldn't like...

Nothing wrong with that... There's certainly a lot worse ways you could spend your time and/or money...

alexpop likes this.
  15. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I picked up Marathon Man and The Boys From brazil a while back. I haven't watched then yet because I've seen them so many times, both I had recorded from Showtime years ago. I will soon though. Also the Wild Bunch and McCabe and Mrs. Miller. Another two I had recorded long ago.

16. Michael

I buy DVD usually with prejudice...normally the DVD only releases should always be on BD as DVD is an older format...DVD is an insult.

17. Michael

25 cent BD...nice! : )

18. Slack Babbath

Slack Babbath Hit The North...

stepeanut likes this.
  19. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Slack Babbath likes this.
  20. Slack Babbath

Slack Babbath Hit The North...

I plan to watch THE LOT !

I recently picked up a copy of Encounters At The End Of The world for £1 at a local charity shop- love it .

I love his voice ! (And film making skills of course ! )

stepeanut likes this.
  21. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I had a difficult time giving mine away about two years ago if you can believe it. Admittedly they were all standard dvds (most I had repurchased on bluray) but they were very good titles inc Disney. Finally gave them to my brother in law and I know he was going to try and sell them off....wished him luck on that! Must have been at least 400 or more. Sad.

22. Michael

lately I've been buying DVD only releases that I am interested in.

23. Michael

24. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Yes.

Your broad equivalent in the United States is this effort from Shout Factory:

Herzog: The Collection Blu-ray

It should be noted, however, that not everything that appears on the Shout Factory release is on the BFI set, and vice versa. In particular, Shout’s effort is missing many of the short films included by the BFI, plus Les Blank’s essential Burden of Dreams documentary.

Once again, being region-free gives one more options.

unclefred likes this.
  25. Michael

thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.