Does anyone still buy and collect DVDs?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by php111, Sep 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I have no choice I have to buy 'em!

SteveM likes this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

They are cheap as chips, great entertainment for a handful of coppers.

3. Michael

I've also been getting current DVD releases for a buck...used.

4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Hollywood is where the action is.

5. mrwolk

mrwolk One and a half ears...no waiting!

I buy a lot of new and used DVDs from Amazon UK... mostly stuff still not available in North America...and even some Blu Ray stuff available here... but way cheaper.
    For instance i bought Hitchcock's "Rear Window " blu Ray for about $15.00.At Amazon Canada...it would have cost at least $10.00 more.

Shipping is about $5.00 and there is no VAT, duty or taxes to pay.
    There are many DVD players here than can be hacked to play PAL system discs.
    Takes minutes to set up.

6. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

In general, I find Amazon UK to be cheaper overall for BDs, DVDs, and CDs...especially box sets. You pay more for shipping, but it is usually offset by the removal of the VAT (value-added tax) before checkout. Both of my Blu-Ray players are multi-region...which is a wise investment for anyone who has a DVD or Blu Ray collection.

7. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

I enjoy staring at my shelves full of DVDs and BDs and ask myself "Hmmm, what do I want to watch tonight?" It's not only satisfying to have so much at my fingertips to choose from, but studying the cases will remind me of things I haven't seen in a long time, sparking ideas of what to watch. I don't get that same feeling while looking through Netflix.

I also think they are trying to stuff more time on each disc now, so they can get away with manufacturing fewer discs per package (thus saving money). The picture quality suffers as a result of too much compression.

8. Michael

I ain't complaining for the price of admission.

9. php111

php111 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hey: sorry and I know this thread is like 10 months old!

Anyway, instead of buying DVDs, what about renting from Netflix and burning to blank DVDs? So, if the Netflix movie is 4.7GB or smaller than burn to Verbatim DVD+R SL and if the Netflix movie is larger than 4.7GB than burn to Verbatim DVD+R DL with a layerbreak?

10. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I get where you are coming from and agree that time shifting the rentals to copies for later is a mighty fine idea including the backup on a blank.

But I have previously used a program called DVD shrink which makes all size DVDs fit to one single layer DVD 5. Never bothering with DL blanks. They come out fine.

But what I now do it rip the disc to a ISO image, or a Video TS file. Both the ISO or the TS can be played back from a thumb drive. In other words the DVD disc burning is no longer needed. No DVD backups on disc since this year began. Less clutter and less costs to do my movie viewing.

I might have already said this in the thread, I would need to look. Sorry if redundant.

11. Michael

DVDS: just bought a bunch used the other day for a 65 cents each...I'm really getting spoiled!

12. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Anything really good there? I mean really good!

Michael likes this.
  13. Michael

nothing earth shattering, but most def stuff I would watch...I come across hundreds in my travels weekly.

14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The stuff I see in the bargain bins looks pretty boring. I see supermarket bins with $15, $20, and up sets. Also boring.

Then there are the "Four Feature" sets at the drug stores which look good, except I've already seen the flicks they are including. But four movies mastered to one two-disc set is cool if they do it right.

Michael likes this.
  15. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I tend to catch up each summer on the previous Oscar winners/nominations. Makes the viewing stronger, better than average viewing. Or Oscar films from previous years that I never saw.

These films might be the rarest to find in bargain bins, at least for four or five years.

16. php111

php111 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

What about DVDs that makes our eyes go blind?? LOL! I am in my 30s and I am well retired from those movies. If I see talk going on in this thread than I might need to leave the building for a while until things cool down!! LOL :)

17. Michael

it's all luck...there have been times that I've come across excellent movies that I quite enjoyed and others that I would have never got to see at retail.

18. Michael

I've come across some 4 movie packs with 4 movies on individual DVDs...that's how they first released them years back..I have over 50 or more + sets....even if I saw 3 out of 4 movies in the set it's still worth the cheap price to pick it up.

19. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

I play my standard def DVD movies on my computer. My playback chain doubles the resolution and allows me to do all kinds of tweaking at the rendering stage using madVR software with my Nvidia GTX770. If the movie is a good transfer, the result looks almost as good as my Blu-rays of classic films.

The cheap prices nowadays are nice, but they've made copies of obscure movies even harder to find. I love Criterion, but there are just too many great movies on DVD to expect them all to show up in hi-def some day. I only have about a dozen VHS tapes left, and I've digitized those, but I'll have my DVD collection until I kick the bucket.

Michael likes this.
  20. Wondering

Wondering Well-Known Member

I think the OP is asking if anyone buys actual Discs, DVD blu rays, or if most have moved to digital streaming video.

Michael likes this.
  21. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I still buy DVDs(when price is low enough or it's an oddball title) and if it's something I really on Blu-ray. Spent $100 on 10 discs last weekend.

22. Michael

I love having a library at my disposal...fun picking a movie off the shelf at any given time!

audiomixer likes this.
  23. Michael

the thrill of the DVD hunt is wonderful...never know what we'll find! and most places have DVD for a buck and BR for $4.00 used...

24. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

:righton:

Michael likes this.
  25. Michael

you sure have a nice library as well...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.