Does anyone still buy and collect DVDs?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by php111, Sep 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Excuse my phone and the predictive text but my earlier post should say "hoarder" and not boarder and "acquired" not enquired!

2. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

The thread title was an interesting question in 2014 when begun -- it's quite so now!

Eric_Generic likes this.
  3. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I have my entire collection catalogued online, but it's been quite a while since I checked the stats page... I'd say maybe around 6000 titles, as a rough estimate.

Grand_Ennui and SteveM like this.
  4. Are we counting multi-disc sets separately as part of the total? If so, my collection approaches five digits.

Grand_Ennui, anorak2 and alexpop like this.
  5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Box set complete series I mark it it down as one. Buying wise I don’t bulk buy as I did 5/6 years ago as I have most titles I want. I usually have a list of about 100 titles I’m searching for dvds in particular, upgrade to blu ray eventually if necessary.

Grand_Ennui and PhantomStranger like this.
  6. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Most charity shops near me appear to charge 3, 5, 6, or even 10 for £1, and even then they have boxes of them.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  7. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Sounds like the thrift/charity shops here in my state in the US need to take a cue from the UK on their pricing...:agree:

I will say this: While the prices you're stating sound great to me, and I'd be digging thru every box there, the thrifts around here must be competitively priced for this city anyway because they have a pretty high turnover of the used DVDs... I'll go in and look at them and see some title that I think "Who'd want that?" and the next time I go in, it'll be gone...

Of course there are a few titles that are "shelf-warmers", but the bulk of the DVDs (and used CDs too) sell out pretty quickly...

8. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I don't have much luck with the thrift stores locally. It's a pretty pedestrian town with fairly pedestrian tastes and it shows. But the online thrift merchants on Ebay seem to be a pretty consistent place to find bargains on obscure exploitation titles, plus lots of stuff you never knew existed. A lot of them have free shipping too, so you can get quite an eclectic assortment of titles for 20 or 30 bucks.

There is definitely a collectors market starting to form, but sadly, it's the wild wild west, with many charging absolutely ridiculous prices for titles they have deemed as rare. There doesn't seem to be a lot of movement on these things, but the prices don't budge much either. I can't really see someone spending $150 for a Barbarian Queen II DVD, but maybe I am wrong. I think there is room for a collectors market, but perhaps a more reasonable one. It will be interesting to see how this plays out, especially as more and more retailers abandon DVD's all together.

PhantomStranger and Grand_Ennui like this.
  9. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

These types of Christmas titles are a good example where Blu-Ray isn't necessary. The only way
    I can see getting Blu-Rays would be if the Rankin/Bass Complete Collection came out with all of
    their specials. The ones here are: A Flintstones Christmas Carol / How The Grinch Stole Christmas
    -The Ultimate Edition / Rankin Bass Present The Original Christmas Specials Collection.
    [​IMG]

10. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Gotta keep physical media when it comes to movies. There is no film Spotify like there is with music.
    Netflix has hardly anything pre-1985.. Amazon Prime movies are often an additional cost to the membership.

11. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Depends how they were originally released. The big Bergman Criterion box set, for instance, counts as the number of films included, as they were theatrically issued individually. 'The Sopranos' counts as seven because, before the Complete Series BluRay set came out, they were released as individual season sets (the first five on DVD, the last two (awkwardly credited as "Season Six Part I" and "Season Six Part II".) Where seasons were only issued together ("Duckman", for instance, where seasons one and two were sold as one set, three and four as another), the get counted as just one each. Something like 'Futurama', which came out on DVD as the seasons were intended instead of how they aired, would be a challenge to count accurately otherwise. But one film spread over multiple discs (like, say, 'Out 1') just counts as one.

12. alexpop

Planning more shelves. DVDs are piling up.
    Harder to find space. Have to thin the herd.

Grand_Ennui and Eric_Generic like this.
  13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

since most Christmas movies are not released on BD I buy them on DVD...just got one yesterday...I love them.

Mesozoic Mike and Grand_Ennui like this.
  14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'm in the same boat! just terrible! I'm bailing water form a sinking ship but my bucket has a hole in it!..: (LOL...

15. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

amazon prime has lots of movies (4000) included with membership....

16. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Forum Resident

My last DVD purchase was the boxed set of "Justified" 18 DVDs.

I've just bought this to replace a VHS copy I ripped off the TV years ago, I was ever hoping it would be shown again, so I couuld record it to my Humax but hasn't. I did have a lot of film noir on VHS, but over time I've been replacing them, but if they don't turn up on TV again to download I'll buy the DVD.
    Sometimes I just prefer a "tangible copy" of films of which I'm fond.

Anyway for what could you ask than Jeanne Moreau and Miles Davis?

[​IMG]

17. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

Recent DVD buys Hud and Paint Your Wagon both used.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  18. Phil12

Phil12 Radiant Radish

Yup, buy them once in a whole for a buck or two.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  19. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I've got to check out "PYW" just to see Eastwood in a musical...

20. Phil12

Phil12 Radiant Radish

Latest: a very rare video cd The Woman In Red (with a priceless Gene Wilder), and the George Lucas classic American Graffiti.

21. alexpop

I’ve been getting loads from my local library 10cents per disc. Loads of arthouse stuff/ silent movies.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  22. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

Occasionally as my Firestick is so temperamental.

23. Trace

Trace Senior Member

My DVD/Blu-Ray collection is cataloged on Blu-ray.com. Looks like I currently have 1484 DVDs and 167 Blu-Rays. What isn't cataloged there is the 20 or so LaserDiscs I still have that haven't been released on any other format.

In the past year I may have bought 5-6 DVDs and about 10-15 Blu-Rays. I took a decade break from music about 2000-2010 where I really focused more on Cinema, but the past 8-9 years have been more focused back on music.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  24. joannenugent

joannenugent Forum Resident

I just purchased the complete series for Seinfeld on DVD.

Now if the set was available on bluray, I would gladly have taken that instead...I also tried watching the show on streaming services, but all the digital versions I could find are cropped to widescreen, which takes a bit out of the show for me.....

I am happy to move beyond DVD, but until better options are made available, I will also gladly keep buying those DVD sets.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  25. Seinfeld is likely never coming to Blu-ray. The show makes a fortune in syndication and Castle Rock has decided to keep it off the BD market.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.