Does anyone still buy and collect DVDs?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by php111, Sep 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Regarding "Seinfeld"-I'm a little over half-way there for owning the complete series- I own volumes 1-4 (vol.1 being seasons 1&2, vol.2 being season 3, vol. 3 being season 4, and vol. 4 being season 5)... All thrift store finds...

Today I found 5 DVDs at the thrift store: "Jaws" and "National Lampoon's Vacation" (both factory sealed), "Tales From the Darkside-The Movie", "Exorcist-The Beginning", and "Gunsmoke-The Directors Collection" (3 DVD set)... $1.00 each, except the "Gunsmoke" set, that was $2.98...

2. Grand_Ennui

Lucky dog :)

alexpop likes this.
  3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

No one seems to want them.

:shrug:

4. Grand_Ennui

"Them" as in the titles you're snapping up for .10c each, or "them" as in DVDs in general?

5. alexpop

Collect “
    DVDs, yeah. Nature of this thread theme.

I don’t inventory them though.

6. Grand_Ennui

As far as what I own on DVD, I don't have a master list either... I just go by memory and hope I don't buy a duplicate :) (Buying a duplicate has only happened once so far.)

Silver Surfer likes this.
  7. alexpop

I have a inventory app for dvds /blu rays. But I don’t catalog ex library DVDs as some are ok condition wise, some look trashed( but play ok).

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  8. alexpop

Making more shelves. And acutely making space to maneuver at the same time. :D

Grand_Ennui and PhantomStranger like this.
  9. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I still collect blu-rays of movies I like cause I pick them up at my local thrift shop for $1.50 each. I’ll still get dvds if I see something interesting like the Herzog/Kinski boxed set I just picked up for $3. It’s a buyer’s market for sure these days except brand new ones at Wal-mart or even Amazon are still priced high.

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

it seems there are way more Christmas movies on DVD unfortunately...so I buy them.

Mr Bass likes this.
  11. Mesozoic Mike

Mesozoic Mike Forum Resident

Tales From The Crypt; Complete Series

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  12. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I' bought "A Charlie Brown Christmas" which included a $5 credit on VUDU. I then used VUDU's Disc To Digital feature to add some of my
    DVD's (without digital copies) to VUDU using the $5 credit & I paid the $1 difference.
    [​IMG]

13. alexpop

Hope to bring some DVDs back today, new/used. Like to have something to watch over the weekend.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  14. More $1 DVDs and BDs are showing up at Dollar Tree this week.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  15. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

I only buy DVD if the title is not available on BD.

The only movies I have upgraded from DVD to BD are Scorsese, Coen Bros and a few other random titles if they are cheap and personal favourites.

I have approx 150 Laserdisc [1993-1996], 180 Blu-Ray [2010-present] & 800 DVD [1998-present].

16. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I recently bought a used copy of the John Wayne movie The High and the Mighty on DVD... only to discover later that I already owned it! Oops!

Maybe that's a sign that my DVD collection is getting too big... :p

Eric_Generic likes this.
  17. I hated when that first happened but it became increasingly common as my collection grew.

18. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I bought three last Thursday. "The Mule" I got because it was the price of a rental. "Tom & Jerry-
    Paws For A Holiday" & "I Want A Dog For Christmas Charlie Brown" I got for $5 each. They both
    had a $5 VUDU credit. I took the $10 credit & created VUDU digital copies for 5 of ny DVD's that
    didn't come with digital copies. I don't stream because I prefer physical copies but I consider my
    VUDU as a separate library I can use if away on vacation. Good deal.
    [​IMG]

PhantomStranger likes this.
  19. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

The same thing that happened with CD's is now happening with DVD's - they are so cheap it's very easy to experiment. If I can get a DVD for a buck or two, I have no qualms about watching it once and throwing it on the scrap heap if it sucks.

Again though, it's the High End market that needs to balance out. Not only is it ridiculous to think someone is going to pay $150 for a copy of Bloodfist 12, but it seems more and more that the counterfeiters are going all out to sell phony copies of the rarer titles. I actually don't mind buying DVR's as long as I know up front that's what I'm getting - there is no other way to see some movies, but I've gotten burned a few times and it seems to be more common now.

It will be interesting to see, as this collector's market evolves, if it self regulates after awhile. I think we need a Discogs for DVD's...

20. alexpop

Dvdogs good idea.

21. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Bought my first DVD in ages this week. It was the "Joni 75: A Birthday Celebration" disc. I'm sure they will begin preparing a high definition release now. :laugh:

22. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Good idea.

23. alexpop

IMDb lite.
    No forum discussion commenting on discs ?

24. I don't believe so - it's a site you can catalog your DVD/Blu-ray/UHD collections. Not perfect of course but does cover most commercially released Blu-rays for example.

alexpop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.