Does anyone still buy and collect DVDs?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by php111, Sep 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Obviously, I lucked out, to a degree, with the price and the fact that mine is factory-sealed, but I do come across open copies of the box set a fair bit.

I took this photo of mine on the day of purchase:

[​IMG]

Thank you, CRUK!

Dave S likes this.
  2. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Yes, sad to see Mr. Derek go. I saw it on the BBC, and we have a RIP thread here on the forum.

I passed on one of the Yes, Minister books in a chaz a couple of months ago. Probably should have bought it, but I have a bit of a problem with buying too many books as it is. Probably found this in one of my rare self-guilt moments :)

Eric_Generic and Dave S like this.
  3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I try to thin the herd get rid of ( well try) a hundred bd / DVD titles a year. And still I accumulate more.. case of cheap as chips used at least. Don’t go to the cinema every week like I used to, or watch tv ( some news that’s about it) so I have no qualms about buying media new or used...value for money imo. I have a list of 60 titles I’m still searching for. Good fun when you find a film you’ve seeking.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  4. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Yes, it's not an uncommon. I usually see it for about £5. If it turned up at my local Air Ambulance, which is a clearance shop, then it would be 50p, assuming you can find another 5 DVDs/CDs/books for your £1 (yes folks, you can buy 10 DVDs for a third of the price of a coffee at Costa).

stepeanut and alexpop like this.
  5. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

:laugh::laugh:
    And to think I paid £1 for just one season.... I was clearly robbed! :laugh:

6. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

I hear ya. I only have about a half-dozen or so titles on my wishlist, so I suppose I could just bite the bullet and order them all off Amazon or wherever......but where's the fun in that?

7. alexpop

I buy used dvd titles cheap. Don’t buy online .. so that leaves me at the mercy of chance. If it’s a new film .. I’ll go to a dvd/Blu Ray store and buy it full price, no biggie.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  8. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Not really because it's worth a Pound (especially now that it isn't shown on Freeview), but you will want the full series at some point. As I said, I thought the books were better because they turned them into a series of diaries with added comments by Bernard, who rose to the head of the Civil Service. I might crack open the DVD set next week.

stepeanut likes this.
  9. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Do you go to proper retail stores or just charity shops? If I has the selection of stores that I find elsewhere, I would probably buy more in store than online.

10. I do not. Every Pawn Shop within an hour drive sales DVDs from anywhere from .75 to $1.00 each, and will only give you .10 a piece if you want to sale to them. So, no I no longer spend my money on DVDs.

Michael likes this.
  11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

there are still DVDs out there that are not on BD..I always check before I waste any money on DVDs...

12. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I bought a few more used DVDs at the thrift store last night, so yeah, I'm still buying them...

13. Grand_Ennui

You don't buy DVDs anymore due to the buying and pricing practices of pawn shops?

Planbee likes this.
  14. Grand_Ennui

Wouldn't it be better to own a title on DVD than not own it at all?

Michael and melstapler like this.
  15. alexpop

The secret to buying DVDs is don’t sell them.

16. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Very few, but that's only because the releases of TV shows from the 50s, 60s and 70s have slowed down to a trickle. I still pick up whatever is coming out, such as the continuing releases of Bonanza, Gunsmoke, etc. and the odd show here and there, like Deadline, Public Defender, and such. But the days of spending a few hundred dollars a month on releases are over, because they just are putting as much out anymore. If the companies were still cranking them out, I would still be ordering them.

As for blue ray, I'm not interested, for several reasons, not the least of which is I don't have HD TV. But also because I said that DVD was going to be my last format switch. I've dealt with 3/4, EAIJ, VHS, SVHS, Beta, Super Beta, 16mm and finally DVD. I'm done changing formats and transferring.

17. Yes, I don't feel like they're a good investment anymore.

18. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

C'mon, when was media, of any format, ever a good investment? I'd be at least a quarter-million dollars wealthier if I'd of invested the money I spent on audio and video media in my life.

19. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Hallelujah brother. I do it because it's FUN (supposedly...)

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  20. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Now I am discovering Twilight Time. I got some really cheap blu's of Broadway Danny Rose and Zelig on eBay but they say they are limited editions of only about 3000 copies. I had never even heard of these editions before. Does Twilight Time have some sort of agreement with the bigs to do special limited licensing? The Blu of BDR looks fantastic but no extras, as is often the case with Woody's films. Both of these movies deserve Criterion release IMHO but these will do for now.

These boutique video houses are going to be the death of me. I keep finding more!

21. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

So true, well said!

alexpop likes this.
  22. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

You can still 'save' and 'play.' I started saving for retirement at age 18.

23. Michael

of course if I am forced to I do...

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  24. Michael

Indeed...Olive, Arrow, Vinegar Syndrome....

Mr. Even B likes this.
  25. Michael

LOL... you are not alone...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.