Does anyone still buy and collect DVDs?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by php111, Sep 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Shouldn't most of the movies those clips came from be in Public Domain by now? If so, it shouldn't cost that much to put it on Blu-Ray & DVD.

2. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Some of the clips are from good movies. There's a clip from The Day The Earth Stood Still and War of The Worlds. Most of the clips are from wretched films though such as 1953's Robot Monster, the film where gorillas from outer space wear space helmets with NTSC antennas on 'em and use super computers to mathematically destroy the Human race, except for a few straglers. The action is hectic...:D.... around the alien's secret cave with their TV monitor communication device and the director's stereo set up on a table as an important looking prop. ;) I don't think that some of the movies they draw from have ever been on home video....??? There are some rare and funny clips in the lot.

I wish somebody would sort out the rights. It's one of the short list of movies that Gilda Radner was in during her short life. The late John Candy is in it too. All in all, it's pretty funny.

Spadeygrove likes this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that's a thought, but most likely there's no interest in the movie or a problem with licensing (to expensive) ...

4. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

5. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

I currently own over 4000 DVD/Blu-rays. It has become my new activity when I am bored, depressed or feel like rewarding myself. I go out to flea markets and see what crazy deals I can get. Only lately I have been spending more online to fill in the gaps of my collection. I know that my collecting is mainly a leftover of my previous "career" buying and selling rare VHS for 10 years.

6. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I own around 350 discs between Blu-ray and DVD. I am done buying new ones after Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker. I found VUDU and I just find this so convenient to use that I really just don't need discs anymore. I still use the Xbox One S because my parents rent DVDs at Redbox when they come up. But all my purchases/rentals are in VUDU now. I get that it's lower quality and I am okay with that. People can say "oh you don't really own it." Guess what you don't really own a disc either.

7. Graham

Graham Senior Member

??

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Dvd been looking for turned out to be wrong region. Sony do a multi region playerDVP SR760 that I’ll have to get( noisy..but cheap).

9. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

And I still remember from that movie when the kid insults the gorilla space alien with the line..."You look like a pooped out pinwheel". I think I was 8 or 10 when I watched that movie and remember laughing so hard after the kid said that line.

I still wouldn't buy the DVD of it if it exists. It was very slow paced with a lot of walking around from the alien's cave and what looked like the back lot of Little House On The Prairie. It got real boring except for that insult line.

10. Paul_s

Paul_s Forum Resident

Haven't bought DVD in a while. Many of them I sold or upgraded to either Blu-ray or Laserdisc.

Current count;

41x Laserdiscs
    40x DVD's + 2 box sets
    16x Blu-ray

Used to have almost 100 Blu-ray's but just keeping hold of favourite titles now.

11. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Would you care to elaborate on that? Seriously, and with no disrespect intended, I would like to know how you figure this? If I don't really own my DVDs (and few Blu-Rays), do I not own the CDs I purchased down thru the years either?

My sentiments exactly, although instead of just question marks, in my mind it's a definite wtf moment.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  12. Time Is On My Side

Copy protection stops you from using the content the way you want (legally at least). If they stop making players, then your entire collection is useless once you no longer have a way to play the discs.

13. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Yes! As useless as my 48 year old vintage Sansui amplifier and 28 year old Technics CD player which sounds gorgeous on my 1984 big box two way speakers as I'm listening right this moment.

Pardon my facetious tone, but to be serious you really need to consider the thousands of CD players in thrift stores and online new and old to indicate that you're point is quite unrealistic. There will be CD players available long after anyone who buys CD's has died of old age.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

players will always be around...especially CD. I see many in my travels.

Grand_Ennui and 905 like this.
  15. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

After just reading the thread on the many ways in which Blue Rays are annoying, I feel justified in continuing to buy the sort of DVD titles I like.

16. alexpop

Ironically DVDs seem to sell better than blu rays( lawn sale). I’ve found, usually older folk.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  17. alexpop

Looking through the charity shop boxes 3 DVDs for a $, usual suspects, ..sometimes get lucky snag three I don’t have.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    Grand_Ennui likes this.
  18. melodic chaos

melodic chaos Forum Resident

I am still purchasing movies on disc.
    There's too much of a risk with digital purchases that you can lose the content if studio decides to pull it.
    If I pay the same price for a digital release as I would the disc version and 5 years down the road the studio decides to pull it from distribution, at least if I purchased the disc, I can still watch it, where as the digital release can be removed from my library and I've thrown my money away.

Tim Lookingbill and Grand_Ennui like this.
  19. alexpop

Digital removed from library”?
    Rip off!!!!

20. Time Is On My Side

I have only ever read about one instance of this actually happening here - Apple Is Deleting Bought Films From iTunes Accounts - And Don't Expect A Refund . I think the idea that these providers will just go in and start removing all of your purchases and tell you to go pound sand when you ask why is blowing it out of proportion. I have seen stuff removed off of VUDU where you cannot buy or rent it, but I can still access it if it's something I already bought. For example, The Abyss (Special Edition) and True Lies. I have both of these in my VUDU locker from when I did the mobile disc-to-digital redeem there using the DVD UPCs. You cannot buy or rent these in VUDU, but my copies can still be streamed on my Roku. If this really bothers people, then simply rent content digitally, don't buy it. Or get the DVD/Blu-ray/4K disc. And if studios/providers really did go in and just start removing all your purchases, I'd expect to see a tsunami of lawsuits headed their way.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  21. alexpop

Moral ?
    Always get at least a dvd of the film.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  22. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I would never "buy" a stream.

Tim Lookingbill and Grand_Ennui like this.
  23. Graham

Graham Senior Member

There are zero reasons why Blu-ray is worse than DVD. Zero.

24. alexpop

Some BD discs don’t let you resume film ie resume playback yes- no option doesn’t appear. If I’m watching a bd disc I switch it off mid-way I always clock the time code.. just in case the resume yes/no option is not available. Assuming nocando, I then go to BD chapters and locate approximation of scene then use FF .. bit of a hassel. No probs with humble dvd.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  25. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Maybe, but there are reasons why DVDs are still worth buying and why it's still a valid format.

Grand_Ennui and 905 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.