Does anyone still buy and collect DVDs?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by php111, Sep 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Sure. Plenty of material is only available on DVD.

2. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

yawp - lots and lots of fantastic movies are only available on DVD. I try for the best available source whenever I can, but I'd rather have a DVD than have to stream. Just call me boomer.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  3. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I just bought a DVD from Amazon for a movie called "12:01". I saw it once years ago, had it taped on a VHS tape but never watched it again. I thought of it the other day and found that it was only ever released on DVD, so I was happy to find it. It's en route.

4. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Blu-Ray yes!

DVD's only if released only in that format and not Blu-Ray.

5. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I don't even buy Blu rays anymore, but......

Word has it there will be a new Beatles "Let It Be" movie coming out.........

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  6. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

If what I saw today on the news of the closing of hospitals here in rural Texas due to a lack of business is any indication of things to come in the future, I don't see how streaming is going to replace disc purchases due to the fact a lot of rural areas don't get this service from their media content providers and if they do it's a fact quality and/or dependability of it working as intended can't be depended on.

We need hospitals more than streaming services and it's such a problem that the government is considering having to step in for both.

And I'm sure that's going to work out just fine if that ever happens. Right? :whistle:

I'm keeping my discs and will continue purchasing them and I live in town of around 90K population.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  7. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

I hate streaming movies......I want the physical movie in pristine quality-thus I still but Blu-Rays and have started to dabble into the 4K discs!

Jrr and Bingo Bongo like this.
  8. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

I started collecting box-sets of TV comedy series on DVD over the last few years .

Curb Your Enthusiasm / The Office / Seinfeld /Alan Partridge ..etc

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  9. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Yep, that's probably the main reason. And while most Blu-rays do look great, there are also a surprising number of instances where the Blu-ray offers little to no improvement over the DVD version.

Mr Bass likes this.
  10. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

When my customers bring DVD's, Blu-Rays, vinyl & CD's to my counter to purchase, I thank them for buying them & they all say the same thing. They want to "own" their movies & music! I then tell them how they can get their digital copies of their movies on VUDU to use when they travel but it's still very important to buy the physical copy first. I have a lot of young people buying vinyl & CD's too. I ask them why & they say they want to own it. That makes me happy!

Jrr and Grand_Ennui like this.
  11. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

I've been tempted to do the same myself, as it seems that due to rise of streaming many people are currently offloading their DVD collections - with a lot of it ending up at thrift stores. I've bought entire TV series for $10 (30 discs all up, for example), such as The West Wing, The Office, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Sopranos, The Wire, etc. The same sets on BD would run into the hundreds of dollars, and although I will only purchase feature-length movies on BD, at $10 the TV series sets are just too good to pass up. I've only experienced one bum DVD from a thrift store in my entire run (amusingly, a copy of Jess Franco's Faceless), so I've had a good run.

12. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

Yeah, I see many copies of those TV shows by season for $5 and under. I have probably gone overboard, often buying a movie for $1 that I just sort of like. But it kills time. Just today at a Christian thrift shop I picked up the 1959 Vincent Price classic The Tingler for a buck, and since I already own it I will be donating it to a friend/collector. At that same store a year ago I bought with $1 a brand new copy of the notorious and banned Jud Suss https://www.amazon.com/Jud-Suss-Jew...eywords=jus+suess&qid=1581656464&sr=8-1-spell. The only thing keeping me from selling it for hundreds is the good chance it might be bought by a neo-Nazi. You may not be able to sell DVDs for much at pawn shops, but on Ebay certain titles more than make money back. I remember selling Woman in Black 1989 for $100 about 10 years ago, and 2 copies of Sorority House Massacre 1 & 2 for around $70. All were purchased for $1 or less.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    Grand_Ennui likes this.
  13. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I will only buy something if I think I will watch it more than a few times. When I buy, I prefer to buy through VUDU. Then I do not need to deal with the disc and shelf space. It's surprising when going through my collection how many things I own on DVD/Blu-ray that I never watched more than a couple of times. I am planning on Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker to be my final disc purchase. To me, VUDU HDX is good enough quality when watching a movie on my average home theater setup. Sitting there scrutinizing every detail of the picture or sound, in my opinion, takes away from the enjoyment of the movie.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  14. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Forum Resident

This was the last DVD I bought, a few months ago. It was to replace a rather tired VHS tape I had recorded off the TV about twenty years before.

[​IMG]

They don't make 'em like this any more.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    jawaka1000 and John B Good like this.
  15. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I just got two more yesterday. "Phone Call From A Stranger" & "To
    Have And Have Not". These classics are great! More on the way too!
    [​IMG]

Doghouse Riley likes this.
  16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Collect ?
    Lordy, yes.
    Bought 14, new.. in the last week.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  17. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Buying as many of the ones I want as I can find. Kicking myself for selling so many as I did in past 5-15 years ago :(

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  18. alexpop

I didn’t start collecting dvds till 2010/11 traded them in for Blu Rays in 2013( also cds about 200 for bd).

Ironically a couple years later I was trading the Blu Rays for Vinyl.

Moral : good to have media to trade / sell.

19. alexpop

Buying used.
    Do you put the DVD’s in a new case ?

20. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I recently got "Chernobyl" also & I posted about it on another thread.
    I want to give you all a heads up on this thread too for those of you who
    want to get this. Walmart has this DVD priced at $25 with the UPC
    ending with 8883. Look around to see if you can find one that has a
    replacement UPC sticker ending with 1254. It's only $10. & that's the
    one I got. Hope this helps!
    [​IMG]

21. alexpop

I’be got loads about a hundred to sell this summer front lawn yard sale. Got rid of 40 titles last year. $ a piece, pretty good to get that these days.

22. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Got the biggest haul of cheap DVD's visiting three thrift stores last week. Checked that all worked fine. All look surprisingly sharp played through my Sony BD player which I bought at a thrift store for $20. No problems with widescreen/16x9 aspect ratio. All pictured below was under $20 total.

Couldn't help but think streaming must be taking over because my local Goodwill thrift store had so many DVD's than they usually have that their two 8ft. wide shelves were filled up and even more had to put in a shopping cart making searching for good movies a very time consuming but enjoyable experience. The one title I was glad I found was "Orphan" which I was going to pay about $8 or more on Amazon, but got it for $2 at Goodwill.

As a health safety precaution I've been wiping down these DVD cases with an antimicrobial Lysol wipe. Was wondering if anyone else did the same.

[​IMG]

23. alexpop

I usually cleane used dvd cases ( or replace them) with lighter fuel.

24. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

When I buy a used DVD, I just keep it in the case I purchased it in, providing it has all its center "teeth" to hold the disc in place.

I bought a sealed pack of 10 DVD cases at a thrift store*... So far I haven't had to open them, as most every used DVD I purchase has its case in pretty nice condition, so I'll save the new cases for something that really might need them.

About the * in the above paragraph- When I was buying the pack of DVD cases, the cashier checking them out looked at them and asked if there were any more of them and I said no I bought the only pack there was... He said if he had seen them, he would have bought them because he has a collection of around four thousand movies and how he had them all organized on shelves, etc. He was a younger guy, but I was glad to see someone younger being a collector of physical media.

Silver Surfer and alexpop like this.
  25. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Is the lighter fluid something you use to remove stickers from them?

I've been looking for something that'll remove price tag stickers from DVD and CD cases... I've bought a bottle of "Goo-Gone" at Walmart, but after doing some reading about that product, I've read where somebody said "Goo-Gone" leaves an oily residue on the stuff they removed stickers from, and I'd prefer to have something that's done in one shot rather than having to wipe down a case I just removed a sticker from. The cleaner and less time consuming the better...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.